Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is Why I Can't "Let Go" of Joe Gibbs...I Just Can't

kleese

First of all, apologies for starting another thread. But I came across this video from TorresA and it really brought back some memories.

I'll just say this....even though the overall record is disappointing, I do believe Gibbs has this organization pointed back in the right direction. I believe there is a sense of stability and a sense of heart and character we had lacked.

And, I will also say this: Despite the record, I have more "fond" memories of Redskins football in these 4 seasons than I did under any other of our coaches since Gibbs I.

Just not willing to turn my back on Joe yet.......Perhaps that only means I'll go down on the ship with him...if that's the case, then I'd rather be with him as our coach than anyone else......

I saw this and thought it was important that everyone watch it again. And again. Notice the two plays featuring Taylor near the end. Best memories I've had a Skins fan since Gibbs I-- and who brought us Taylor and helped guide his career? Well.......

http://redskins.torresa.com/videos/thefix.html

First of all, apologies for starting another thread. But I came across this video from TorresA and it really brought back some memories.

I'll just say this....even though the overall record is disappointing, I do believe Gibbs has this organization pointed back in the right direction. I believe there is a sense of stability and a sense of heart and character we had lacked.

And, I will also say this: Despite the record, I have more "fond" memories of Redskins football in these 4 seasons than I did under any other of our coaches since Gibbs I.

Just not willing to turn my back on Joe yet.......Perhaps that only means I'll go down on the ship with him...if that's the case, then I'd rather be with him as our coach than anyone else......

I saw this and thought it was important that everyone watch it again. And again. Notice the two plays featuring Taylor near the end. Best memories I've had a Skins fan since Gibbs I-- and who brought us Taylor and helped guide his career? Well.......

Kleese, don't let emotion get in the way of reality. We all love Joe, but evertime I see a thread like this, it reminds me how some of us like to bury our heads in the sand. Joe Gibbs is an outstanding human being with a great heart. He is not, however, an effective football coach anymore. If that timeout fiasco on Sunday didn't prove it, I don't know what will.

He's way too conservative, and he doesn't show enough faith in his players. He coaches like he always expects the other shoe to drop, and consequently, it does. This team is STILL its own worst enemy, and that smacks of ineffective coaching.

So, I'd rather not go down with the ship. I'd rather see Gibbs win his final game, retire gracefully, and go off into the sunset. This team needs new, young, invigorating blood on the sidelines.

Gregg Williams?

I will always love Joe Gibbs, but I want him to go now, mostly because I don't want to see his stellar record tarnished any longer. The sooner he goes the faster we can get back to remembering and honoring the real Joe Gibbs, not the old and senile Joe Gibbs.

Those two broke me up all over all over again...

You don't want to for the same reason no true fans wants to. Because of the glory days. But you have to look past the past and look at the present. His time as a coached has passed him by. He still is a great man. But he's not a great coach anymore. Please stop looking through your Gibbs colored glasses and realize he has to go. It took me a long time because like you I kept fighting it. But that's the only way we are going to win again.

Kleese, don't let emotion get in the way of reality. We all love Joe, but evertime I see a thread like this, it reminds me how some of us like to bury our heads in the sand. Joe Gibbs is an outstanding human being with a great heart. He is not, however, an effective football coach anymore. If that timeout fiasco on Sunday didn't prove it, I don't know what will.

He's way too conservative, and he doesn't show enough faith in his players. He coaches like he always expects the other shoe to drop, and consequently, it does. This team is STILL its own worst enemy, and that smacks of ineffective coaching.

So, I'd rather not go down with the ship. I'd rather see Gibbs win his final game, retire gracefully, and go off into the sunset. This team needs new, young, invigorating blood on the sidelines.

Fair assesment.

I actually pretty much agree-- that's why I am hoping against hope we can somehow get hot and prove us all wrong over these next 4 games.

I've seen several of your post and from the ones I recall I totally agree with you on everything....you say you are going down with the ship, you know what if we are the only two on there I'll be there with you...

No matter what ....I believe...I won't turn my back on Joe....EVER!!!!!

Thanks for putting it the way I couldn't.:cheers: Except I'm on this ship for better or worse, and since I don't call the shots I go where it goes.

Just for the record, I am not calling anyone out in this thread (I did in the other, and stand by it). If you think it's time for Joe to go, you are probably correct-- the evidence is getting overwhelming. But I REALLY want us to finish strong this year, and I want Joe to come back to fulfill his 5th year..and then maybe.....

Just for the record, I am not calling anyone out in this thread (I did in the other, and stand by it). If you think it's time for Joe to go, you are probably correct-- the evidence is getting overwhelming. But I REALLY want us to finish strong this year, and I want Joe to come back to fulfill his 5th year..and then maybe.....

Please no. I do NOT want him to come back for another year.

Thanks for putting it the way I couldn't.:cheers: Except I'm on this ship for better or worse, and since I don't call the shots I go where it goes.

Very well put, especially considering what the mood was like on this board when Joe came back.

I've seen several of your post and from the ones I recall I totally agree with you on everything....you say you are going down with the ship, you know what if we are the only two on there I'll be there with you...

No matter what ....I believe...I won't turn my back on Joe....EVER!!!!!

First.....recognizing that he can no longer coach is not "turning your back on him."

When your 80 year old grandfater tries to drive a car, and you and your parents think better of it and take away the keys....you aren't "turning your back on your grandfather." Instead, you are protecting him.

If you love Joe Gibbs....you want him to go now. Before he does anymore harm to his prior reputation.

Do you really want to see another double timeout called? How about another season of our 2 minute offense? Is that really what you want?

Of course it isn't. And neither does anybody else.

At what point do you cut the man love.....and see reality? 1 more season? 5 more seasons? Should we extend his contract, so he can tell our players "we aren't good enough to blow anyone out."

Do you really want that crap from your head coach?

Fair assesment.

I actually pretty much agree-- that's why I am hoping against hope we can somehow get hot and prove us all wrong over these next 4 games.

Do you honestly think these next 4 games will be a drastic change from his sizeable body of Gibbs-II work?

First.....recognizing that he can no longer coach is not "turning your back on him."

When your 80 year old grandfater tries to drive a car, and you and your parents think better of it and take away the keys....you aren't "turning your back on your grandfather." Instead, you are protecting him.

If you love Joe Gibbs....you want him to go now. Before he does anymore harm to his prior reputation.

Do you really want to see another double timeout called? How about another season of our 2 minute offense? Is that really what you want?

Of course it isn't. And neither does anybody else.

At what point do you cut the man love.....and see reality? 1 more season? 5 more seasons? Should we extend his contract, so he can tell our players "we aren't good enough to blow anyone out."

Do you really want that crap from your head coach?

Exactly--it's sad and embarrasing, and for his own good, I want him to retire.

My only question to the doubters is. Who should replace him? I don't see anyone out there right now that I'd rather have as head coach. I'm willing to see how he finishes his contract out before I jump ship. I'll go down with Gibbs. He's family just like every other Redskin. Families stick together through thick and thin. Gibbs has coached very poorly, at least in game situations, all year long. I think the team preparation has been there as the execution in the first half of almost every game this year has shown. Its our adjustments at halftime and poor decision making at the end of games that has really cost us this season and last.

Archived