Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Renting a Car w/o Credit Card... Is it possible?

Fergasun

My wife has to travel by herself this weekend (short notice "emergency" travel). I've been able to secure her an airline ticket, but unsure about the hotel and rental car... but I think she'll be able to stay with friends.

The problem I'm having is with the rental car. She doesn't have a credit card, just an ATM card that can be used as a debit card (but it doesn't have Visa/Mastercard backing). I'm making her reservations now, but has anyone rented a car without a Credit Card? At Safeway they sell these pre-paid Visa Debit card's and I'm thinking those might work (they need activation with a SSN name and address). I'd gladly give her my credit card, but it doesn't have her name on it... (do they even check?).

This is really frustrating, so I'm going to be calling each of the rental car agencies personally to figure out how she can pay. I know some places take a $300 or $500 hold on the card, which would be fine... heck I'd even have her put that much down in cash if it could secure the car.

Anyway, it's Tuesday and she has to travel Saturday. She's adament about not getting ride's with friends since she has to leave for the airport from the funeral.

My wife has to travel by herself this weekend (short notice "emergency" travel). I've been able to secure her an airline ticket, but unsure about the hotel and rental car... but I think she'll be able to stay with friends.

The problem I'm having is with the rental car. She doesn't have a credit card, just an ATM card that can be used as a debit card (but it doesn't have Visa/Mastercard backing). I'm making her reservations now, but has anyone rented a car without a Credit Card? At Safeway they sell these pre-paid Visa Debit card's and I'm thinking those might work (they need activation with a SSN name and address). I'd gladly give her my credit card, but it doesn't have her name on it... (do they even check?).

This is really frustrating, so I'm going to be calling each of the rental car agencies personally to figure out how she can pay. I know some places take a $300 or $500 hold on the card, which would be fine... heck I'd even have her put that much down in cash if it could secure the car.

Anyway, it's Tuesday and she has to travel Saturday. She's adament about not getting ride's with friends since she has to leave for the airport from the funeral.

I don't think it matters if you pay with your credit card. Not 100% sure, but you can call the rental place and ask them.

I worked at a rental car place, and our policy was that you could pay with cash, but had to have a credit card to put down a security deposit. The person with the credit card had to be present. We didn't let people rent with debit cards. However, if it is that big of an emergancy, Penske rents trucks out and accepts debit cards. She could get a 12 ft. truck, which isn't much bigger than a van. Depends on how dire the situation is.

Errr, any particular reason she doesn't have a credit card? They're a necessary evil and she's going to have a tough time doing anything without a credit history.

He asked a simple question. Let's try to stay on track here.;)

Archived