Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the FO has turned offseason drama into a fanbase in chaos (long)

Walking Deadman

Let me start by saying:

I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THE NEXT HC IS AND AT THIS POINT THERE IS NO NEED TO FREAKOUT ABOUT IT UNTIL WE KNOW OFFICIALLY.

That said, I'll admit, I have fell into the mass panic/hype/frustration at times like many of you. And what's really sad is that the effort and momentum of the 2007 season and much of Gibbs 2.0 has been sullied in just a matter of days (less than a month's time). What should be a time where the enthusiastic (albeit sometimes delusional) "We're winning the Superbowl next year" posts and who will we be taking at #21/FA ad nauseum arguments are gone.

We had some hope going into next season.

And now to many of you it's gone. People are threatening to jump ship, not buy tickets and see this franchise fall.

And I hate to say this but these ill feelings are due to the FO and they could have been prevented (hear me out). The Redskins could have hired even a coach like Fassel and gotten a much better reception had they done things differently.

So let's look at some of the mistakes I feel they made:

1. Timing:

Can't blame Coach for making his choice, but it was at a really bad time. Since nobody really knew about it (I'd argue Coach himself wasn't 100% sure until his final meeting with his family and then Snyder). Nobody was over the Seattle loss yet. Everybody was stunned. I'm not sure anybody (including the FO) was ready to not only get over a tragic, emotional season but then replace the man who guided us through the storm......harsh. Plus, it made it difficult for Snyder and the FO to have his "ducks lined in a row" ie. if Cowher or Pete Carrol or another coach was in his sights it made it hard to feel if there was any interest before trying to make them a candidate. Plus, thie season is rather slim pickings on HC candidates.

2. The Press Conference:

This one is HUGE in significance. Gibbs and Snyder in the PC and in other interviews stressed continuity. That's the word CONTINUITY. Not, "we've turned things around" or we've started a foundation now we need to build upon it". In press conferences you have to word things very carefully and even though GW or any in-house candidate were never mentioned as the leading candidate or even as a possible interview, that one word CONTINUITY told most of the fan base that the Skins we're staying in-house and with the stories (now debunked rumors) that GW was the heir apparent or he'd get a million bucks if he wasn't the next HC. Obviously, everybody thought it had to be GW

3. The PR machine:

I get that the Redskins want privacy and secrecy on this. It's a big move. Not only are we in need of a HC, but we're in need of a Coach to replace Gibbs once again. We need a Superman with a clipboard. And at this time there were at minimum three other teams looking for a HC and possibly others, so we don't want to show our hands. But with the no comment angle and the absolute secrecy by the Redskins, it allowed the media and their "sources" the opportunity to spout who is the "leading" candidate and who was getting the job. Notice how one day it was Williams, then Mora, now Fassel with rumors of Cowher, Grimm, Kiffen, Jimmy Johnson and others. In reality, we really don't know what's going on and who, if anybody will be taking the spots that they are rumored to take.

This is where the Snyder/Redskins owned media properties could have helped the situation. The Redskins became "unfiltered" in an effort to give the pessimistic fanbase the opportunity to get news and disspell rumors directly from the team. Had the Redskins used Redskins Radio (ala Riggo's show or Bram and Larry), George Michael (who Synder is friends), Comcast (Redskins Radio TV show) or any other Redskins-Friendly media source and commented on candidates or said something about the current situation, maybe the mania would be less.

Same can be said about the "Mystery Candidate" (later to be revealed as Fassel). Had the Redskins just said "Hey we're interviewing Mora Jr. and Jim Fassel" most of us would have probably thought: Ok, 2 former NFL HCs that have been somewhat successful- Good move, the Redskins are doing due dilligence in finding the right guy. Instead after Williams being inteviewed 4 times, the rumors spread of the "Mystery Candidate" (oooooooooooh, who could it be?) that was going to come in and take this locked up (again never confirmed) job away from GW. This happened over a weekend and with fans tracking Redskins One (why aren't the Redskins suprised by this or had a clue that we wouldn't be doing this?) it led to various rumors of Carrol, Grimm, Jimmy Johnson etc. Y'know the big name splashy pick that we all have come to expect during the Snyder era. Now it being Fassel, is just a dissapointment to many.

