Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

defensive idea with Landry

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

so most of this year when taylor was in, we were running a cover 3 if im not mistaken. taylor would roam center field and the corners would have deep zones but still follow their man if they were going deep. it worked well to a point.

against the cowboys with taylor out, we played a tampa 2. fletcher would sprint backwards to cover the deep middle, and landry and doughty would play the deep zones on the numbers. the cowboys showed a blueprint for how to kill this defense, as they had done with the bears earlier on. all the TDs in the 2nd half were blatant exploitations of this scheme for us.

my question is, isnt landry good enough to sub in for taylor for these few games that hes out? im in no way saying hes going to be as effective, ST is the best in the league and landry is a rookie, but i mean doesnt it sound a little more feasible to have landry roam center field, put doughty in the box where he doesnt have to cover, and let springs/smoot do what theyve done all season? we saw what it looks like when prioleau and doughty have to play in coverage, and its uuuuugly, so why not just put landry where taylor was, and put doughty in the box?

maybe landry just isnt ready for this and williams knows it, but id like to think our 1st round pick, 6th overall, and best saftey/defensive player in the draft could do decently in this role for 1 game or so.

my question is, isnt landry good enough to sub in for taylor for these few games that hes out? im in no way saying hes going to be as effective, ST is the best in the league and landry is a rookie, but i mean doesnt it sound a little more feasible to have landry roam center field, put doughty in the box where he doesnt have to cover, and let springs/smoot do what theyve done all season? we saw what it looks like when prioleau and doughty have to play in coverage, and its uuuuugly, so why not just put landry where taylor was, and put doughty in the box?

My thoughts exactly - are we using Landry in the most effective manner possible?

The other idea is something I heard Jaws mention the other day, and it has to do with the safeties playing closer to the line of scrimmage to bump the receivers and play physical close to the line, and let the players who cover well (Springs, Smoot) play in deep zones.

so most of this year when taylor was in, we were running a cover 3 if im not mistaken. taylor would roam center field and the corners would have deep zones but still follow their man if they were going deep. it worked well to a point.

against the cowboys with taylor out, we played a tampa 2. fletcher would sprint backwards to cover the deep middle, and landry and doughty would play the deep zones on the numbers. the cowboys showed a blueprint for how to kill this defense, as they had done with the bears earlier on. all the TDs in the 2nd half were blatant exploitations of this scheme for us.

maybe landry just isnt ready for this and williams knows it, but id like to think our 1st round pick, 6th overall, and best saftey/defensive player in the draft could do decently in this role for 1 game or so.

Greg Williams is so predictable, stupid and arrogant he will probably put Pierson back out on the field after that performance last week and try the same thing over again.

Greg Williams is so predictable, stupid and arrogant he will probably put Pierson back out on the field after that performance last week and try the same thing over again.

seriously, prioleau has looked very sub par thsi year, which sucks because he was considered a pretty solid cover guy. he is far from it this season.

seriously, prioleau has looked very sub par thsi year, which sucks because he was considered a pretty solid cover guy. he is far from it this season.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, since he did have a pretty nasty injury, and say the guy isn't 100%. It would affect a DB and his speed or maneuverability more than, say, a lineman.

one concern may be that they don't wanna disrupt landry's development. it's possible that they figured he's been playin well in this role so far and let him stay there. it also seemed like they did the same with PP. i thought he would take taylors place, but it seemed like he played his usual role and the used doughty to replace taylor. each DB had moments when they looked completely lost out there, sean taylor's importants was blantantly obvious.

He's technically not injured, but he's also technically not at top speed.

Would you rather have him out there at 90% or Daughty playing FS?

id rather have landry at free saftey, and anybody else in the box, which was why i made this thread and cant figure out why hed put reed doughty at starting saftey.

and if prioleau is getting beaten by reed doughty for a starting job, thats painfully bad.

id rather have landry at free saftey, and anybody else in the box, which was why i made this thread and cant figure out why hed put reed doughty at starting saftey.

and if prioleau is getting beaten by reed doughty for a starting job, thats painfully bad.

Landry has been playing SS all-year, though. I don't care how good he looks, he's still basically a rookie and switching him up like that is a pretty tough thing to ask. His duties would be almost a 180 degree change.

I don't know why Doughty, either, and can't answer that one. He didn't do as poorly as we might suspect, but it was amplified by the most boneheaded of mistakes made. All he needed to do was turn around and not only negate a PI call, but possibly make a play on the ball.

my question is, isnt landry good enough to sub in for taylor for these few games that hes out?

I would leave Landry in the box and put Springs in center field. Smoot and Macklin could cover the corners and have Springs helping over the top. He's got great game speed and is one of our best cover corners. Macklin and Smoot could do well and have Springs help over the top. Springs would key on the best WR first; i.e., Galloway this weekend.

He is a solid cover guy when he is NOT playing in space (typical FS). We have used him this year in our 3 safety formation as a cover guy on the slot receiver. IMO, he is actually a better CB (not on an island outside but covering the more congested middle with the slot WR) than safety from what I have seen him do in his years playing for the Skins.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, since he did have a pretty nasty injury, and say the guy isn't 100%. It would affect a DB and his speed or maneuverability more than, say, a lineman.

It takes 2 years for someone to truly recover from an ACL. They can play after a year, but won't be up to snuff. Just look at Edgerrin James his first year back from a torn ACL (mediocre) and the next year.

Archived