Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schwartz, Grimm, Caldwell... then Williams (HC)

Reaganaut

Hmmm...I thought if the owner was hiring within the organization, the Rooney rule didn't count...but, who knows.

Also, I like Schwartz as d-coordinator and Grimm to replace Buges & company (after a year of co-existence for continuity sake.)

Imagine the Skins in two years with Williams as HC, Schwarts as d-coordinator and Grimm as o-coordinator.

Continuity and stability.

Awesome.

I hope it happens.

I would love to see this as well, but why would bright up and coming young coaches make lateral moves only to duke it out for HC when Williams is gone.

I think Saunders would want to stay, regardless, he has a system that supposedly needs 3 seasons to be successful. I can't see him bolting to start over on the Eve of that supposed third season.

Especially when he has stated he does not want to be a head coach.

AND he is the 2nd highest paid coordinator in all of football, second to only Gregg Williams

When did Saunders system change from needing 2 years to be successful to 3 years. Just wondering.:laugh:

Besides the points that he is making tons of money and is under contract, where did he say he did not want to be a head coach, other than a post here that someone had spoken with him?

Well, I have no link because it was on NFL Radio but they did interview Casey Rabach this week and he stated that Saunders had told them, he was happy with what he was doing now, overseeing the offense.

Said he had tried the HC thing and that at his age, was happy to be doing what he is now.

For what it's worth.... :2cents:

I'm glad the interviews are moving along. With JG advising the Danny, I feel a lot better that the ultimate decision will not drag on and will be sound.

How much is Gibbs really helping Snyder out. Don't you thing Gibbs is in GW's back pocket. How impartial can Gibbs be in this situation? All that being said, I would be happy with Grimm as long as they could retain Saunders.

So we better be hoping that the Colts go out early, so we can put a stop to all this nonsense.

That's sad, cause I was rooting for them to take out the Pats.

woah, woah, woah, we can learn some patience and let the Colts beat the Pats before we worry about interviews

there is no rush except in the minds of Redskin nation

I certainly hope you're wrong about the approach that Dan Snyder is taking in this search. I can't imagine that he is just going through the motions in such a cynical way, knowing that he is going to install Gregg Williams as the new HC when all is said and done.

First of all, we need to remember that if he hires the right person as the new HC, that man may be our HC for the next ten years. That should overshadow what happens next season.

Second, the idea that Dan Snyder would carefully select people to interview who would not overshadow Gregg Williams doesn't make sense to me. I believe that he is looking for the best available person to be the new HC. If he interviews someone who blows him away, then he needs to learn more about that person and follow-up on the initial interview and have further discussions with that candidate.

Third, I don't believe that Dan Snyder would pay lip service to the Rooney Rule. The Rooney Rule benefits the owners as much as it benefits the minority candidates. It ensures that the owners get to interview top-notch candidates whom they might otherwise overlook due to flaws in our society. Any honest person looking at the list of four candidates that you present might well rank Jim Caldwell as the #1 candidate on the list.

Interviewing Coach Caldwell or Coaches Schwartz, Grimm, Williams, Singletary, or whomever, could turn out to be one of the most fortunate things to ever happen to Dan Snyder and this franchise. Dan Snyder owes it to himself, all of the candidates, the NFL, and the fans to conduct a good faith search for his next HC. I believe he will do just that.

Exactly. I believe he isn't paying lip service or doing anything just for appearances as many here are accusing him of. It looks like he is looking behind every door before making a decision. - He's trying to make the right decision.

...and BTW, in 2004 he interviewed Rhodes and Denny Green.

Well, I have no link because it was on NFL Radio but they did interview Casey Rabach this week and he stated that Saunders had told them, he was happy with what he was doing now, overseeing the offense.

Said he had tried the HC thing and that at his age, was happy to be doing what he is now.

For what it's worth.... :2cents:

I didn't kow if it was officially out there yet that he was happy not pursuing a HC job. Cool if he stays on as OC because I really think they are on to something. Gregg is going to need someone to call the plays anyway and hopefully they will just stay out of each other's way (offense and defense)

One of the most reasonable theories I have read. :cheers:

Thanks Mike. The news is that Grimm was interviewed and Caldwell is on his way in because Indy lost. The interviewed Williams before Caldwell which is out of sequence in my theory, but they said that Williams would be the last interview and I took it at face value. Williams will be the next HC.

Hmmm...I thought if the owner was hiring within the organization, the Rooney rule didn't count...but, who knows.

Also, I like Schwartz as d-coordinator and Grimm to replace Buges & company (after a year of co-existence for continuity sake.)

Imagine the Skins in two years with Williams as HC, Schwarts as d-coordinator and Grimm as o-coordinator.

Continuity and stability.

Awesome.

I hope it happens.

I would be into that...All i ask is that if GW is hired Saunders isn't here next year, or ever again for that matter :nutkick:

Exactly. I believe he isn't paying lip service or doing anything just for appearances as many here are accusing him of. It looks like he is looking behind every door before making a decision. - He's trying to make the right decision.

...and BTW, in 2004 he interviewed Rhodes and Denny Green.

Rhodes will never be a head coach and everyone knows it. Green is washed up and there is absolutely no way he would have fit with the Redskins organization personality wise. Marvin Lewis was the obvious choice and they didn't bother to interview him. I read a couple articles from Michael Wilbon excoriating the Skins for ignoring Lewis (prior to Spurrier hire.) No, Snyder did not take the Rooney rule seriously when he hired Gibbs either. There were other black coordinators out there he didn't interview. He interviewed Jim Fassel for pete's sake and that wasn't for show?? No, this is a slam dunk deal just like all the hires Snyder has made from the beginning. Snyder said that he likes things the way they are. He's a guy that means what he says most of the time. Williams was the only choice and Snyder doesn't want all the second guessing about Cowher or Garrett or anyone else with a bigger name.

Why should Gregg Williams get this HC position so easy? What did he do with Buffalo when he was the head man? Nothing.

What did he have to work with in Buffalo when he was the head man? Nothing. Besides, he's been coaching under Gibbs for a few years now, and you'd have to be a fool to assume he's learned nothing from Gibbs.

What did he have to work with in Buffalo when he was the head man? Nothing. Besides, he's been coaching under Gibbs for a few years now, and you'd have to be a fool to assume he's learned nothing from Gibbs.

Add to that there was "house cleaning" with salary cap issues. Very problematic given Buffalo is a small market team that doesn't spend like Snyder does.

:2cents:

Interviewing Coach Caldwell or Coaches Schwartz, Grimm, Williams, Singletary, or whomever, could turn out to be one of the most fortunate things to ever happen to Dan Snyder and this franchise. Dan Snyder owes it to himself, all of the candidates, the NFL, and the fans to conduct a good faith search for his next HC. I believe he will do just that.

Absolutely.

It just wouldn't make sense to squander this opportunity based on some favoritism.

Add to that there was "house cleaning" with salary cap issues. Very problematic given Buffalo is a small market team that doesn't spend like Snyder does.

:2cents:

No one is even talking about the cap issues...the problems GW had in Buffalo was his attitude coaching mistakes and the way he mis-treated his players...you weren't there, so you have no idea

The more I think about it the more that I want a younger or newer coach. Someone that can put a new identity on this team, and that may mean cutting Saunders and Williams loose, but it can't be helped. Having Gibbs back helped bring some glory back, but its time to really do this right and start handling our financial and personnel issues responsibly. I like the idea of Schwartz, Grimm, Caldwell, or Meeks at the moment.

Archived