Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This sure wasn't Gibbs fault!!!

qcraftsman

That...seems ridiculous to me. Yeah, I absolutely think he would say "We're going for it" and then let his offensive coordinator call the play. Isn't that what every other coach in the NFL does (those that don't call their own plays all the time, of course)? I find it really hard to believe that he would call the play in that situation, and not his offensive coordinator.

Al Saunders is not the only play caller on the offensive side of our coaching staff. I promise you that. Do a search, Gibbs has admitted to calling plays here and there. You can tell the difference between a Gibbs play and a Saunders play.

If Gibbs is saying 'go for it', he is telling what play to run. Maybe not say, "Listen Al, we are going for it but, we are running this play." Perhaps Al gave him and idea of what he wants to run and Gibbs decided on it. Either way, I am certain that Gibbs had the final decision on what play was ran.

EDIT: On a side note, how badly do you really want to change your username? Or are you a fan of irony?

If you do a search on my posts last season, I defended Gibbs until I was blue in the face. I made every excuse (much like everyone else seems to be doing this season) as to why Gibbs does this and does that and why he doesn't do this or that. I convinced myself that Gibbs just needs another year to get this ship righted. Well, guess what? That year is here and it's the same ol' song and dance. Same tune, same beat, same results.

I doubt hate the man. I don't regret his decision to come back. I wouldn't change it for the world. I still look up to the guy and would still kill to meet him. However, you can not argue the facts that he is mediocre since he has been back. He has lost more times than won. That can't be argued.

Sure, you can claim why Gibbs has a losing record.. the players don

t play.. Snyder this and that.. Gibbs needs time to adjust etc etc.. Point is, whatever your reason or the next guys, Gibbs has this team with a losing record AGAIN. We very well could miss the playoffs yet again.

Do I regret my username? Nope. Would I change it? Sure would. In fact I already PMed a mod about it nearly 2 weeks ago. I realize how ironic it looks pointing out the obvious, all be it the obvious is negative, with a name claiming to praise the guy being 'bashed'.

I am happy Gibbs was here. He helped turn this team around.. and I am convinced that our future is very bright. However, it is time that we get younger with our coaching staff. Someone(s) who can adapt to this NFL.

Gibbs has to get rid of his headset. Give him a seat next to Snyder and let him do what he has done VERY well during Gibbs II.... evaluate talent. Continue to give us quality, youthful players.

That...seems ridiculous to me. Yeah, I absolutely think he would say "We're going for it" and then let his offensive coordinator call the play. Isn't that what every other coach in the NFL does (those that don't call their own plays all the time, of course)? I find it really hard to believe that he would call the play in that situation, and not his offensive coordinator.

Exactly and Gibbs stated as much last week. He said Saunders calls the plays. They may consult between drives on the type of stuff to run, but he doesn't talk to him during the drives because he knows its a distraction. It amazes me that if the play works, then a great play by Saunders, but if it didn't, then it had Gibbs written all over it. :doh:

Gibbs is clueless in today's NFL. When we need to go for it on 4th down or when we should go for it on 4th down he punts/kicks. When we need to kick and get the 3, he goes for it. Does anyone on the coaching staff know basic math? Can we get them a calculator for the sidelines? Breaux has nothing to do, let him work it. Get him the one with the extra big buttons so he can see it.

I have no problem at all with him going for it. We had marched down the field on our first possesion and scored a TD. We had stopped the Bucs on their first possesion. If we score a TD, then the momentum is hugely in our favor. If we don't make it, they are deep in their territory.

Unfortunately, their punter had a great day.

respectfully, but i completely disagree...

as is the case with any leader, in any position, the burden of failure lies squarely upon your shoulders...

you can be a platoon leader

you can be a CEO

you can be a head football coach

or you can be a President (ala Harry "the buck stops here" Truman")

your responsibility, as a leader, is to ensure that the people beneath you succeed....

and when they do not, the responsibility is yours....

and when they succeed...the glory is theirs...

it is the sad paradox of leadership....none of the glory, all of the responsibility...

and Gibbs has enjoyed more glory than most...

but the cold fact is simply this:

by losing today, we have assured that Gibbs will have a losing record through his first 4 years back as a head coach (we are now 26-33 through 3.5+ seasons, with 5 games remaining)....that certainly lies squarely upon the shoulders of "the Coach" and his staff...

