Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the Skins re-negotiate Trung Canidate's contract

Yomar

Just reading this week's USA Today Sports Weekly and they said that the Skins re-negotiated Canidate's contract with two year remaining, extending him to 4 years with a 1.5 mil. signing bonus. Its the first I heard of it, did I just miss it?

What happens to a player's original signing bonus when they are traded? Does that come with them or is it amortised under the trading team's cap? I am hoping he didn't come with any old "baggage".

Also does that NFLPA site just give salaries or do those figures include the prorated signing bonus for the year? I just looked up Chris Samuels out of interest and he is slated to get $5million next year. If that is just salary then we are really stuffed.

And I didn't dare check Arrington's contract!!

And the NFLPA web site shows base salaries only. No other bonuses of any kind.

I'm not shure I'd like the idea of extending Candidate's contract. Right now, we've got a guy who might be the starter, or might simply be part of a committee, and can be cut at any time with no cap hit. (In fact, instant cap relief of the remaining part of his salary).

The only way an extension works out to our advantage is:

• If it's cheaper against the cap for this year. (Very likely. But, do we need the room this year badly enough to take a dead money hit if he doesn't work out?) Or,
  • We're convinced he'll be playing for us more than two years down the road, and the new deal's cheaper than what he'll be worth two years from now. (Wishfull thinking).

If he's going to be what they are expecting him to be in this offense then they need to do it now. :fortune: Or two years from now, he's going to be wanting a fat payday, and we are back to square one. Re-up him now, so he's cheaper.:deal:

when a player is traded, none of his salary cap baggage (signing bonus or renogtiated deals) comes with him. The trading team had to deal with all the baggage. There is only one exception, and that is if an expansion team drafts a player during the expansion draft .... then the baggage goes to the expansion team. That's how the Texans were able to get some pretty good players from the Jets, Jags, and Panthers.

Anyway, since the trading team has to deal with the pro-rated bonus, just as if the player were cut, explains why so few teams are able to trade away their stars to contenders. Big ticket players are stuck with their current teams.

Archived