Plus, would there be as much backlash about a Fassel hire if GW wasn't getting support from almost every player that gets infront of a camera and many of the coaches/scouts. We've come to love alot of these guys on this team. Where in the past the Redskins didn't have guys who wanted to be Redskins and wanted to be here, we now have almost an entire team of players that actually seem to like being here and want to stay here (and willing to give a team discount to stay here- see all the guys restructinig contracts, see Betts and cooley's contracts). So by having the players support GW has gained alot of fan support. Had the team addressed the players and asked them to not comment until they had things sorted out, it might have made the next HC (assuming it's not Williams) transition easier.

Right now you're looking at the next HC getting the Donovan Mcnabb at the draft treatment by the fans. It's not fair, but football fans usually aren't fair.

To conclude, the Redskins made alot of PR mistakes IMO that has led to this huge backlash with the HC situation. This combined with the FO's moves in coaching choices and moves in the Snyder era have led fans to expect something big, splashy and controversial- when most of us just want ease and simplicity that will lead to wins.

Your correct in stating the process has not gone very well.

For a PR and Marketing guy Snyder lets his ego get in the way of communication.

But Hope and Enthusiasm still remain because of the core players/talent we have. No matter who the coach is.

People forget, no matter who the coach is, there will be change. Players, systems, etc.

Deadman...thanks for hightlighting an absolute nightmare 2 weeks. :D No really, good post and I appreciate your thought process.

Now, can you craft something that will fix it! :laugh:

Honestly,

The way I see it is that the Skins can't hire Fassel- even if he has the potential to be the next Bellichek here, I don't think he'll be accepted. Fassel would have to basically pull a John Gruden with this team and either have the Skins win the NFCE (hard) or take them at least to the NFCC.

Can you see the 2008 Skins led by Fassel at 5-7? Thought Gibbs got treated poorly or Norv or Spurrier.....imagine what would happen to Fassel?

I don't think he's their choice or he would have been announced as HC, but I think either Williams will be the guy.........

Or

We see a guy that has yet to be interviewed to get the job (Cowher, Grimm other guys that have been suggested).

I think Fassel is getting a bad rap. Does that mean I want him as our next HC, not really, but I think he's getting treated pretty harsh by us the fans.

But hey, we're not fair, that's why we're fans. ;)

I doubt that there was anything the Skins could do that would change much in how the media reacted to this whole thing. Fact is, no one heard much about Harbaugh or Smith before they were hired by their teams. No other team puts their opinion of candidates public before hiring them.

Really, it gets this way because Snyder has a reputation, whether he deserves it or not. The press will say what they will want to say. Every candidate seems to be anoited as the next head coach. As far as I can tell, Snyder seems to be going about things the right way, but the press happens anyways.

Jason

I dont understand what everyone is so bent out of shape about.

Snyder owns the team and it is his right and responsibility to look everywhere he thinks there could be an answer until he hears the right one.

Making hasty decisions based on limited knowledge is what has gotten Snyder in hot water in the past. I like and appreciate the fact that he is still interviewing and even uncovering new candidates. The fact that someone is the last person to get an interview certainly does not mean they are in fact the leading candidate. For all we know, Gregg Williams is still the leading candidate, he just certainly isnt the perfect candidate.

And to all you armchair GMs out there, you dont know jack about any of these guys and their ability to lead the Redskins. Sorry to bruise your ego but its true. Jim Fassel could be the coach that leads the Redskins back to the Super Bowl and Gregg Williams could be the coach that is fired after two 4-12 seasons at the helm...or vice versa. The fact is that the decision belongs to Dan Snyder and the Redskins front office so you should be encouraged that they are taking their time and weighing all their options.

I know I am.

Don't get me wrong.

I think the media has major blame on this.

They jumped the gun on Fassel and if anything fuled the fires of Redskins paranoia.

And they will never stop doing what they're doing.

I just think with the addition of triple X, the Comcast show and Redskins.com, the Skins could have done more to maybe quelled the fanbase.

Maybe so we could see less Fire Snyder, jumping ship comments. :)

Yep. This is a VERY bad way to start this offseason after the kind of season we had this year.

I know we have some strong people on our team, I just hope they can look past all of this and still be able to perform come training camp.

Look past what? The fact that the Redskins front office isnt sold on Gregg Williams as a head coach yet?

If the players want to blame someone for the state of flux the Redskins are in they need look no further than Joe Gibbs. Thats the truth.

I just think with the addition of triple X, the Comcast show and Redskins.com, the Skins could have done more to maybe quelled the fanbase.

