Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some very good insight from Matt Williamson on Todd Collins vs. Jason Campbell

voicekiller

Jon (DC): TC15 = Best QB, ever. No seriously though, was Collins' display last night at least an indication that Saunders system does actually put points on the board, and that maybe Campbell just needs a little more time to get it under control?

sn2.gifMatt Williamson: (12:03 PM ET ) It was a small sample against a defense that did not prepare for Collins, but it was certainly a positive sign. Collins is known as a very smart QB who is always well prepared-that showed last night. Wash's pass pro deserves a lot of credit as well. Not to mention, the Bears were rather horrible for at least 80% of that game.

Aaron (DC): I need some expert insight. A lot of Redskins fans are saying that Todd Collins is a better QB than Jason Campbell. What is your opinion.

sn2.gifMatt Williamson: (12:04 PM ET ) No. Campbell is going to be a very good quarterback in this league. Right now, he is probably in the top 15 with an arrow going up. Collins is a backup. Plain and simple.

The chat is going on right now. check it out

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18393

thanks for posting this. i agree with williamson, but i will say this - nothing but complete respect for Collins. what he did last night is just extremely professional. He doesn't play for years at a time, yet doesnt lose sight of his job - to come in and perform on the spot in random situations.

I don't know what will happen from here on out for him, but just want to say i was very impressed by his professionalism last night.

tgijef

thanks for posting this. i agree with williamson, but i will say this - nothing but complete respect for Collins. what he did last night is just extremely professional. He doesn't play for years at a time, yet doesnt lose sight of his job - to come in and perform on the spot in random situations.

I don't know what will happen from here on out for him, but just want to say i was very impressed by his professionalism last night.

tgijef

I agree i actually like Todd Collins...he is a good back up and have nothing but respect for him, and i hope he does well for the rest of the season...but the starting QB job is jason's when he comes back

I dunno man, I've seen one too many drives this season that gets into the opposing team's territory and then stalls. Before Campbell got hurt, i saw 2 stalled drives....but this time suisiam missed the field goals so it was worse then our normal stalled drives. THen collins came in and those drives ended in touchdowns instead of FG attempts

not according to some who post around here. they're already trying to figure out ways to trade campbell :laugh:

I'd trade him in a second if the return was right. This is not to say that Collins is the future, but I don't think Campbell is either. I hope he proves me wrong.

I'd trade him in a second if the return was right. This is not to say that Collins is the future, but I don't think Campbell is either. I hope he proves me wrong.

What return would be right for a young 6'5" QB with a rocket arm and the propensity to be very coach-friendly?

Also, Akorn: how can you draw such conclusions from such a small sample size? Collins played well for two quarters. Against a defense that has/had no film on him. Behind a line that was kicked out-of-sleep after seeing/letting their starting QB get knocked out of the game and carted off the field. In a system that he has been involved in for nearly fives times the length of Campbell.

I just don't see how people can push JC to the back burner so quickly.

What return would be right for a young 6'5" QB with a rocket arm and the propensity to be very coach-friendly?

I can be coach-friendly. Does that make me a decent starter? A rocket arm and height do not necessarily make a good QB either.

Also, Akorn: how can you draw such conclusions from such a small sample size? Collins played well for two quarters. Against a defense that has/had no film on him. Behind a line that was kicked out-of-sleep after seeing/letting their starting QB get knocked out of the game and carted off the field. In a system that he has been involved in for nearly fives times the length of Campbell.

I just don't see how people can push JC to the back burner so quickly.

Because some people are just dumb

These are also the same people that one week love CP then the next want him traded...etc...they love to flip flop.

I can be coach-friendly. Does that make me a decent starter? A rocket arm and height do not necessarily make a good QB either.

Fair enough. However, to ignore the fact that he has talent, the intangibles, and a strong desire to learn/win, and heap his mistakes on him with the label "Bust!" after 19 games (as some here are doing) is a mistake in my opinion.

Fair enough. However, to ignore the fact that he has talent, the intangibles, and a strong desire to learn/win, and heap his mistakes on him with the label "Bust!" after 19 games (as some here are doing) is a mistake in my opinion.

For the record, I have never labeled him a 'bust'. From my own observations, (which started long before last night) I just don't think he is the best fit for this type of offense. He may flourish in a different system. I just don't think it'll happen under Saunders.

I agree that Jason has made some mistakes. But how can people also ignore an o-line that has given him no protection, WR that have dropped passes, other players who have fumbled the ball, a running game that has gone no where, a coaching staff that goes into conservative mode after Jason has led the team to a half time lead but the defense can't hold it and on and on. To put the team's losses on one person is crazy.

I agree that Jason has made some mistakes. But how can people also ignore an o-line that has given him no protection, WR that have dropped passes, other players who have fumbled the ball, a running game that has gone no where, a coaching staff that goes into conservative mode after Jason has led the team to a half time lead but the defense can't hold it and on and on. To put the team's losses on one person is crazy.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm...but in case it isnt:

Huh? In your estimation, the OL, the WR, the RB, other fumblers, the coaches, and the defense are all to blame for Campbell?

You left out the janitors that clean the lockerroom, the groundscrew for the horrible condition of the field, the person that washes his uniform with too much starch, and those damn opposing teams with their complicated defenses!

Change all those factors and we may have just found us a franchise QB!

For those who think the play calling wasn't different for Todd than Jason check out this quote from Saunders:

"I've been with Todd for a long time," Saunders said after the game in a quote that was cut from my game story. "And it's like anything else: When you have a lot confidence and know what they can do, you have a tendency to do things a little differently."

And as JLC said in his blog:

It was clear the approach was different with a fourth quarter lead with Collins behind center. The Redskins were more aggressive and played to win, rather than trying to milk a lead not to lose. To me, they should have been giving Jason the same chances - rather than sticking with an inept running game against Buffalo and blowing it, again - but Saunders and Collins have been together a long time, and Gibbs - who is clearly more comfortable with older QBs - was gushing about him after the game.

For those who think the play calling wasn't different for Todd than Jason check out this quote from Saunders:

"I've been with Todd for a long time," Saunders said after the game in a quote that was cut from my game story. "And it's like anything else: When you have a lot confidence and know what they can do, you have a tendency to do things a little differently."

And it doesn't bother you that the coaches have more confidence in the backup than they do in the supposed franchise QB? Especially when they spend 100+ hours a week watching them both in practice and on tape?

It certainly bothers me.

No my post wasn't sarcasm. But your's certainly sounded like it. I watched Jason play for four years at Auburn and he is a solid quarterback and much better than he could show with a weak and injured o-line and all the other problems this team has had this year. I guess you expect him to provide his own pass protection, catch his own passes, recover the running backs fumbles. Maybe he should haved played DB too in the Dallas game since TO's four touchdowns were somehow his fault. And the long pass caught at the end of the Bills' game, was that Jason's fault also. You are forming an opinion based on one year of play with a hit and miss supporting team. When you've watched him play for 7 years like I have, come back and we'll talk again.

Archived