Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Simeon Rice - $20,000,000 Signing Bonus

SmootDawg21

I'll be interested to see the ACTUAL signing bonus versus the option bonus. This is PRECISELY the type of contract I've spoken about getting to Champ. Depending on how it's done you can give the $20 million and only have ONE massive cap year and planning for that year allows a great deal of wiggle room.

Warren Sapp is on the downside of his career and did little to help the Bucs to the Super Bowl win. He's in his last year of his contract and he's going to be jettisoned when it's completed. Talk about overated, Sapp was a monster out of college but the last three years have been mediocre at best. Boy, Rice got his money didn't he. I, like Art, want to see the ratio between signing bonus and option bonus. This may not be as big as it seems.

cskin,

you don't know what you are talking about. sapp is double teamed every play. every play. that is why the guys around him do so well. ask any offensive lineman if he is on his downside. just because he is vocal, people don't like him. funny how vocal people don't like vocal people. there is a word for that isn't there??

Originally posted by bulldog

so, where is all the talk around the NFL about the REDSKINS setting the market and escalating salaries willy-nilly this offseason? :laugh:

this deal makes Randy Thomas' deal look like that given to a waterboy :doh:

Yeah, that and that stupid Lions deal with CB 'Dre Bly.

He ISN'T worth no stinkin' 24 million. :rolleyes:

Shoot I think a 1 mil signing bonus is huge, but in the NFL world nowadays I don't really concern myself with the monopoly like money transactions in cap related player contracts.

Best thing to do is look at the product.

We have the Best team in the NFL, won a Championship in a convincing dominating playoff run.

Rice was a big part, and I'm glad he's staying a Buc for a long time. That is all that matters right now. What happens in a few years you deal with then.

I remeber when we signed Keyshawn a few years back the cap knowledgable fans (is there such a thing ;) ) all talked that we would be dismantled and a sub-500 team by now, but instead we won the SB and now are in position to repeat better than the last three winners.

Somehow McKay gets us under the cap. He gives big contracts then restructures them and gets the cap hit out by paying cash up front and further wittling down the hit. It's been 6 years in arow now he's done this. And then the coaching staff develops or finds depth that comes in as starters (Jackson, Quarles, Spires, Darby, Wims)

I bet the 2000 Ravens wish they handled the cap as good as Tampa is. They would probably still be contenders.

Archived