Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins Have Depth...Watch Out in 2008!

cakmoney61

In spite of our complaints (OK my complaints) about personnel decisions since Gibbs II, it appears the Skins have pretty good depth. The injuries came early and often, but somehow this team is 7-7!

With a good draft, improved play from JC, and somehow miraculously avoiding the injury bug (a lucky bounce or two wouldn't hurt either), I am convinced the Skins could be a very strong team next year. They have really shown both heart and talent in a very difficult year.

On the other hand, people have gotten a chance to play that wouldn't have without the injuries at OL, CB, QB, and the devastating death of ST. With all that has happened, with the exception of the NE game, no team has dominated the 2007 Redskins.

I never thought I would say this, but I now hope Gibbs will stay. His playcalling has been based on what he thinks gives the team the best chance of winning. I know no one wants to win more than Joe Gibbs. He will loosen the reigns with a better team and the 2008 Redskins will be a much better team!

While I'm excited about the prospects of 2008, the Skins might as well ruin homefield advantage throughout the playoffs for the Cowboys and make the playoffs themselves! :)

I completely agree with you. With the exception of the NE game we've had the possibility of winning every game this year. My only hope is that we retain who we can (since we're so far over cap as is) and don't try to get some big guy in FA so we can just let the team gel even more over the offseason. Then find us another gem like LL in the draft (which we're good at doing) and then just stay healthy throughout the year, especially on the line. We should trample the NFC East next year.

I completely agree with you. With the exception of the NE game we've had the possibility of winning every game this year. My only hope is that we retain who we can (since we're so far over cap as is) and don't try to get some big guy in FA so we can just let the team gel even more over the offseason. Then find us another gem like LL in the draft (which we're good at doing) and then just stay healthy throughout the year, especially on the line. We should trample the NFC East next year.

The FO simply has to stay away from trying to make major changes with other teams' castoffs. Just build on what the Skins already have.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Let's see, we lost Jansen, but Heyer is doing a good job. We lost Randy Thomas, and Fabini is doing an okay job, but not great. IMHO, we need to draft a guard to replace Fabini. The WR position definitely needs depth. We needed to sign players like Caldwell and McCardell because of our lack of depth in this position. I don't think Caldwell is that bad a player--we may need to give him a longterm contract as our #3 or #4 WR. Yes, we do need a tall receiver, as I'm not sure whether Anthony Mix is starter material. There are certain position which need more depth, DE being another one. We may need to draft a cornerback, and probably another safety in the mid-late rounds. I feel that we have a really great scouting team. They have found lots of diamonds in the rough--Anthony Montgomery, Golston, Doughty, HB Blades, etc.

The problem, however, is the fact that we're almost 20 million above the salary cap.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Let's see, we lost Jansen, but Heyer is doing a good job. We lost Randy Thomas, and Fabini is doing an okay job, but not great. IMHO, we need to draft a guard to replace Fabini. The WR position definitely needs depth. We needed to sign players like Caldwell and McCardell because of our lack of depth in this position. I don't think Caldwell is that bad a player--we may need to give him a longterm contract as our #3 or #4 WR. Yes, we do need a tall receiver, as I'm not sure whether Anthony Mix is starter material. There are certain position which need more depth, DE being another one. We may need to draft a cornerback, and probably another safety in the mid-late rounds. I feel that we have a really great scouting team. They have found lots of diamonds in the rough--Anthony Montgomery, Golston, Doughty, HB Blades, etc.

The problem, however, is the fact that we're almost 20 million above the salary cap.

In a sense, being $20M over the cap might not be such a bad thing. It prevents the team from doing too much overhauling. The Skins should cut the dead weight and develop the young talent. They need to use the draft to get a DE, OL, a big WR, a SS, a CB, and a QB. Afterwards use free agency to fill a gaping hole or two.

Seriously, man, awesome.

We're basically playing second string at five positions at any given point.

I said it weeks ago that with Taylor we could legitimately go all the way next year.

Maybe if Landry keeps it up, we can rock it to the NFC Championship.

Edit: Landry is Taylor's replacement and at this stage he's the same or only a notch below Taylor compared to Taylor's rookie season. So the Skins will be alright a FS. Now we have to find or develop Landry's replacement.

Archived