Gibbs went for it on three 4th downs and Cambell had 49 pass attempts. I sure can say that he did what the fans have asked for today and our guys had to have 6 turnovers. Discusting!!!

Also I can't stand how some the so called fans on this site are still blaming Gibbs. That never gets old when I hear those things.

Today was on the players and 6 turnovers. I thought JG called a decent game, but most of the season hasn't been that way.

Exactly and Gibbs stated as much last week. He said Saunders calls the plays. They may consult between drives on the type of stuff to run, but he doesn't talk to him during the drives because he knows its a distraction. It amazes me that if the play works, then a great play by Saunders, but if it didn't, then it had Gibbs written all over it. :doh:

I shall add to my claim that when you talk about the 'untouchable one', the supporters not only become defensive and paranoid, but denial also sets in.

I am saying Gibbs called the play to run on 4th down. Not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. 4th. Do yourself a favor and perform a search. Gibbs admitted that he has brought Al in to call the plays but, will make the 'critical decisions'. Whether to go for 2 or a regular PAT and also if we shall go for it on 4th or not. That is Gibbs call.

If Gibbs is making THAT call.. why can't he make the play call as well? How about when Gibbs was calling 'Jumbo' against Dallas in the second half. I believe it was in the 4th quarter. He clearly see Gibbs looking at his playcard and screaming 'Jumbo' followed by some other words. I am no expert in reading lips but, it was clear he was saying Jumbo.

When we brought Al Saunders in.. everyone who KNEW Gibbs. Not knew OF him. But, physically KNEW him, was shocked. Saying, how much pride Gibbs had to swallow in order to admit that you can't do it anymore and need help. If Gibbs had to swallow so much pride to get Saunders here.. who is to say that Gibbs sits on his hands during drives? You really think he has no input on what plays get ran?

Please. It is ok to defend Gibbs. But, please don't allow denial to set in. It ain't healthy. No need to lead yourself with false hope.

Gibbs went for it on three 4th downs and Cambell had 49 pass attempts. I sure can say that he did what the fans have asked for today and our guys had to have 6 turnovers. Discusting!!!

Also I can't stand how some the so called fans on this site are still blaming Gibbs. That never gets old when I hear those things.

They came out extremely flat which was the reason why there were sloppy and yes that is on the Coaches.

This was a must win for this team and they did not show up till halftime I put that blame on the coaches especially Gibbs.

I shall add to my claim that when you talk about the 'untouchable one', the supporters not only become defensive and paranoid, but denial also sets in.

I am saying Gibbs called the play to run on 4th down. Not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. 4th. Do yourself a favor and perform a search. Gibbs admitted that he has brought Al in to call the plays but, will make the 'critical decisions'. Whether to go for 2 or a regular PAT and also if we shall go for it on 4th or not. That is Gibbs call.

If Gibbs is making THAT call.. why can't he make the play call as well? How about when Gibbs was calling 'Jumbo' against Dallas in the second half. I believe it was in the 4th quarter. He clearly see Gibbs looking at his playcard and screaming 'Jumbo' followed by some other words. I am no expert in reading lips but, it was clear he was saying Jumbo.

When we brought Al Saunders in.. everyone who KNEW Gibbs. Not knew OF him. But, physically KNEW him, was shocked. Saying, how much pride Gibbs had to swallow in order to admit that you can't do it anymore and need help. If Gibbs had to swallow so much pride to get Saunders here.. who is to say that Gibbs sits on his hands during drives? You really think he has no input on what plays get ran?

Please. It is ok to defend Gibbs. But, please don't allow denial to set in. It ain't healthy. No need to lead yourself with false hope.

Whatever man, I'm not in denial. There is a lot I've been critical of Gibbs here. I'm taking the man's words from last week, you're just theorizing. You might be right, but it sure seems like you're taking a play call that didn't work and pegging it on Gibbs just because of that. What would an Al Saunders play on 4th and 1/2 yard look like? I thought a QB sneak would be the way to go, but I don't see how that is more Saunders like than Gibbs like.

btw....if they had a called a timeout then I could more fully believe Gibbs was in on the call, but he said "let's go for it" once they measured and within a few seconds the play was going in.

but he said "let's go for it" once they measured and within a few seconds the play was going in.

