Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carl Jung, Synchronicity, the Collective Unconscious and the Redskins

skins4eva

I know, I know—what could these various seemingly unrelated topics have to do with one another? Well, chalk it up to some mid-morning/afternoon Monday musings, but I wanted to present this theory to the broader ES community so as to confirm that I’m not crazy (or that I am).

When I was young, I used to pray that the Redskins would win games. I know it was probably “wrong” from morality stance, but I couldn’t help it. If the Skins were down at halftime, I would usually pray, and generally, we would win. I remember, during the ’91 season, praying during a game where we beat the Oilers on a field goal to win 16-13. Generally though, the Skins back in the day were good for more wins than loses. Watching the Dallas game on Sunday, I thought of something—why at halftime with a 10-7 lead was I convinced we were going to lose? I also wondered how many other fans felt that way. There can be no smooth transition into the next paragraph, so I will not attempt one.

Carl Jung, a student of Sigmund Freud’s, was one of the most influential psychologists of all time. Whereas Freud dealt exclusively with the mind and unconscious of the individual, Jung expanded upon that theory and distinguished the personal unconscious from the collective unconscious. The collective unconscious per Jung’s definition was just that: collective to everyone. The synchronicity theory—one of Jung’s most controversial postulates, indicates that the unconscious mind is able to transcend space and time as they are known by us. An rudimentary example would be when a song is in your head for no particular reason and then you immediately hear it on the radio. This type of synchronistic occurrence is not uncommon. Thus, Jung’s concept of synchronicity provides a model of the psyche which is not restricted by the constraints of space and time, but rather, participates in events as a whole. In other words, synchronicity is analogous to post-modern physics and more specifically quantum mechanics, where cause and effect, time, and the common notions of Newtonian physics are thrown into disarray.

Stay with me for a minute—could the Redskins tendency to blow leads, make mistakes at the most inopportune times, and generally defeat themselves be an example of synchronicity and the collective unconscious at work? How may of us expect the Skins to lose, even when they are winning? And if that’s the case, does the effect of that much negativity in our collective unconscious have some bearing on the ultimate result? Why the hell not?

In any event, where do find the ability to reverse that mindset? From within? Or do we need to see the Skins win convincingly before we can turn the corner? Just some ideas on an otherwise dreary Monday.

Well, Jung also said:

A particularly beautiful woman is a source of terror. As a rule, a beautiful woman is a terrible disappointment.

Maybe he meant the Redskins?

Jung also said:

Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism.

Maybe Jung just knew some Redskins fans...

I definately know how you feel. When they went in at halftime I was convinced we were going to blow it. I guess after years of dissapointment its hard to get away from that negative thinking. I never thought about what you have said before, but it is certainely a interesting theory. Im just going to keep telling myself the skins will win this weekend, and send some positive vibes there way.

I definately know how you feel. When they went in at halftime I was convinced we were going to blow it. I guess after years of dissapointment its hard to get away from that negative thinking. I never thought about what you have said before, but it is certainely a interesting theory. Im just going to keep telling myself the skins will win this weekend, and send some positive vibes there way.

I'm going to try this week as well...instead of thinking we're going to throw an INT, I'll believe a TD is coming.

After the nasty thread you started about Joe Gibbs, I believe my collective unconscious will say you'll stir the hornets nest again! :rolleyes:

Boo-freakin-hoo. Fact is, Gibbs doesn't want to take risks, and without taking risks, you will not win games in this league. The decision making on 4th and 1 has cost us many many games during Gibbs II. It shows a lack of faith in the offense and the players. If the coach doesn't have faith in the players to get one yard, how can the players have faith in themselves? But, I guess you're ok with that because Gibbs is a golden calf and must be worshiped by all.

Boo-freakin-hoo. Fact is, Gibbs doesn't want to take risks, and without taking risks, you will not win games in this league. The decision making on 4th and 1 has cost us many many games during Gibbs II. It shows a lack of faith in the offense and the players. If the coach doesn't have faith in the players to get one yard, how can the players have faith in themselves? But, I guess you're ok with that because Gibbs is a golden calf and must be worshiped by all.

I think we should just delete all the posts between your thread-starter and this one. :)

I have noticed on this board a tendency to favor subtle, psychological theories over simple explanations. Your post has just taken this trend to its ultimate limit.:D

If you take a group of winning teams and a group of losing teams, and study their first half and second half performances, I strongly suspect that you'd find the winning teams coming back to win lots of games and the losing teams blowing first half leads.

That's where I'd begin trying to explain the phenomenon. Good teams don't lose both halves as often as bad teams do.

I have noticed on this board a tendency to favor subtle, psychological theories over simple explanations. Your post has just taken this trend to its ultimate limit.:D

If you take a group of winning teams and a group of losing teams, and study their first half and second half performances, I strongly suspect that you'd find the winning teams coming back to win lots of games and the losing teams blowing first half leads.

That's where I'd begin trying to explain the phenomenon. Good teams don't lose both halves as often as bad teams do.

