Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some very good insight from Matt Williamson on Todd Collins vs. Jason Campbell

voicekiller

For those who think the play calling wasn't different for Todd than Jason check out this quote from Saunders:

"I've been with Todd for a long time," Saunders said after the game in a quote that was cut from my game story. "And it's like anything else: When you have a lot confidence and know what they can do, you have a tendency to do things a little differently."

And as JLC said in his blog:

It was clear the approach was different with a fourth quarter lead with Collins behind center. The Redskins were more aggressive and played to win, rather than trying to milk a lead not to lose. To me, they should have been giving Jason the same chances - rather than sticking with an inept running game against Buffalo and blowing it, again - but Saunders and Collins have been together a long time, and Gibbs - who is clearly more comfortable with older QBs - was gushing about him after the game.

When I read the quote I recognized the fact that Al has faith in TC. He does not trust JC to run his offense.

No my post wasn't sarcasm. But your's certainly sounded like it. I watched Jason play for four years at Auburn and he is a solid quarterback and much better than he could show with a weak and injured o-line and all the other problems this team has had this year. I guess you expect him to provide his own pass protection, catch his own passes, recover the running backs fumbles. Maybe he should haved played DB too in the Dallas game since TO's four touchdowns were somehow his fault. And the long pass caught at the end of the Bills' game, was that Jason's fault also. You are forming an opinion based on one year of play with a hit and miss supporting team. When you've watched him play for 7 years like I have, come back and we'll talk again.

Well, you are blaming the entire team.

Its a lot easier to replace one man than it is to replace everyone else.

And it doesn't bother you that the coaches have more confidence in the backup than they do in the supposed franchise QB? Especially when they spend 100+ hours a week watching them both in practice and on tape?

It certainly bothers me.

That is on the coaches not Jason...if those 60 year old men cannot coach Jason enough to get confidence in him it is there problem...they are the coaches...it bothers me that these so called masters of coaching are using some sort of bias against the plays they call for jason...it is on them not Jason...he has shown the tools in the no huddle that he can do it. But as we have seen from the dallas game to the Bills game these coaches, Saunders in paticular is a poor coach and i hope he is gone...he calls a great game in Dallas up until the end but then calls an awful second half against Buffalo...calling plays to not lose instead of to win...that is all on him. And I guess i was not the only one to see it since JLC said the same thing

I can be coach-friendly. Does that make me a decent starter? A rocket arm and height do not necessarily make a good QB either.

And Collins would be starting if he had Campbell's potential. He does not, he is a great back-up to Campbell, and thank God because the other b/u is Brunell.

For the record, I have never labeled him a 'bust'. From my own observations, (which started long before last night) I just don't think he is the best fit for this type of offense. He may flourish in a different system. I just don't think it'll happen under Saunders.

You digging a trench or a ditch? Give us your expert reasoning that Campbell is not a good fit for Saunder's offense. Do that and I will take the shovel over.

It is your opinion but that has no merit. Saunder's would not have come to Washington if he thought Campbell could not run his offense. He knew Jason was here and that is what he had to work with. He brought in Collins because Collins is probably on his way to being a very good coach.

BTW his offense is known to be huge right? Why? So he can tailor it around the weapons he has at the time. KC did not use the whole offense either. Trent Green was a mature QB in that offense as is Collins. Campbell has the demeanor, the coachability and the arm to run it better than Green, just a be patient.

That is on the coaches not Jason...if those 60 year old men cannot coach Jason enough to get confidence in him it is there problem...they are the coaches...it bothers me that these so called masters of coaching are using some sort of bias against the plays they call for jason...it is on them not Jason..

Right. It's the coaches. They suck. Got it.

You digging a trench or a ditch? Give us your expert reasoning that Campbell is not a good fit for Saunder's offense. Do that and I will take the shovel over.

It is your opinion but that has no merit. Saunder's would not have come to Washington if he thought Campbell could not run his offense. He knew Jason was here and that is what he had to work with. He brought in Collins because Collins is probably on his way to being a very good coach.

