Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"WR Andre Johnson, Miami: Mugged by the Washington Redskins at combine...

Nighthawk

Actually, that's not true. We tried to move up multiple times. We explored moving up for Harrington (although obviously dont believe the jansen rumor), definitely tried to move up to snag Dante Stallworth, and also thought about moving up for one of the last DTs, before finally moving back to take Ramsey at the end of the round.

Hah Tarhog. I was never in favor of moving up to get Harrington, just pointing out that The FO was entertaining such thoughts. I think the most serious attempt to move up was made when Stallworth stuck around for a little while. I think we had a great draft last year, personally. We picked up a couple of 3rd rounders we didnt have going into the draft.

We wound up with a starting QB, a starting RB, a starting FB (ok, he's splitting time with Johnson, but eventually he'll be in there full time), a money nickelback, a TE who looked great before he got hurt, a WR speed burner who would have been exactly what we needed if he hadnt gotten hurt, a safety prospect in Lott who is still up in the air but seems mediocre at best, a project DE in Scott who we won't know about until later, and a couple of players no longer on the roster. Considering we were picking at #18 and didnt have a 3rd rounder coming into the draft, I'd say that we had a pretty good haul.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

This may not have happened during the draft (YET!!) but it is without a doubt Snyder's style. Remember the Bruce Smith, Peon, Carrier pickups in the offseason ? Snyder has a history of wanting to make big splashy pickups be it in the draft or F.A. I don't think anybody would dispute that.

I don't have a problem with him going with a splashy signing. Just make d@mn sure the player produces. So far, Snyder's track record isn't so good in that dept.

Picking up Ramsey last year should be enough to prove you wrong. Yes, Snyder looked to move up but when it became apparent that it would be to costly he made some brilliant moves downward and grabed what looks to be our long needed franchise QB at a bargan.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you guys were doing the same thing I was all the while... cursing him,questioning his moves and expecting disaster. Only it turns out that he is learning the ropes quite well and he prob. made the best move of any team in the draft. :laugh:

I don't see how you can point to moves made three years ago, in his first offseason of ownership (and which helped the team go from 30th in D to 4th, BTW), and say they constitute a pattern of irresponsible behavior.

If you do, well, then you're just wrong.:D

I guess I don't get hot and bothered about these press rumors, because they are just that. Snyder has not demonstrated to me that he is reckless when making moves. I think he gets consensus before he does anything.

Tarhog, I wasn't trying to jump down your throat. I know you're a pretty reasonable fellow (and a fellow Wahoo :thumbsup: ), which made it so surprising that you would make such a superficial statement.

:cheers:

Die Hard,

Hmm. Lets see if I get your drift. With the 37 year-old Bruce Smith our overall defense was #4; with the 38 year-old Smith our defense was #10; with the 39 year-old Smith our defense was #5 and now with the 40 year-old Smith AFTER HE RECEIVES HIS SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK our defense will be top notch. And thats without Wilkinson and probably Gardener. Yeah I think I get your drift. I'm glad you aint leading my platoon into Iraq though. :laugh:

Hey, I didn't say we should get rid of Wilkinson, Gardener and Smith. But thats what I keep reading in the media is likely to happen. So if that happens, then we better use both our #1 and #2 picks on DL. :doh:

The reason I'm not for trading UP to grab Andre Johnson is we cannot afford to give up 3 high draft picks or more, because we are not ONE PLAYER away from contending for anything.

The last time we did this -- moving up for a WR -- was when we traded UP to get Desmond Howard and gave up both our #1 picks. Remember how that trade worked out? Not only did we lose both #1's, but Howard bombed on top of that. If we had remained where we were at in the first round, we could have drafted All-Pro CB Troy Vincent and All-Pro FS Darryl Williams. And both of those positions were needs at the time. :doh: It was after this trade bombed that the Redskins started into our 90's tailspin, especially when we kept bombing in the 1st and 2nd rounds with such brilliant picks as Heath Shuler, Reggie Brooks, Bobby Wilson and another Andre Johnson from Penn State.

Andre Johnson from Penn State??? ---- I knew it --- look what happened with the other Andre Johnson! -- now I know we can't draft WR Andre Johnson, because its a bad omen. :laugh:

And by the way, Blade told me that as soon as they repair their jackhammer, they will move Mad Mike to the front of the line for his lobotomy. :laugh:

And by the way, Blade told me that as soon as they repair their jackhammer, they will move Mad Mike to the front of the line for his lobotomy.

