Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WRs available in Rounds 3-5

PlayAction

not saying anything bad bout arrington, but Jordy just flat out pops. remember Jordy was about KSUs only real threat whereas arrington had Manningham pulling coverage to his side. I just see him in the mold of easy ed.

What really bothers me is Calius Campbells Dline coach in college is our new Dline coach, I will be shocked if he is anything above average :( CC is a bust lock it up.

on a side note how awesome are Chris Long and Vernon Gholston geeze o me!

not saying anything bad bout arrington, but Jordy just flat out pops. remember Jordy was about KSUs only real threat whereas arrington had Manningham pulling coverage to his side. I just see him in the mold of easy ed.

What really bothers me is Calius Campbells Dline coach in college is our new Dline coach, I will be shocked if he is anything above average :( CC is a bust lock it up.

on a side note how awesome are Chris Long and Vernon Gholston geeze o me!

Agree with that. Lot of help for Adrian Arrington on that Michigan team. Plus I just like how physical Jordy Nelson plays - plays much bigger than his 6'3/215 size, great strong hands that don't drop, muscles people aside. You can see how he used to be a safety, very physcial.

I disagree. A third round pick is a HIGH pick and not just where you hope to find "diamonds in the rough". In the third round you get guys who were incredibly productive in college but for some reason are not considered elite prospects.

Actually the Cooley situation proves my point.

Apparently you've forgotten what the general reaction was at the time we traded our 2nd round pick to get Cooley. I know. I know. You "knew" he was going to be good, but most weren't as smart as you.

The reaction then was exactly as I described in my post.

And, for the record, Cooley was pick 81. We have pick 84.

Actually the Cooley situation proves my point.

Apparently you've forgotten what the general reaction was at the time we traded our 2nd round pick to get Cooley. I know. I know. You "knew" he was going to be good, but most weren't as smart as you.

The reaction then was exactly as I described in my post.

And, for the record, Cooley was pick 81. We have pick 84.

When Cooley was picked I had never really looked at anything past the first round. So I knew nothing about him. But, when I read his bio after the pick I was psyched. I expected him to be good and was pleasantly surprised at how important he became to the team. But, I've whiffed on many other players so I don't consider myself a draft guru.

This year I'm more bored during the offseason so I'm looking at potential players down to the 3rd/4th rounds. Jordy Nelson makes me think of a WR version of Cooley. I do expect him to be good. If the Skins pick him and he's a bust then we can blame Vinny because he's supposed to know more than me! :)

When Cooley was picked I had never really looked at anything past the first round. So I knew nothing about him. But, when I read his bio after the pick I was psyched. I expected him to be good and was pleasantly surprised at how important he became to the team.
:laugh: that was exactly what i did! I have however watched Jordy a couple of times and he will help us out on kickoff and punt returns!:cheers:

As a 4th or 5th round pick, Jordy appears to be a steal. He's more "Monk-ish" (Art, not Adrian) than Arrington, in that he has 30 more pounds that will add to his YAC and is a definite plus when catching balls over the middle. Plus Arrington is from Michigan, home of Desmond Howard, another of our WR busts. [Just my personal prejudice.]

If Jordy's available...in the 4th or 5th... and we already drafted at least one stud lineman and another for depth. Yeah, I could go for it.

Definitely no 1st round gambles on WR's though. Skins have been burned too many times. The last good 1st round WR we got was Art Monk in 1980.

• 2 weeks later...
Skins need a WR but, like many of you, I don't think the Skins need to look for one in the first round. My guess is that the Skins are looking for a WR to fit the Split End position in the WCO. I've been scanning the different draft sites looking for WRs that might fit the bill. Quick off the line, good route runner, position receiver and most importantly productive in college. Jordy Nelson from Kansas State seems like he might work.

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 217 | 40-Time: 4.60

NFLDraftcountdown

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has excellent size and bulk with a solid frame...Very productive...Has soft, reliable hands...Shows terrific body control and ball skills...He's more quick than fast...Can run after the catch a bit...Smart, hard working and tough...Still has a little upside.

Weaknesses:

Does not have great timed speed and lacks a burst...Is not much of a deep threat and won't stretch the field vertically...Is just a slightly above average blocker...Still relatively new to the position & must work on mastering its techniques / nuances.

Per NFL Combine Player Stats

Overview

Nelson signed with Kansas State as a safety before making the transition to wide receiver as a sophomore.

His initial season at receiver was impressive, with Nelson earning Honorable Mention Big 12 honors with 45 catches for 669 yards and eight TDs. Hampered by a knee injury that caused him to miss three games, Nelson saw his numbers drop to 39 catches for 547 yards and only one score in 2006 before exploding into a First Team All-American in 2007. Nelson finished second only to Biletnikoff winner Michael Crabtree (Texas Tech) in both catches (122) and receiving yards (1,606).

As the focus on the Kansas State passing game, Nelson's numbers are clearly inflated. To attribute his success strictly to this offense, however, is a mistake. His combination of size, route-running and hands make him at least a quality possession receiver prospect.

Ultimately, Nelson's stock will be determined by his 40-yard dash time. The 4.62 he clocked for scouts last spring is not indicative of Nelson's true speed. This timing came with Nelson still rehabilitating his left knee injury and thus, may not be indicative of his true speed. He was an all-state track star during high school and has been timed at a 10.62 in the 100-meter dash.

Nelson's strong senior campaign assures him of being drafted. A strong postseason performance in the Senior Bowl and at the Combine could result in his stock skyrocketing.

