Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boeing doesn't get contract.

jnhay

On a completely unrelated note, I grew up not far from Mount Airy.

I assume the hobby train store is long gone... :(

But the duckpin lanes are still there, right?

[sorry, back to the topic at hand]

On a completely unrelated note, I grew up not far from Mount Airy.

I assume the hobby train store is long gone... :(

But the duckpin lanes are still there, right?

[sorry, back to the topic at hand]

I've never gone to the train store, but I think the one you're talking about is the one I'm thinking of. As for duckpin lanes? I think I've heard something about it, so it should still be there.

No, but please expand.
Congress and the Department of Defense (civil servants) also are part of this process.

The M-16 was originally a piece of crap because it didn't have a chromeplated barrel. This resulted in it jamming in combat. A lot.

The DoD's opinion of it was "well, the manufacturer would've equipped it with a chromeplated barrel if it needed it." Wrong. The manufacturer didn't test it over a long period in jungle conditions.

It wasn't until reports started coming in from Vietnam that they realized their mistake. Meanwhile guys died because they had to try to tear down and clean their guns in the middle of a firefight. :(

I thought critical military systems had to be produced in the US.

National security and all...

I believe the critical systems WILL be produced in the U.S. I.e., there are many system components that make up a military aircraft - not all of them critical.

Is it too cynical to think that Diplomacy or Nato politics had something to do with Airbus getting the bid? Maybe a deal was hashed out when Sarkozy was vacationing with Bush last Summer. We'll have to see if France votes with the U.S. in some U.N. vote later this year.

Getting contract without bid = excoriation

Losing contract with bid = excoriation

win/win.

Throwing around a big word (which, as near as I can tell from trying to look it up, doesn't have a thing to do with the topic): Priceless.

:)

Are the planes going to be built here?

Because if not...that is a national security problem. What if the Airbus factories in Europe are compromised?

If something big were to go down and we needed to build a lot of these things very fast then how could we do this if they are being made in Europe?

This really sucks. Not only because of the implications for the U.S. economy, but from a personal standpoint, my dad's company does business with Boeing and in light of them getting this contract, my dad's company would've gotten a million dollar job. Now they see none of that money either. Sucks.

As a Northrop employee I'm pretty excited about it. It does deliver a blow to the American job market, but only Boeing's arrogance is to blame. EADS/NG will deliver a more robust and superior tanker, and this will open up opportunities for future NG aviation projects. I feel that over time the job market impact will be minimal. EADS may be European but NG is another American company after all, and frankly has a strong hand in the success of Airbus.

Archived