Yeah? I got your lobotomy fudgepacker. :jerkoff:

And I'm gonna be laughing my @ss off next year when I'm proven to be right yet again.

:pint:

The front office may have talked to other teams about trading up, but they didn't come close to offering what it would actually take to move up so in my mind they weren't really that serious about it.

They should pretty much always be talking to other teams about moving up or down on draft day, but that doesn't mean doing it unless someone gives them what they consider a good deal.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

Tarhog, I wasn't trying to jump down your throat. I know you're a pretty reasonable fellow (and a fellow Wahoo :thumbsup: ), which made it so surprising that you would make such a superficial statement.:cheers:

hey, must not have eaten my wheaties this a.m. :silly:

Its fun to discuss the draft, but history has shown that, at least to a certain degree, predicting the draft is mostly educated guesswork. With the exception of those few guys who just have a gift for separating the real talent from the over-hyped, we just have to hold our breath and wait. I'm excited and hopeful for the next couple of years.

But then again, I think UVA will make the sweet sixteen so my judgement is for squat...:shootinth

Yusuf, you wrote....

"This may not have happened during the draft (YET!!) but it is without a doubt Snyder's style. Remember the Bruce Smith, Peon, Carrier pickups in the offseason ? Snyder has a history of wanting to make big splashy pickups be it in the draft or F.A. I don't think anybody would dispute that. "

I'd dispute it. Sonny is absolutely correct here. It is wildly impossible to take ONE offseason of moves from Snyder, who is now entering his FOURTH offseason and say that his first offseason of ownership display a "history" of wanting to make big, splashy moves. Now, if you mean history in the ongoing sense, then I disagree. If you mean it in the sense that it happened once, then sure. You could say the space shuttle has a history of exploding while coming in for a landing and because it happened once it'd be true.

But, the fact is, Snyder came in and helped immediately jolt the defense. He did absolutely nothing in his second year. Last year, largely, we did nothing really splashy. Trotter is NOT splashy. He's a hard worker who isn't all that big a name. It's true that Snyder is willing to make a bold move and dare to create something of significance. But, it is not true that he has an ongoing history of doing such things, other than one in three tries, so, he has a greater history of doing nothing than doing something splashy.

Though, not to put too fine a point on it, we would be fortunate if he would get back to splashy again. Last time -- the only time -- he was so we improved 26 spots defensively. We could use more success of that nature if that's the result of his splashing.

quote from Del Rio at the combine

From ESPN:

Irony was in full effect at the combine on Wednesday. As Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio took the podium, the 39-year-old's cell phone rang to the tune of "This Old Man." After the initial laugh, Del Rio targeted speed on defense as the team's priority in the draft. But there might not be any defensive burners remaining worthy of the Jags' No.8 pick. Instead, the Jags might opt to go with Miami Hurricanes wideout Andre Johnson. Del Rio did say it was a priority to get a player to bookend with Jimmy Smith. "We feel Jimmy Smith is still one of the elite receivers in the league," said Del Rio. "We need to get someone to complement him so teams can't continue to roll coverages his way."

I think the REAL misconception on the board is that the Skins won't be able to find players for the DL unless they use their #1 pick or sign a major free agent like Hugh Douglas.

most of the best offensive and defensive line players the Skins have had over the years were NOT #1 draft choices by the club.

remember Dexter (#5), Charles Mann (#3) and Darryl Grant (#9)?

Originally posted by bulldog

I think the REAL misconception on the board is that the Skins won't be able to find players for the DL unless they use their #1 pick or sign a major free agent like Hugh Douglas.

most of the best offensive and defensive line players the Skins have had over the years were NOT #1 draft choices by the club.

remember Dexter (#5), Charles Mann (#3) and Darryl Grant (#9)?

:cheers:

Bump... :laugh:

Now that it is clear we can move on Johnson without fear of our D falling apart, how do we go about getting him?

One thought I had is that we are running back rich and may want to consider trading Watson or Betts depending on which one Trung best replaces. I know they are not proven guys that will make teams rush to trade but if you need a RB and an extra draft pick, they have shown good potential.

The main point of this is while I rag on Smoot at times, I would rather keep him than loose him and I'm looking for a way to move up without putting him on the block. Any ideas?

BTW look at my last post and the date. :pint: Now who's da man? :laugh:

Archived