There are tons of posts explaining my position on this situation. I am no more an expert on this than you are. Who knows who's trench is deeper?

Right. It's the coaches. They suck. Got it.

You seem to be wanting me to agree with your opinion and i don't, Saunders is the one who calls the plays and it has been Saunders who has called plays to not lose rather than to win up until last night...are you so blind by the fact that you must be right to not see this?

You seem to be wanting me to agree with your opinion and i don't, Saunders is the one who calls the plays and it has been Saunders who has called plays to not lose rather than to win up until last night...are you so blind by the fact that you must be right to not see this?

You and I just disagree on what the 'facts' are. As I wrote several times, neither one of us knows how this will play out. No one does. However, for the good of the franchise, I hope I'm wrong and Campbell turns out to be the Redskins franchise QB. Time will tell.

You and I just disagree on what the 'facts' are. As I wrote several times, neither one of us knows how this will play out. No one does. However, for the good of the franchise, I hope I'm wrong and Campbell turns out to be the Redskins franchise QB. Time will tell.

Well lets just agree to disagree and go back to our initial focus...Redskins winning football games

how many years did Collins go without a TD in KC while he was there?

oh yeah..that doesnt matter now that hes thrown for 2 in DC right? come on people, it was one game. we will see how he does against a crazy pass rush like the Gnats have. If he steps up and wins out this season THEN start talking about QB controversy. right now, he is a backup who stepped in and did what he was supposed to do.

People just need to lay off JC. He is the future of this team. He will be a very solid NFL QB. When all said and done he will be better than Eli. Mark it down. Give the man time. I think the win now crap that this team has been trying for years has got into too many heads. Your acting that same way. THis is not a win now situation. We are building for a brighter future.

People just need to lay off JC. He is the future of this team. He will be a very solid NFL QB. When all said and done he will be better than Eli. Mark it down. Give the man time. I think the win now crap that this team has been trying for years has got into too many heads. Your acting that same way. THis is not a win now situation. We are building for a brighter future.

Sorry, a team with almost all starters on both lines over 30 is not looking at a brighter future. They are looking to win NOW. It's time to start doing so...no matter who's behind center.

Jason Campbell is slow. He cannot find open receivers as easily as the really good QB's. He has to have a LOT of time to find receivers. This is why he is sacked so much. This is why he runs out of the pocket so much. This is why he fumbles so much. And This is precisely why he was injured. He was looking and hesitating...looking and hesitating on that play he was injured.

Jason is not decisive. Collins is. Todd makes his decisions very quickly, while Jason is still busy LOOKING and trying to decide which person to throw to.

I disagree with his opinion and you can disagree with mine but I let the playing do the talking.

Jason Campbell is slow. He cannot find open receivers as easily as the really good QB's. He has to have a LOT of time to find receivers. This is why he is sacked so much. This is why he runs out of the pocket so much. This is why he fumbles so much. And This is precisely why he was injured. He was looking and hesitating...looking and hesitating on that play he was injured.

Jason is not decisive. Collins is. Todd makes his decisions very quickly, while Jason is still busy LOOKING and trying to decide which person to throw to.

I disagree with his opinion and you can disagree with mine but I let the playing do the talking.

I agree with all of this. The saddest part is that you now need to change your screenname :)

if you want to compare the two then look at there numbers in obvious passing downs meanin 3rd & 5 or better

Those numbers are the same except for the last drive when the redskins went against anything they have done since gibbs came back and kept attacking instead of playing it safe..

TC did well and if he can be as good as JC has been in third and longs then we can win with his knowledge of the system

But to keep everything in perspective as far as last night..

TC benefited from three things campbell didnt have alot of easptciallt in recent games..

One being a short field on the first td with the ball being at the 20

and

two being a 54 yard run on a pass that was caught behind the line of scrimmage

Three being the luxury of unpredictability in the 4th qtr

Archived