Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Need to Hire THIS Guy! Belichick's Secret Weapon (Best read of the year so far!)

Jino

This has got to be my favorite read of the year so far. For those of you who haven't read it yet, Belichick's book is a fantastic read also. Both men are from the great Phillips Andover School and took football knowledge to a new a higher level.

Can Snyder please hire this dude. He really is Belichick II and knows as much as Belichick himself, if not more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams

Quote:

Adams' contributions to the Patriots begin with film. Hours and hours of film, often in his darkened office. He has been doing this for years, first at Northwestern in the early 1970s, where he convinced coaches to let him go from student-manager to scout. "He was a prodigy," says Rick Venturi, an assistant on that Wildcats team.

By now, after years of evolution, Adams sees film differently. Not just as random actions, but a genealogy of the game of football. When a defender moves, he recalls watching or having read about the first time a defender moved like that, even if it was 50 years ago, and he knows why, which tells him how to counteract the move. He has a photographic memory. Perkins tells a story of Adams' memorizing the Giants' thick playbook. In one night.

So, every week, the Patriots get the kind of analysis that only high-powered hedge funds or, say, NASA can afford. "Nine times out of 10," Bissinger says, "Ernie sees something nobody else sees."

That memory and those hours of studying film make him an unparalleled resource for assistant coaches. Want to know what a team does, and why? Want to know what a team has done on third-and-short in the red zone in the past 10 years on the road? Ask Adams. He'll know.

Adams' reach doesn't stop there. The Patriots are famous for compartmentalizing: The scouts can't watch practice, the game planners don't know who they are going to draft, and so on. But Adams is into everything. During the draft, according to Michael Holley's "Patriot Reign," he's in charge of running through the team's value chart, figuring out who will best fit their needs. This is the perfect assignment for someone who spent several years in the late 1980s as an analyst and trader on Wall Street and, as an investor, is known for spotting profitable trends shockingly early.

Great read. I've heard mention of Adams before, but (like just about everyone else) didn't really know what his role was.

No doubt he's been a factor in helping build the Pats juggernaut ... and maybe sheds an interesting light on the conventional wisdom around Belichick's "genius" these days.

Couple quick thoughts:

- as with Belichick, the degree to which Adams has contributed to the Pats success has to be viewed in context of that success coinciding perfectly with the arrival of Tom Brady, the best QB of his generation and on a very short list in the conversation of all-time greats.

- no chance in the world this man will ever work for anyone BUT Bill Belichick again given the crazy success they've had. Plus they go back 30 years and share a trust and common frame of reference that cannot be simply cut-and-pasted into another situation, with other people. I suggest we don't waste our breath discussing the possibility of him coming to Washington, even if Snyder were to try.

- what we should probably take from this is a pretty neat human interest story, some new insight into the Pats' dynasty, and the idea that every time we fans think we've started to get a handle on something NFL-related, along comes something that not only makes us step back and say, "huh," but should also remind us that Jim Mora, Sr., was right: we think we know ... but we don't know.

Let's all be honest here. The only reason the pats are so good is becasue someone decided to give Tom Brady a shot. If Drew Bledsoe never got hurt, the pats would have been the same crapy team they usually were. Let bill belichick try and win a superbowl with another QB, I'm sure it would be completely different.

Wow! A great find and even better read. As a fellow x's and o's nutcase I was fascinated by it all. Love to see this guy write a book on his theories and philosophies. And having coached and played this game for at least 35 years of my life I can honestly say it's without a doubt the greatest game in the world. And I've coached and played Basketball, Soccer and Baseball as well.

When women ask what's so great about it I usually explain that it's war. Only nobody dies. It's about taking ground (field position), Scoring or stopping a score (battles), tactics, strategy, deception, etc. As someone who also has spent his life working in or for the Army I can honestly say that no game prepares it's citizens for war like Football. Which is why I believe our Soldiers perform far better than most other nations on a consistent basis. Even when the training and experience has been lacking (Germany had a huge head start in WWII).

Thanks for posting!

what we should probably take from this is a pretty neat human interest story, some new insight into the Pats' dynasty, and the idea that every time we fans think we've started to get a handle on something NFL-related, along comes something that not only makes us step back and say, "huh," but should also remind us that Jim Mora, Sr., was right: we think we know ... but we don't know.
So what your saying is that maybe everything doesn't have to do Brady? :silly:

The author made reference to two studies, one by Sacrowitz relative to the two-point conversion and the other a paper by a Berkeley professor.

Sackrowitz is an economist.

The Berkeley professor was economist David Romer and his paper probably was a factor in Belichick's agressiveness on fourth down calls in plus territory. Although Parcells had the same reputation.

Belichick majored in economics, so he not only read the papers but probably understood the math.

Jim Schwartz, majored in Economics at Georgetown and graduated with honors. You can bet your last dime, he's read those papers. If Sndyer and Cerrato put brainpower at the top of their list, Schwartz could be the guy.

The latest report says he signed an extension with the Titans, but that doesn't shut him out if the Skins want him -- that is, if my understanding is correct.

Are there other game-day duties? While it is commonly accepted that most teams try to steal signals, and New England was actually caught in the well-publicized Spygate incident, one former Patriots insider said a videotape of signals wouldn't help the other 31 teams nearly as much because they wouldn't have Ernie Adams there to quickly analyze and process the information.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:doh:

So what your saying is that maybe everything doesn't have to do Brady? :silly:

Troublemaker. :)

No, I was saying something different. But you're right of course--not "everything." I've agreed with you on that all along, as you well know. I think we even reduced it down to a percentage, once.

That was you, no? I thought only old guys like me forgot stuff. :cool:

You lost me there.

I've known too many people (personally) who have come out of there to ever put trust in another one. :doh:

LOL!

Yes, of course there are the usual a-holes and lazy people at any gifted private school. But you can't deny the fact that schools like Exeter and Andover have some SUPER-SMART people who achieve excellence.

LOL!

Yes, of course there are the usual a-holes and lazy people at any gifted private school. But you can't deny the fact that schools like Exeter and Andover have some SUPER-SMART people who achieve excellence.

With no intention of de-railing this thread, it is my experience that Andover has some SUPER-RICH people who achieve power. Some of them are my friends, and I wouldn't leave my wallet out with them in the vicinity. ;) But that's for the tailgate.

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Troublemaker. :)

No, I was saying something different. But you're right of course--not "everything." I've agreed with you on that all along, as you well know. I think we even reduced it down to a percentage, once.

That was you, no? I thought only old guys like me forgot stuff. :cool:

Oh yes, that was me alright. ;) Kind of ironic we came to that agreement just months before he broke just about every single-season quarterback record there is to break.

So not only does he have arguably the greatest QB in history, he's also got a bona fide 'genius' in this guy Adams (who I had never heard of until now) taking this thing to levels that many of us couldn't even comprehend. Non-linear mathematics? Really??

I don't know about you, but after this season, after watching what the Golden Boy could do with a deep threat, and after this article, Belichick's is starting to remind me of the wizard behind the curtain.

Archived