Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anybody else notice Helen Thomas was snubbed?

Kilmer17

From the 1st row back to the 3rd and didnt get a question.

Sends a message to the media that they are there to report the news, not become it. Maybe next time she wont call our President "The worst in American History".

Enjoy covering local mayorial races Helen, you deserve it.

And before someone tries to claim freedom of speech or press or something completely unrelated, please note that there is a difference between reporters and columnists. Columnists dont get to ask questions at pressers, reporters do.

Politics is my passion. I read appx 10 books a month on it. Both way right (Savage) and way left (Chomsky).

If you want to read some unbiased writing about media influences in politics, check out Mark Rozell. He's written books about Carter,Ford,Bush and Clinton. Fascinating stuff on the hierarchy within the press corps and the way info is filtered. HINT- It's not like CJ Craig to Danny on The West Wing.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Politics is my passion. I read appx 10 books a month on it. Both way right (Savage) and way left (Chomsky).

If you want to read some unbiased writing about media influences in politics, check out Mark Rozell. He's written books about Carter,Ford,Bush and Clinton. Fascinating stuff on the hierarchy within the press corps and the way info is filtered. HINT- It's not like CJ Craig to Danny on The West Wing.

Seriously Kilmer, I had been meaning to start a thread for both sides to list some people they thought might be unbiased...

thanks I appreciate the name, I will check some of it out.

BTW, Politics is not a passion of mine, so I'll give you much credit for being much more well informed than I am.:cheers:

That was the first time Helen Thomas had not been called on for a question since KENNEDY was in office! It was definately a message being sent.

To be fair, Thomas' questions to Ari Fleisher in the daily briefings have been maddeningly confrontational, snotty and bordering on disrespectful. I would have given her a "break" long before now.

Mary McGrory is in a similar vein. After Powell's speech, this arch liberal columnist published that she was "convinced" by Powell that Saddam must go and that he wasn't disarming. Then her "fan" mail arrived from her regular readers criticzing her. So last week, she changed her tune.

So, her poll numbers dropped, and she changed her position. If I'm her editor, she's on the street looking for a new job.

Sorry, but there is something to be said for tradition. I think that Bush should have been the bigger person. All he has done is call attention to her. It makes me wonder about the advice that he is getting.

Well if someone dissed me like she did Dubba Ya she might as well wait til skiing becomes the popular sport in Hades before she gets another question.

Traditons do and will change, otherwise the Citadel's and VMI's tradition of men only would still be intact.

Screw tradition, there's also a tradition of speaking to the Commander in Chief (no matter whom he/she is and how vehemently you disagree with their position) with respect. Ari Fleischer should have told that loud-mouth arrogant disrespectful b*tch to shut up a long time ago. They've been more than patient putting up with her self-serving crap.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Screw tradition, there's also a tradition of speaking to the Commander in Chief (no matter whom he/she is and how vehemently you disagree with their position) with respect. Ari Fleischer should have told that loud-mouth arrogant disrespectful b*tch to shut up a long time ago. They've been more than patient putting up with her self-serving crap.

Damn Hog, I was getting ready to say that almost verbatim. Good man! :)

I think that Bush comes off like a petulent child. He already carries the baggage of having name recognition only because he is the son of a president. It was a mistake. His father put up with Thomas in the name of tradition. He should have left it alone. Had he done so, nobody would be talking about her now. Nobody really cares about her views, but now we are all talking about her.

joe....we'll talk about her for the history of one thread....big effin deal....notice that no one is talking about her ideas or stature....she doesn't have any.....she's an ancient who brings nothing to the equation.....

also....there is a diminishing return to your thought....is bush supposed to recognize every reporter sitting at a news conference?

All I am saying is that he is using a sledghammer to swat a gnat. He should be above that. He is the president and he should act like it at all times. It is not presidential to ignore 40 years of tradition and act like your pouting because someone called you a bad name. It is petty and beneath both him and his office.

Originally posted by joe

All I am saying is that he is using a sledghammer to swat a gnat. He should be above that. He is the president and he should act like it at all times. It is not presidential to ignore 40 years of tradition and act like your pouting because someone called you a bad name. It is petty and beneath both him and his office.

I won't change your perception and you can be damn sure you won't change mine. But you've got it backwards...Thomas has been acting like a spoiled child...she doesn't like GWB or his policies, so she's been publicly stomping her feet and throwing a hissy fit in the grocery store. Every good parent knows the best way to deal with this is to ignore it. He doesn't OWE Helen Thomas a GD thing, it is she that owes him a modicum of respect. For God's sake, Bush was pummelled by tough, pressing questions and follow-ups. He stood up there and took the heat and gave his reasons in a calm rational manner. He chose not to (unlike Jaba the Hut Thomas) bite when afforded the opportunity to personally attack his questioners. When asked a leading question, he took the high road. According to your argument, Bush should have provided this b*tch with an opportunity to treat him disrespectfully and grandstand at one of the most crucial press conferences of his Presidency because its been a 'tradition'? Get a grip. Had she shown her @ss as she has been of late to any other President, she'd have gotten the exact same medicine (you think media savvy Clinton would have put up with her crap? I think not. He would've been too smart for that, and so is Bush).

Originally posted by joe

Sorry, but there is something to be said for tradition. I think that Bush should have been the bigger person. All he has done is call attention to her. It makes me wonder about the advice that he is getting.

Wait a minute here, She calls insults Bush by calling him "the worst President in US History" and he has to just put that aside for tradition. Well, F'ck tradition! I'm glad he snubbed her. She deserved it! Sometimes I think the media needs to be put in check as well. They have way to much power and don't represent "the people" like they claim to.

Archived