Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Need to Hire THIS Guy! Belichick's Secret Weapon (Best read of the year so far!)

Jino

This has got to be my favorite read of the year so far. For those of you who haven't read it yet, Belichick's book is a fantastic read also. Both men are from the great Phillips Andover School and took football knowledge to a new a higher level.

Can Snyder please hire this dude. He really is Belichick II and knows as much as Belichick himself, if not more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams

Quote:

Adams' contributions to the Patriots begin with film. Hours and hours of film, often in his darkened office. He has been doing this for years, first at Northwestern in the early 1970s, where he convinced coaches to let him go from student-manager to scout. "He was a prodigy," says Rick Venturi, an assistant on that Wildcats team.

By now, after years of evolution, Adams sees film differently. Not just as random actions, but a genealogy of the game of football. When a defender moves, he recalls watching or having read about the first time a defender moved like that, even if it was 50 years ago, and he knows why, which tells him how to counteract the move. He has a photographic memory. Perkins tells a story of Adams' memorizing the Giants' thick playbook. In one night.

So, every week, the Patriots get the kind of analysis that only high-powered hedge funds or, say, NASA can afford. "Nine times out of 10," Bissinger says, "Ernie sees something nobody else sees."

That memory and those hours of studying film make him an unparalleled resource for assistant coaches. Want to know what a team does, and why? Want to know what a team has done on third-and-short in the red zone in the past 10 years on the road? Ask Adams. He'll know.

Adams' reach doesn't stop there. The Patriots are famous for compartmentalizing: The scouts can't watch practice, the game planners don't know who they are going to draft, and so on. But Adams is into everything. During the draft, according to Michael Holley's "Patriot Reign," he's in charge of running through the team's value chart, figuring out who will best fit their needs. This is the perfect assignment for someone who spent several years in the late 1980s as an analyst and trader on Wall Street and, as an investor, is known for spotting profitable trends shockingly early.

is he the video man caught spying in the jets game. lol

The author made reference to two studies, one by Sacrowitz relative to the two-point conversion and the other a paper by a Berkeley professor.

Sackrowitz is an economist.

The Berkeley professor was economist David Romer and his paper probably was a factor in Belichick's agressiveness on fourth down calls in plus territory. Although Parcells had the same reputation.

Belichick majored in economics, so he not only read the papers but probably understood the math.

Jim Schwartz, majored in Economics at Georgetown and graduated with honors. You can bet your last dime, he's read those papers. If Sndyer and Cerrato put brainpower at the top of their list, Schwartz could be the guy.

The latest report says he signed an extension with the Titans, but that doesn't shut him out if the Skins want him -- that is, if my understanding is correct.

Man you're good!!!

Seems like Schwartz who was Adams' protege at Cleveland, used to be assigned research duties from Adams himself on probabilities and tendencies.

Check this fascinating excerpt out!!!

http://books.google.com/books?id=yV0tmz-5b3IC&pg=PA260&lpg=PA260&dq=ernie+adams+patriots&source=web&ots=4lPsxWa6cV&sig=j8CLJeHV2w1M7o4ci20CJwnmSGw#PPA260,M1

Man you're good!!!

Seems like Schwartz who was Adams' protege at Cleveland, used to be assigned research duties from Adams himself on probabilities and tendencies.

Check this fascinating excerpt out!!!

Good find! Thanks for posting that.

Was this guy in Cleveland with Belichick?

That should prove whether he is a genius or not.

False analogy. Cleveland was an eventual failure on several counts, not the least of it having to do with Modell. Refresh yourself with Adams' attributed comments about Modell in the main story.

This is a fascinating subject, to me at least. Brain power over sheer physical effort, not that the latter isn't vitally important.

No, as Om said, Adams is married to Belichick. No BB = No EA. The Schwartz angle is interesting too, although just because one studies at the foot of the master, doesn't mean he too becomes a master on his own.

Plenty of Holmgren coaching tree descendants have been successful in the NFL and I'm not sure that many of them attended Andover School. There's more than one way to beat the system as former Coach Gibbs can attest to.

Seems to me, the guy that just beat the NE Genius Twins (Spags) should also be closely considered.;)

This has got to be my favorite read of the year so far. For those of you who haven't read it yet, Belichick's book is a fantastic read also. Both men are from the great Phillips Andover School and took football knowledge to a new a higher level.

Can Snyder please hire this dude. He really is Belichick II and knows as much as Belichick himself, if not more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams

Quote:

Adams' contributions to the Patriots begin with film. Hours and hours of film, often in his darkened office. He has been doing this for years, first at Northwestern in the early 1970s, where he convinced coaches to let him go from student-manager to scout. "He was a prodigy," says Rick Venturi, an assistant on that Wildcats team.

By now, after years of evolution, Adams sees film differently. Not just as random actions, but a genealogy of the game of football. When a defender moves, he recalls watching or having read about the first time a defender moved like that, even if it was 50 years ago, and he knows why, which tells him how to counteract the move. He has a photographic memory. Perkins tells a story of Adams' memorizing the Giants' thick playbook. In one night.

So, every week, the Patriots get the kind of analysis that only high-powered hedge funds or, say, NASA can afford. "Nine times out of 10," Bissinger says, "Ernie sees something nobody else sees."

That memory and those hours of studying film make him an unparalleled resource for assistant coaches. Want to know what a team does, and why? Want to know what a team has done on third-and-short in the red zone in the past 10 years on the road? Ask Adams. He'll know.

Adams' reach doesn't stop there. The Patriots are famous for compartmentalizing: The scouts can't watch practice, the game planners don't know who they are going to draft, and so on. But Adams is into everything. During the draft, according to Michael Holley's "Patriot Reign," he's in charge of running through the team's value chart, figuring out who will best fit their needs. This is the perfect assignment for someone who spent several years in the late 1980s as an analyst and trader on Wall Street and, as an investor, is known for spotting profitable trends shockingly early.

We already have our secret weapon. Vinny. :laugh:

False analogy. Cleveland was an eventual failure on several counts, not the least of it having to do with Modell. Refresh yourself with Adams' attributed comments about Modell in the main story.

This is a fascinating subject, to me at least. Brain power over sheer physical effort, not that the latter isn't vitally important.

No, as Om said, Adams is married to Belichick. No BB = No EA. The Schwartz angle is interesting too, although just because one studies at the foot of the master, doesn't mean he too becomes a master on his own.

Plenty of Holmgren coaching tree descendants have been successful in the NFL and I'm not sure that many of them attended Andover School. There's more than one way to beat the system as former Coach Gibbs can attest to.

Seems to me, the guy that just beat the NE Genius Twins (Spags) should also be closely considered.;)

False analogy? I think it is a perfectly reasonable question that will help shed some light on the subject. Was he in Cleveland. Was he with Belichick in year one with the Patriots? Certainly if he was, we know that his "genius" has limitations.

Having read the article, there was very little substantive evidence of this man's genius. The two studies they point to (2 point converstion and going for it on 4th down), have been widely available and read by many. I believe it was linked on footballoutsiders some time ago. Even still, it doesn't amount to much. Did NE win because they consistently went for it on 4th down or because they have Tom Brady throwing to Randy Moss?

The thing I found most fascinating was the comment about, had the Patriots been cheating, a man like Adams, helps a lot because he can work with that information on the fly. I agree with that.

Bill Belichick is now considered a great coach because he made a gutsy call when few others coaches would. Something our own Coach Gibbs was incapable of doing in his second iteration. He gave the job to the backup. Granted, the Tom Brady seemed superb from day one, but lots of coaches would have had a hard time making that transitions. Belichick didn't. And he is reaping the rewards.

Archived