More than enough reason as to why I firmly believe that ws Gibbs doing. Could I be wrong? Most certainly. Wouldn't be the first and certainly not the last. But, until I see Saunders and Gibbs coming out and saying who called that play and why.. I am going to stick to my guns and say Gibbs called that handoff to CP.

More than enough reason as to why I firmly believe that ws Gibbs doing. Could I be wrong? Most certainly. Wouldn't be the first and certainly not the last. But, until I see Saunders and Gibbs coming out and saying who called that play and why.. I am going to stick to my guns and say Gibbs called that handoff to CP.

Fair enough...but why is that play Gibbsian and not Saudersian?

Going for it on 4th down independent of distance, score, and time is not inherently gutsy. If you're UP 7 on the road and choose a 50 yd. Suisham field goal on 4th and 1 then you have no *****. If you're DOWN six on the road and decide to run on 4th and 1 instead of kicking a 20 yd. Suisham field goal to cut the lead to 3 with an entire quarter of football to go then you are simply asinine.

we are 5-6 if its not the coachings fault then whos is it?

Absolutely. Honestly I felt that Campbell would be our weak spot this year but he has exceeded expectations and betrays how young and inexperienced he actually is. If Gibbs and Co. cannot put this team where it should be at 8-3, 7-4 then it's time for them to step down.

Fair enough...but why is that play Gibbsian and not Saudersian?

Because it was a 4th down play. Gibbs is not going to go for it without having the final say/call on what play was ran. Simple as that. Just going by Gibbs and his pride and what he has said. It is his call on 4th down so, why not his play call as well?

Because it was a 4th down play. Gibbs is not going to go for it without having the final say/call on what play was ran. Simple as that. Just going by Gibbs and his pride and what he has said. It is his call on 4th down so, why not his play call as well?

didnt i read somewhere that Gibbs calls the plays inside the red zone anyway? wouldnt that solve that argument?

So, what was the right play call if this was the wrong one?

respectfully, but i completely disagree...

as is the case with any leader, in any position, the burden of failure lies squarely upon your shoulders...

you can be a platoon leader

you can be a CEO

you can be a head football coach

or you can be a President (ala Harry "the buck stops here" Truman")

your responsibility, as a leader, is to ensure that the people beneath you succeed....

and when they do not, the responsibility is yours....

and when they succeed...the glory is theirs...

it is the sad paradox of leadership....none of the glory, all of the responsibility...

and Gibbs has enjoyed more glory than most...

but the cold fact is simply this:

by losing today, we have assured that Gibbs will have a losing record through his first 4 years back as a head coach (we are now 26-33 through 3.5+ seasons, with 5 games remaining)....that certainly lies squarely upon the shoulders of "the Coach" and his staff...

Agreed.

In this case, even more so, because Gibbs got a lot of the credit for players doing the right things at the right times in the 80s. And for the team being generally ready to play most Sundays. He gets credit for the game day heroics of Monk, Clark, Green, Riggins, Williams, the Hogs and we say "He won 3 trophies." We hardly say the players won 3 trophies. We say Gibbs did it.

If Gibbs gets credit for those 3 trophies, then he should get the blame for this team not being an elite or even above average team anymore even in year 4 of the "return to glory". Especially since he's the one "buying all the groceries" now.

So, what was the right play call if this was the wrong one?

QB sneak.

didnt i read somewhere that Gibbs calls the plays inside the red zone anyway? wouldnt that solve that argument?

Damn. How can I forget that! :doh: You are exactly correct. Whether that is the way it still is or not, I am not sure. But, that was the way it was to be played out.

QB sneak.

Well, I guess we should be blaming Campbell then since he had the option to audible to a QB sneak.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/25/AR2007112500928_2.html?sid=ST2007112501463

Campbell had the option to change the play to a quarterback sneak, but giving the ball to Portis was the correct call because of the Buccaneers' defensive alignment, Campbell said.

Archived