Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Silly Pokes, speculate they can get Springs

bubba9497

What exactly is silly about that speculation? Springs has had a contentious relationship with the FO and carries a big cap number that could keep the team from making major moves in FA without restructuring.

he has? when?

the fact the Skins didn't restructure his contract kind of suggests how important Springs is to the defense

from the RTD Redskin notes section today

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/football.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-02-17-0211.html

Hope Springs eternal for veteran cornerback

Rogers' delayed return would seem to mean that Shawn Springs will be back with the Redskins in 2008.

Springs, an 11-year veteran, felt that last season probably would be his last in Washington. He has a big salary-cap number for 2008, $7.4 million, and he refused to take a pay cut last season when his cap number also was large, $7.3 million.

Often, that means a player is in the last year of his contract, no matter how many years are left on his deal.

But with Rogers unavailable until perhaps October, the Redskins can't afford to get rid of the man who has been their best all-around cornerback for the past four seasons.

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache said he very much wants Springs back.

It's not exactly far fetched to make the assumption that Springs may be a salary cap victim.

when everyone involved has said he won't, and the Skins will be low at CB until Rogers returns healthy?

using your logic, you can make assumptions LT, or Tom Brady... maybe Peyton Manning will be cap victims :laugh:

Cutting/trading Springs could net as much as $5M of cap space in 2008 and $6M in 2009. That could be used to get a younger player. I don't see why cutting him is not an option. A trade, of course, would be better, but Springs probably would need to agree to a pay cut to get traded.

Let's say that there's a decent corner when the Skins draft. Springs gets cut after June 1 and there's $5M to pick up some OL help. Aren't the Skins better off with a 21-yo corner and some line depth? Springs might even re-sign after he tests the market.

You're crazy if you think springs isn't better than Henry, I'll give you Newman but Henry?!?!? you're a nut job, of course he has less int's and tackles he's been injured half of his career, but that doesn't make henry a more talented corner. If she-nry was so good then the cowboys very obvious top weakness wouldn't be your secondary with Newman and Henry (Champ and Dre in your eyes) along with the most overrated safety in the league roy williams

I would take Springs over Henry any day.

he has? when?

the fact the Skins didn't restructure his contract kind of suggests how important Springs is to the defense.

It does...? So does that mean when Cooley DID restructure his contract that suggests how unimportant he is to the offense?

Springs refused to restructure because he's not dumb.

Only an idiot would believe that both the Skins and Giants offered Davis more money yet he chose Dallas.

Yea, you're right. Most players dont think like us fans. But some do. Take, for example, LaVar Arrington, who said there is no way he would play for Dallas. Or Troy Vincent, who basically said Dallas was interested in him but there was no way he'd go there.

BTW, remember where you are. You're in our house and show some damn respect or GTFO.

And where is Lavar at now? Not team wants him. One of the most overrated and overhyped players of all time. Cowboys didn't want Lavar anyway with his freelancing self. Demarcus Ware is FAR SUPERIOR.

And the Cowboys were not interested in Vincent. If they were, it was a cursory/lukewarm interst at best. And once again, where is Vincent?

springs will be a skin ... his agent and skins are meeting at the combine if they guarantee shawn two yrs salary he'll sign anything they want...and the way they do it u ask ? convert most of his base salaries in next two years to bonus - extend him to 2013 - to spread that out so he loses nothing he has now, and make the deal voidable after 3 years.

BTW his father is in a coma with zero % chance to survive... what advantage would Springs have to uproot his family to Dallas when his presence is not even known by his father, nor sadly is his father likely make it to the next season

Thank goodness Springs and most human beings don't think like clueless poke fans.... instead base decisions on facts, logic, and common sense

THAT'S YOUR THINKING! It isn't about advantage. It's about being close to his father. Maybe you have that kind of relationship with your father and can think that way, but how do you think you could speak for Springs on this matter?

It does...? So does that mean when Cooley DID restructure his contract that suggests how unimportant he is to the offense?

Springs refused to restructure because he's not dumb.

if you want to keep looking foolish go ahead and keep getting the FACTS wrong :rolleyes:

you do know the difference between a paycut and a restructure...oh wait I guess not

Spring was never asked to restructure.... not at all, there was rumors of him taking a paycut , that in reality was never requested...

and all that has nothing to do with the fact Spring is still under contract, and neither him or the team want to change that fact

keep spinning the truth, and proving that the stereotype of poke fans as being dumb... to be true

THAT'S YOUR THINKING! It isn't about advantage. It's about being close to his father. Maybe you have that kind of relationship with your father and can think that way, but how do you think you could speak for Springs on this matter?

like YOU Know his thinking :rolleyes:

I'm just using common sense in my reasoning, he's not staying in dallas during the off season, but he's going to force his way out a good contract, uproot his family, move from his hometown he grew up in... to take less money and a chance to go from a starter to #3... to be near his father (whom the Redskins helped him spend extra time with during the season) whose in a coma and sadly not expecting to survive much longer..... this isn't about caring for ones father it's about the most sensible way for him to do it

and lts keep the personal comments (insults) out of this debate.... but I can sympathize with Spring since I lost my father several years ago after he suffered through long illness

Archived