Maybe so we could see less Fire Snyder, jumping ship comments. :)

Do you think any of the dissenters here actually trust anything that comes from the team propaganda?

There isn't a lot of trust here that Snyder and Cerrato know what they are doing.

Jason

Overreact to nothing often?

Talking to me or the fanbase?

I did get caught up in the hype a few days ago and had a nice debate with voicekiller over whether Cowher was the right guy for the job.

Right now, I'm not worried who it is.

I have no control on what Mr. Snyder does, I hope he will make the best choice.

But the fanbase did overreact yesterday about Fassel.

Take out all the media nonsense in which GW was assured the job, Mora was given the job, Fassel was as good as hired, etc... and what do you have? You ready for this? Snyder has spent 17 days interviewing candidates. That's it! The media jerking us around is the ONLY chaos, and they love it cause we're all awaiting the next report with bated breath... hook line and sinker.

Take out all the media nonsense in which GW was assured the job, Mora was given the job, Fassel was as good as hired, etc... and what do you have? You ready for this? Snyder has spent 17 days interviewing candidates. That's it! The media jerking us around is the ONLY chaos, and they love it cause we're all awaiting the next report with bated breath... hook line and sinker.

Bingo.

I am disappointed in the media and my fellow fans for the amount of speculation and rumor that is causing so much uproar.

The only report I will give any credence to at this point is the Redskins official announcement.

There is a reasonable chance we will get one of those before the draft I suppose.

Talking to me or the fanbase?

A little of both. To classify this as "Chaos" at this junction is pre-mature. We should let this run it's course. If anyone is turning this situation into a chaotic one, it's the fanbase as a whole. You haven't really heard much from the Org on this. People here and on the radio are running wild with speculation and assumptions.

Do you think any of the dissenters here actually trust anything that comes from the team propaganda?

There isn't a lot of trust here that Snyder and Cerrato know what they are doing.

Jason

True, but I do think it would have helped for at least some here......maybe I'm wrong. Won't be the first time I'm wrong :)

A little of both. To classify this as "Chaos" at this junction is pre-mature. We should let this run it's course. If anyone is turning this situation into a chaotic one, it's the fanbase as a whole. You haven't really heard much from the Org on this. People here and on the radio are running wild with speculation and assumptions.

Maybe I should change the title of the thread.

I was referring to the fan's reaction to the bogus Fassel announcement yesterday and how maybe the fanbase is in chaos not the actual franchise.

I feel the Skins PR could have done a better job stemming some of it.

As I said in my opening, there is no need to freakout.

I think I will change the title.........

Maybe I should change the title of the thread.

I was referring to the fan's reaction to the bogus Fassel announcement yesterday and how maybe the fanbase is in chaos not the actual franchise.

I feel the Skins PR could have done a better job stemming some of it.

As I said in my opening, there is no need to freakout.

I think I will change the title.........

I apologize if I mis-interpreted what you said.

I apologize if I mis-interpreted what you said.

No problem.

Glad to clarify my viewpoint :)

Bram is on Redskins Radio saying that the Redskins won't confirm or deny any of the inaccuracies and that pretty much was my point. The rumors run rampant (media) + the Skins don't get the message out that the report is bogus= fanbase freakout (which with Redskins fans is status quo)

Walkingdeadman wrote:

2. The Press Conference:

This one is HUGE in significance. Gibbs and Snyder in the PC and in other interviews stressed continuity. That's the word CONTINUITY. Not, "we've turned things around" or we've started a foundation now we need to build upon it". In press conferences you have to word things very carefully and even though GW or any in-house candidate were never mentioned as the leading candidate or even as a possible interview, that one word CONTINUITY told most of the fan base that the Skins we're staying in-house and with the stories (now debunked rumors) that GW was the heir apparent or he'd get a million bucks if he wasn't the next HC. Obviously, everybody thought it had to be GW

This is why alot of us feel shafted by Snyder. The impending hire will tell us how full of crap this was (or not I hope).

This is why we are all scratchin our heads and saying WTF

Thanks for a great read.

The funny thing is that while they claim that Snyder doesn't know enough about football or running an NFL team, people still aren't willing to allow him to take his time to make a better, more informed decision. And when he does, or it appears that he does, everyone is so quick to decide whether it is right or wrong, with no way of knowing how the upcoming offseason and season will go.

Archived