Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor's Death & Redskins Salary Cap

Equinoox

The commissioner would have to make a ruling at some point but a rule could be codified that would handle most situations.

For example, death of a player is an easy situation to resolve. Paralysis is not that difficult but "career threatening" injury is sketchy. Robert Edwards, for example, played football again in the CFL.

My original proposal was to leave the remaining portions of the signing bonus on the cap as if they would if the player were still living and when the contract ends, they end. The only "cap hit" would be what was already in place because of the signing bonus and the hits would occur in the years they normally would. Another thing could be to limit the size of the cap hits, so they wouldn't be excessive in any one season, like the $20 million cap hit I mentioned in a previous post. If they are so large, they could be spread out over multiple years.

The problem would be when to use one of these plans? Death, obviously but what about prison?

Again, the commissioner would ultimately have to make some sort of ruling.

The commissioner would have to make a ruling at some point but a rule could be codified that would handle most situations.

For example, death of a player is an easy situation to resolve. Paralysis is not that difficult but "career threatening" injury is sketchy. Robert Edwards, for example, played football again in the CFL.

My original proposal was to leave the remaining portions of the signing bonus on the cap as if they would if the player were still living and when the contract ends, they end. The only "cap hit" would be what was already in place because of the signing bonus and the hits would occur in the years they normally would. Another thing could be to limit the size of the cap hits, so they wouldn't be excessive in any one season, like the $20 million cap hit I mentioned in a previous post. If they are so large, they could be spread out over multiple years.

The problem would be when to use one of these plans? Death, obviously but what about prison?

Again, the commissioner would ultimately have to make some sort of ruling.

Owners and players would have to sign off to. I'm sure the players would be in favor of it because it would increase the pool of money available to off-season free agents. But for owners, it would increase the money available to off-season free agents.

Let's say you are the owner of a mid-sized team like KC and this scenario comes up. Taylor was a Free Agent last season and someone like Jerry Jones signed him to a $30 million contract. Suddenly, the market for safeties is completely out of whack and a second tier guy (like a Ryan Clark) is probably getting 10 to 15 percent more just because.

Okay...now tragedy strikes. If Jerry Jones is allowed out from under that contract he can jump into the market again and sign someone like Lance Briggs to an obscene contract. Now, the LB market is out of whack as well and second-tier guy like Boss Bailey is making 10 or 15 percent more just because.

Granted, it is a really small problem since this is (hopefully) a rare event.

But let's go back to last year. If TO had overdosed and actually died or injured himself to the extent that he was out of football, would you be advocating cap relief for the Cowboys?

But let's go back to last year. If TO had overdosed and actually died or injured himself to the extent that he was out of football' date=' would you be advocating cap relief for the Cowboys?[/quote']

I'm not advocating cap "relief" just no cap "penalty". Accelerating the prorated portion of the signing bonus is a penalty. If you let the prorated signing bonus continue as they are then the team doesn't get penalized for a player dying. They stil have to replace the player and still have the prorated signing bonus hit on the cap in those years but there's no penalty added on top of it.

I'm not advocating cap "relief" just no cap "penalty". Accelerating the prorated portion of the signing bonus is a penalty. If you let the prorated signing bonus continue as they are then the team doesn't get penalized for a player dying. They stil have to replace the player and still have the prorated signing bonus hit on the cap in those years but there's no penalty added on top of it.

I don't disagree with you, but I think there is a good reason behind a bright line rule. Emotionally, it would seem fair that the Skins should have the option to prorate the bonus money over the term of the contract. In this case, ST was expected to be with the Skins for the full term. On the other hand, there are a lot of contracts, including other Skins contracts, where there is no reasonable expectation that the player will stay for the full term - the length is simply there to spread out the large bonus that the player desires.

With regard to circumstances, from the team's monetary perspective (not emotionally of course), this is not a lot different from a career ending injury. Emotionally, I feel a lot differently for a guy who gets shot in his home than I do for a guy that gets shot at a strip club or in a drug deal. I feel a lot worse for a team that loses a star player who is a victim of a cheap shot than a I about a team that loses a player who is administering a cheap shot. But I don't think that the NFL should make decisions about who gets favorable treatment and who doesn't.

In this case, the loss of ST is 1000x more important than the temporary cap loss. ST was pretty far into the contract, so it might be better to just get it cleared from the cap as soon as possible.

I'm normally against the big bonuses, but now I'm glad the Sean's daughter will have that money.

I still feel in the event and only event of a death; that it should be treated differently. Injuries, drug charges, dog fighting, jail terms, etc. are not even close to a death of a player. No chance of the player comming back. I hope this is something that the league would look into.

The right thing to do for the commissioner is modify the rule. Someone who dies should not count 1 cent toward future salary CAPs.

What if god forbid a plane carrying a most a football team went down with no survivors? If the team had to take the same CAP hit they do for injuries or cutting a player most would not have enough CAP room to field an entire team the followig year. Ours and some others would be over the CAP and not only could not field a team but would get penalized for being over the CAP.

1st - As for is it right to discuss this - yes.

the day after my father died we meet with the lawer and finical advisor.

It's ok to discuss these things. I promise you The Redskins and Sean Taylors family is.

2nd - While I agree there should be a exemption - Perhaps I've watched to many Crime Drama's, but I would hate there actually be a motive, or bennifit, to a team if someone dies.

Team A signs a start player to a 20 million signing bonus over 10 years. 2 million a year, no big cap hit. By year three - The player sucks and is bringing down the team. But you can't cut him due to the salery cap hit. So now, I'm hopeing that something bad happens to him?

I don't disagree with you, but I think there is a good reason behind a bright line rule. Emotionally, it would seem fair that the Skins should have the option to prorate the bonus money over the term of the contract. In this case, ST was expected to be with the Skins for the full term. On the other hand, there are a lot of contracts, including other Skins contracts, where there is no reasonable expectation that the player will stay for the full term - the length is simply there to spread out the large bonus that the player desires.

Under my proposal the team would have the option to accelerate the prorated signing bonus in any year remaining in the length of the contract or let the prorated signing bonus portion run out to the end of the contract.

For example, if a player dies who has 5 years left on his contract, the team could let the 5 remaining prorated signing bonus run out for five years or they could accelerate the full five years onto the cap for the next season. The team could also have one year of prorated signing bonus then accelerate the remaining four years on the cap for the next year or they could continue for two years of prorated signing bonus and then accelerate the remaining three years onto the cap. That way, they could sort of arrange it around when they might have more cap room available.

I still feel in the event and only event of a death; that it should be treated differently. Injuries, drug charges, dog fighting, jail terms, etc. are not even close to a death of a player. No chance of the player comming back. I hope this is something that the league would look into.

What if a player had his knee crushed saving a little girl from being hit by a car?

What if a player is shot in a drug deal? What if this player had formerly dealt drugs and the team knew about it when they signed him to a big bonus?

Under those circumstances, it seems like the team who lost the player who saved the girl's life should not be penalized relative to the drug dealer.

Given that the league has already had to make a policy decision on this matter based on other players, I really don't think its a good idea to change. In this particular case, the salary cap ramifications aren't that much different whether it is paid out in two years or over the remaining part of his contract.

Archived