Positives: Intriguing combination of size, hands and overall athleticism for the position. ... Developed into an All-American wideout after signing with Kansas State as a safety. ... Good initial quickness off the snap to get into his route. ... Sneaky deep speed made more effective by good route-running. ... Best attribute might be his hands and toughness. ... Can adjust to the poorly thrown ball and pluck it out of the air or off his shoe laces. ... Knows when to make the body catch when defenders are near. ... Good body control to get his feet down in bounds and knows where the first down marker is. ... Enjoyed strong games against quality cornerbacks (Dwight Lowery, Terrence Wheatley, Aqib Talib). ... Enjoyed a monster senior campaign -- but was very effective as a sophomore and junior (pre-injury) as well. ... Faster on the field than his timed 40-yard dash would indicate.

Negatives: A better athlete than given credit for, but isn't the elite athlete his senior production may have you believe. ... Good route-runner, but lacks explosiveness out of his breaks and elite deep ball speed. ... Primary target in this offense, receiving more than twice as many passes his way than any other Wildcat receiver. ... Big play artist for KSU, but may lack the acceleration to be anything more than a possession receiver at the next level. ... Suffered a sprained PCL in his left knee that hampered him throughout the 2006 season.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

So the guy doesn't have elite speed and is unlikely to be a deep threat. So what? Skins have the deep threat in Moss. If Jordy Nelson is as good as these writeups he sounds perfect for the Skins. Even better, the lack of elite speed plus many WRs ahead of him mean that he would likely be a mid round pick. Unfortunately, Skins don't have a 4th round pick.

What do you guys think? Any other mid round possibilities out there?

Just so I understand- Are you guys thinking of this guy as a first year starter??

Or as a player who will be developed into a NFL pro in a couple of years?

Just so I understand- Are you guys thinking of this guy as a first year starter??

Or as a player who will be developed into a NFL pro in a couple of years?

I expect him to be able to play in year 1. I don't expect him to be a superstar but someone who can contribute. That is, I expect him to be more than a special teams player.

You should have made a thread about DEs availible in the 3-5th rounds, as that's the round where the best DEs in the league have came from.

On the contrary, the best WRs are drafted in the 1st. But you can pretend that drafting a DE high and a WR late is a smart idea.

I disagree. I don't really know about DEs, but there have been a lot of first round WR busts the past few years.

Name the top 10 WRs this past season, then look at what round they were drafted in.

Then look at the Top 10 DEs this past season, and look at what round they were drafted in.

Once you do that, you'll realize that the Best WRs were drafted in the 1st round, and the Best DEs came around the 4-6th.

I would be really happy if the 'skins drafted Arman Shields from Richmond.

He is 6'1 and very fast.

I know him personally and he is a great guy, humble, but also very talented. The reason nobody is talking about him is because he was hurt for all but one game this past year,and he's from a small program. But he was the best athlete on Richmond's very good football team this past year and had an incredible combine-- he finished no lower than 7th among wide outs in every single category of work outs, including:

7th among wr's in the 40: 4.44 seconds

T 7th in the bench press: 19 reps

T 2nd in the vertical jump: 37.5 inches

2nd in the broad jump: 10'8"

2nd in the 3 cone drill: 6.67 seconds

1st in the 20 yard shuttle: 3.96 seconds

1st in the 60 yard shuttle: 10.87 seconds

If Arman hadn't been hurt, I seriously think that Richmond could have beaten Appalachian State when they played them in the Semifinals this year because he is as good and athletic as Dexter Jackson is.

Hopefully b/c Shields is relatively unknown we could steal him late or even as rookie FA.

Here are my late round (3rd or later) WR gems courtesy of:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008WR.php

I'm assuming Jordy Nelson and Andre Caldwell will be gone by the third.

William Franklin, Missouri

Height: 6-0. Weight: 214.

Projected 40 Time: 4.40.

Combine 40 Time: 4.37.

Vertical: 34.5. Broad .

Projected Round: 3-4.

Jerome Simpson, Coastal Carolina

Height: 6-1. Weight: 190.

Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

Vertical: 37.5. Broad 11-4.

Projected Round: 4.

Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State (Smaller receiver but fast as hell)

YouTube - #2 WR Dexter Jackson Catches

Height: 5-9. Weight: 185. Projected 40 Time: 4.33.

Vertical: . Broad .

Projected Round: 4-5.

*A Local kid*

Arman Shields, Richmond

Height: 6-0. Weight: 194.

Projected 40 Time: 4.44.

Combine 40 Time: 4.44.

Vertical: 37.5. Broad 10.8.

Projected Round: 7.

That's my point. You didn't know who he was.

Why would you argue when your reaction was EXACTLY as I described in my first post?

Here's your full quote:

Pretty much any WR you'd get excited about will be long gone by our 3rd round pick.

If we get one that late, it will be someone, you'll be like, "who?", like Edward Williams and/or someone you'll think sucks."

The reaction may initially be "who" but it definitely is not the guy must suck. I consider a 3rd round pick to be a high pick. When the Skins picked Cooley I looked up all of the draft bios on him. My reaction then was "good pick, I think he'll work well for the Skins". Cooley was extremely successful in college and his skill set fit the Skins needs. IMO, success in college and fitting the scheme are the keys to a good pick. I think Jordy Nelson fits that mold. He was successful in college as the "go to" guy and I believe he would fit in a WCO as either the split end or the slot receiver. He won't be picked really high because his school is not known as a football powerhouse and he doesn't appear to have the same big play ability as other highly ranked WRs. However, based upon his combine results he might jump into the 3rd round from earlier projections of 4-5th.

Archived