Thank you? Yes, the simplier explanation is generally the correct one, but what fun is that? Why do we never have games where we play better in the second half than we do in the first? That to me is an indictment of coaching, not necessarily execution.

Well, the dude got me going. You know the playcalling in-game risk management is a touchy topic for me!

GOOD! That means you do still care, wonderful. But next time try to be little more tasteful in your thread titles. I agree with what your saying, but your lack of respect is in need of work. JG has earned that much. :2cents:

Thank you? Yes, the simplier explanation is generally the correct one, but what fun is that? Why do we never have games where we play better in the second half than we do in the first? That to me is an indictment of coaching, not necessarily execution.

I guess I should have credited you with high marks for the creativity evident in your theory.:)

Okay, why have we not been able to do better in the second half -- beside the obvious fact that we haven't been a very good team (26-32)? We haven't had a consistent passing game in Gibbs 2.0. In order to make comebacks, and to counter-punch when other teams come back on us, you need to throw the football effectively.

I look for that to change. In the Eagles game and againt Dallas, Campbell passed from the Shotgun formation on 46% of 116 offensive plays and was successful doing it. That's a major advance for this team.

I guess I should have credited you with high marks for the creativity evident in your theory.:)

Okay, why have we not been able to do better in the second half -- beside the obvious fact that we haven't been a very good team (26-32)? We haven't had a consistent passing game in Gibbs 2.0. In order to make comebacks, and to counter-punch when other teams come back on us, you need to throw the football effectively.

I look for that to change. In the Eagles game and againt Dallas, Campbell passed from the Shotgun formation on 46% of 116 offensive plays and was successful doing it. That's a major advance for this team.

But doesn't it seem that by the time Gibbs adjusts to the modern day NFL, Campbell will be retired? We're taking about a coach, who in his second tour of duty, refused to implement the shotgun offense for an entire season. I guess that's why Saunders was brought in--perhaps Gibbs realized that he had surrounded himself with loyal associates, but the loyalty had created a groupthink mentality and an echo chamber. Kudos to Gibbs for recognizing his own limitations. Nevertheless, we need a coach to properly calculate the odds and potential updside vs. the downside of going for it on 4th and 1. The 50 yard field goal in the first half on 4th and 1 was the wrong decision, and it's the wrong decision every time in the first half unless your offense is playing terribly and the wind is at your back.

I still think, at least season, the playcalling and conservative decision making largely explain our failures in the second-half. Obviously, we are capable of throwing the ball, Gibbs just doesn't like to do it.

GOOD! That means you do still care, wonderful. But next time try to be little more tasteful in your thread titles. I agree with what your saying, but your lack of respect is in need of work. JG has earned that much. :2cents:

Of course I care--I've risked divorce for this site and for the skins! Sometimes I think I care way too much.

But doesn't it seem that by the time Gibbs adjusts to the modern day NFL, Campbell will be retired? We're taking about a coach, who in his second tour of duty, refused to implement the shotgun offense for an entire season. I guess that's why Saunders was brought in--perhaps Gibbs realized that he had surrounded himself with loyal associates, but the loyalty had created a groupthink mentality and an echo chamber. Kudos to Gibbs for recognizing his own limitations. Nevertheless, we need a coach to properly calculate the odds and potential updside vs. the downside of going for it on 4th and 1. The 50 yard field goal in the first half on 4th and 1 was the wrong decision, and it's the wrong decision every time in the first half unless your offense is playing terribly and the wind is at your back.

I still think, at least season, the playcalling and conservative decision making largely explain our failures in the second-half. Obviously, we are capable of throwing the ball, Gibbs just doesn't like to do it.

I was an early critic of Joe Gibbs and took much abuse for it. The good news is that he learns from his mistakes. The bad news is that he's made more than his fair share of mistakes in his return to the NFL.

I also favor an aggressive approach on fourth down calls.

Whether to go for it or not on fourth down depends on the score in my book. With no score, on the road against a team with superior talent, going for it is a no-brainer. But, up by seven, it's a tossup if you think your kicker has a 60% chance of making it.

I would have gone for it, but I'm not going to rap Joe for this one. He does have a pattern of conservatism on these calls though going back to his glory years that has cost us games.

I was an early critic of Joe Gibbs and took much abuse for it. The good news is that he learns from his mistakes. The bad news is that he's made more than his fair share of mistakes in his return to the NFL.

I also favor an aggressive approach on fourth down calls.

Whether to go for it or not on fourth down depends on the score in my book. With no score, on the road against a team with superior talent, going for it is a no-brainer. But, up by seven, it's a tossup if you think your kicker has a 60% chance of making it.

I would have gone for it, but I'm not going to rap Joe for this one. He does have a pattern of conservatism on these calls though going back to his glory years that has cost us games.

Yes, it doesn't make you popular to criticize Gibbs. But, he deserves it in the second iteration. The score obviously should determine whether or not to kick the FG. However, like you said, on the road against a team with superior talent, when you have a chance to extend drives, you need to take it.

Regarding your last point, the fact that Gibbs thinks every single game is going to be a dog fight seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I wish he had a killer instinct and just went for the jugular.

Archived