Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Hate The Ravens

mvisit1

Disclaimer: Search function didn't work...as usual...so sorry if this has already been done.

I grew up in Crofton, MD...pretty much equidistant between Baltimore and DC where Ravens and Redskins fans pretty much coexist peacefully. I won't even get into the fact that the Ravens didn't exist when I first moved there from Hawaii in the 3rd grade, because we all know how that goes.

Anyway, I never really caught much flack for being a Skins fan until I started at Towson University (don't worry, I already graduated, I'm just new to ES) in Ravens country.

Needless to say, I hate the Ravens and I'm glad they went 5-11 this season. Our Skins made the playoffs and I WILL wear jerseys ALL offseason and there's nothing a purple clad gayvens fan can tell me otherwise.

Please, join me with your stories of encounters with these bandwagon fans, and bashing of this crappy franchise. I hope they have a falling out with the city AGAIN and that their owner ups and moves them to another city in the middle of the night...that'll teach those Baltimorons.

I'd say it's ok because everyone that's a Skins fan living in MD knows my dilemma, if it was any other team I could understand this getting moved...They are our "in state" (technically not as far as DC is concerned, but FedEx IS IN Landover) rival, after all.

There are only 2 reason under which anyone should be allowed to be a Ravens fan:

1) You are old enough to be a Baltimore Colts fan, and therefore allowed to hate the Redskins

2) You are young enough to not remember a time when the Ravens didn't exist

Otherwise...BANDWAGON

I live Harford County, just north of Baltimore, and work in Baltimore, so I know all about the bandwagoners called Ravens fans. All I heard last year was "the deadskins were 5-11 and we're going to the Super Bowl." Then when they were one and done in the playoffs by choking to Indy, and I mentioned we at least won a road playoff game the year before, they tried to claim that getting a bye in the playoffs is a win. Sure, it may be close to equivalent since you didn't play in wildcard round, but you have to actually WIN to get the W. Reminds me of hearing Brian Billick try to spin his 1-2 record once by saying something like "As far as we're concerned, we're 1-0." Newsflash: the standings say you're 1-2 Dr. Spin. Anybody in Ravens territory, don't let them fool you as the best fans, we all know they're just as bad as Cowboy fans when it comes to showing colors.

I'd say it's ok because everyone that's a Skins fan living in MD knows my dilemma, if it was any other team I could understand this getting moved...They are our "in state" (technically not as far as DC is concerned, but FedEx IS IN Landover) rival, after all.

There are only 2 reason under which anyone should be allowed to be a Ravens fan:

1) You are old enough to be a Baltimore Colts fan, and therefore allowed to hate the Redskins

2) You are young enough to not remember a time when the Ravens didn't exist

Otherwise...BANDWAGON

Wouldn't all Ravens fans fit into one of those two categories? You are either old enough to remember the Colts or you aren't.

I'd like to add, plenty of people could consider you a bandwagon fan. You moved here in the 3rd grade. Which was ironically the time frame when the Redskins won SB 26.

You joined this site when the skins were in their streak towards the playoffs.

I don't consider the Ravens a rival at all. They are in a different conference. We only play them once every 4 years.

Who do you think people in Baltimore should cheer for? The Redskins? A team from a City the Citizens of Baltimore have no connection to whatsoever? Would you rather they root for Philly? Should they pay no attention to the NFL at all?

Despite what you and others may think, Baltimore is a good football town. I know more fairweather skins fans then Ravens fans.

If you want to classify Ravens fans as "Bandwagon", perhaps you should venture into the Stadium side of this site during a losing streak.

There are plenty of Skins fans who jump ship at the first sign of trouble.

Finally, if you went to Towson, the amount of Philly and Giants fans should be enough to make you sick.

I'm not a fan of the Ravens because they betrayed their true city, Cleveland. Cleveland fans are or were amongst the most supportive and loyal. Their owner disappeared in the middle of the night and just slapped that city. It was so bad the league had to intervene and promise them a make up-team. I think that act is really low and the people from Baltimore know this deep down, because it was done to them.

