Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Funniest NFL Clip-Bobby Mitchell

WashingtonFederals

George Preston Marshall gets Mitchell in a trade...

At the first team meal, Marshall asks the team to sing "Dixie"...

The team begins to sing, and then Marshal looks right at Bobby and yells

"BOBBY MITCHELL, SING"!!!

Bobby is so scared, he just moves his jaw around, and pretends...

Classic...

Ummmmmmmm ok... :wtf:

Let's make this thread WORTH something. Can you give us a little background on Mr. Jackson? I don't recall hearing much about him.

Excellent idea. I'd vote for canning this one and starting a thread about Jackson instead.

And maybe a NNT to boot.

Some background for those who don't know about Marshall:

"According to professor Charles Ross, "For 24 years Marshall was identified as the leading racist in the NFL".[1] Though the league had previously had a sprinkling of black players, just one year after Marshall entered the NFL, blacks were excluded from all its teams. While the rest of the league began signing individual blacks in 1946 and actually drafting blacks in 1949, Marshall held out until 1962 before signing a black player. That only came when Interior Secretary Stewart Udall issued an ultimatum--unless Marshall signed a black player, the government would revoke the Redskins' 30-year lease on the year-old D.C. Stadium (now RFK Stadium), which had been paid for by government money."

Interesting bit about George Preston Marshall from Shirley Povich:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/book/pages/16.htm

Bobby Mitchell and the rights to Leroy Jackson, Cleveland's second first round pick in 1962 (WR Gary Collins was the first), were traded to Washington for Heisman Trophy winner Ernie Davis after Davis, referring to Marshall, said "I won't play for that S.O.B."

Cleveland coach Paul Brown envisioned an all-star backfield of Jim Brown and Ernie Davis but Davis developed leukemia and died in May of 1963, having never played a down for the Browns.

Archived