Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillip Merling (DE) The Redskins pick at 21

voicekiller

Limas Sweed wont go in the first round.. Not with that injury he had on his wrist and he reinjured a couple weeks ago and the senior bowl.

Sweed will be a low 2nd round pick

I would like that. I'm fine with taking Merling or Campbell in the first round, Sweed in the 2nd, and the best available 3-technique DT in the 3rd round.

What's your take? (I've read your posts as of late I can't quite remember what your opinion was on wide receivers).

Vinny has basically said we will NOT be drafting a DE at #1 so why all the chatter about it still?

The front office isn't dumb enough to rule out anything. I don't think any position except qb, rb, lt and fs can be completely ruled out.

It's a absolute crap shoot, 7 DE's could be drafted and only one pans out as a pro bowler, but if you go by all the analyst all the 1st Rounders should have gone to the pro bowl every year, LOL. 2002 draft for DE's by far was the best in the last 10 years:

1 2 Julius Peppers North Carolina Carolina Panthers

1 11 Dwight Freeney Syracuse Indianapolis Colts

1 22 Bryan Thomas Alabama-Birmingham New York Jets

1 25 Charles Grant Georgia New Orleans Saints

2 35 Kalimba Edwards South Carolina Detroit Lions

All of them have been above average to Pro bowler status.

Not worth it in the 1st round. Maybe a 2nd rounder?

Here's ESPN's scouting report on him:

Merling doesn't have the speed of a dominant edge rusher or the size of an every-down defensive tackle. However, he's big enough to develop into an effective run stuffer at end and quick enough to get to the passer when lined up at defensive tackle so he projects as a second round pick.

I think 21 is a GREAT place for the Redskins to be. Either Malcolm Kelley, Limas Sweed, Calais Campbell or Phillip Mervin will be there. Its a win-win-win-win. I could see any one of the players flourishing in our system. If Mervin or Campbell is there take them and hope that the Indiana WR who is 6'7 falls to the second round.

Archived