I'm not a fan of the Ravens because they betrayed their true city, Cleveland. Cleveland fans are or were amongst the most supportive and loyal. Their owner disappeared in the middle of the night and just slapped that city. It was so bad the league had to intervene and promise them a make up-team. I think that act is really low and the people from Baltimore know this deep down, because it was done to them.

The difference is that the Colts kept all the history, Cleveland kept the Browns name, history and colors after art model left, and got a team real shortly, unlike the ravens that waited 12 years.

The difference is that the Colts kept all the history, Cleveland kept the Browns name, history and colors after art model left, and got a team real shortly, unlike the ravens that waited 12 years.

Technically true. But when the Browns betrayed Cleveland they didn't know that would happen. And you can call a dungpile a rose, but it sure would smell differently.

Giving the team the stats and claiming that it is the same team is a lie. We may agree to believe in the lie, but it's a lie.

If Snyder took the 'skins to Los Angeles and six years later the NFL moved in an expansion franchise and called it the Redskins... would it be the same team? Eventually, we would probably root for it, but boy would we hate the LA team and the new Redskins would never "feel" the same.

Wouldn't all Ravens fans fit into one of those two categories? You are either old enough to remember the Colts or you aren't.

There was a 12 year window in which there was no team in Baltimore...12 years for new Redskins fans to be born!

I'd like to add, plenty of people could consider you a bandwagon fan. You moved here in the 3rd grade. Which was ironically the time frame when the Redskins won SB 26.

I moved here from Hawaii! Home of the Pro Bowl! My dad was an Art Monk fan and he was lucky enough to get transferred from Hickam AFB Honolulu, HI to Andrews AFB. Since Hawaii doesn't have an NFL team, we were excited when we moved here, the home of the Redskins! The Baltimore Colts were long gone and the Ravens didn't exist yet.

You joined this site when the skins were in their streak towards the playoffs.

I didn't know this site existed until I found it, when I found it, this is also my first forum ever...so sue me.

I don't consider the Ravens a rival at all. They are in a different conference. We only play them once every 4 years.

Sure they're not a "rival" in the standard NFL definition, but Baltimorons still trash them every chance they get.

Who do you think people in Baltimore should cheer for? The Redskins? A team from a City the Citizens of Baltimore have no connection to whatsoever? Would you rather they root for Philly? Should they pay no attention to the NFL at all?

Weren't the Redskins the closest home team for new football fans to cheer for during their 12 drought without a team?

Despite what you and others may think, Baltimore is a good football town. I know more fairweather skins fans then Ravens fans.

Who were the old Baltimore Colts fans/new football fans cheering for during their 12 year period without a team?

If you want to classify Ravens fans as "Bandwagon", perhaps you should venture into the Stadium side of this site during a losing streak.

There are plenty of Skins fans who jump ship at the first sign of trouble.

Sure, they'll trash the team, but will the truly "jump ship" and stop being Skins fans? I don't think so.

Finally, if you went to Towson, the amount of Philly and Giants fans should be enough to make you sick.

It did, but I didn't see nearly as many blue or green jerseys roaming around as I did purple ones.

Why would people in Baltimore cheer for the Redskins when Jack Kent Cooke did everything he could to prevent a team from moving to Baltimore?

As for what did DID the people in Baltimore cheer for prior to the Ravens arrival? I don't know. Who do the people in Montana cheer for?

My wife has a great uncle who had Season tickets to the Colts before they left. After that, he cheered for who ever was playing against the Colts.

Yeah, I grew up in Anne Arundel County too, and everyone there either identifies with DC or Baltimore from a young age, and it stays with them forever.

I was born in DC, my parents grew up in Anacostia, and our house was about 15 minutes from the old Capital Centre where we'd go to Caps and Bullets games. So I always thought of myself as a DC guy.

By the time I reached high school, the lines were drawn. The Ravens hadn't shown up yet, but when they did I immediately despised them.

I have a friend who is a Ravens fan...same age as me. He has told me that MANY of the Ravens fans of our generation (30 yr old range) rooted for the STEELERS while there was no team in Bmore. Some became Skins fans he says but many became STEELERS fans. Then when the Ravens came they jumped on board...and immediately gained hatred for their new divisional rival?!!?!?! WEIRD if u ask me...one minute waiving the terrible towel and the next minute quacking like a duck or ratbird or whatever it is they are. I asked why they became Steelers fans and was told that people consider Pittsburgh very similar to Baltimore in terms of a blue collar town.

Again this is one "Ravens" fan acount as it was told to me. TOO FUNNY.

I hate the Ravens and their fairweather fans. I havent seen a Ratbird flag/jersey/hat in sometime. I watch a lot of Skins games out in Maryland with a buddy and he says he cant find a Ravens fan for miles these days either.

I do hate the Ratbirds but dont consider them a rival cuz we rarely play them...i will be at M&T Bank stadium for the game this upcoming season though.

I have a friend who is a Ravens fan...same age as me. He has told me that MANY of the Ravens fans of our generation (30 yr old range) rooted for the STEELERS while there was no team in Bmore. Some became Skins fans he says but many became STEELERS fans. Then when the Ravens came they jumped on board...and immediately gained hatred for their new divisional rival?!!?!?! WEIRD if u ask me...one minute waiving the terrible towel and the next minute quacking like a duck or ratbird or whatever it is they are. I asked why they became Steelers fans and was told that people consider Pittsburgh very similar to Baltimore in terms of a blue collar town.

Again this is one "Ravens" fan acount as it was told to me. TOO FUNNY.

I hate the Ravens and their fairweather fans. I havent seen a Ratbird flag/jersey/hat in sometime. I watch a lot of Skins games out in Maryland with a buddy and he says he cant find a Ravens fan for miles these days either.

I do hate the Ratbirds but dont consider them a rival cuz we rarely play them...i will be at M&T Bank stadium for the game this upcoming season though.

Funny that some Ravens fans would admit they were Steelers fans, since they were the OLD Cleveland Browns and the Steelers are their main rivals.

I know this is a little bit different, but I've always considered myself a DC guy, born and raised in the area. I was 4 yrs old when the Washington Senators (Part II) left for Texass. I didn't start watching baseball until about 1979 when the O's played the Pirates in the WS. Since the O's were the only game in the region from 72-04, they were my team.

The Colts never bothered my as I knew diehard Baltimorians were Colts fans and anyone outside of Baltimore it was 50/50 for Skins/Colts. I have put 28 years in with the Orioles and I was actually a little upset that MLB was coming back to DC, because I didn't know where my allegiences would go being a DC guy. I know that was selfish for the people of DC, but I was actually hoping they wouldn't come.

I still root for the Orioles as my #1 team, even when they play the Nats. I like the Nats, but it's not the same as rooting for the O's. I've been called a Baltimore fan more times than you can't count, but I'm sorry, I grew up with the O's, Ripken, Palmer, McGregor, Murray, Flanagan. I just can't abandoned my O's no matter how vile Angelos is. As long as the Nats aren't playing the O's, I root for them. I bought a hat and I'm gonna get a couple of authentic jerseys.

So I can see where the Ravens fans are coming from jumping on their hometown team, and I can even see the Nats fans jumping on them as their hometown team. I have no problem with either, but I do have a problem when someone says I should dump the O's just because the Nats are in town. I'm a die-hard fan though and through with all my teams. Sorry, I'm not a Baltimorian, but and O's fan at heart.

Can anyone think of another situation where there were 2 cities so close and 1 had a team for a long time and then another team came in the region? Maybe SF Giants (came in 59) and then the A's moved in later in Oakland from KC? Maybe Bears fans in Indianapolis changed to Colts fans in 84.

Archived