Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playoff picture as of 11/14.....

djspinoy

Thats pretty interesting..Arizona is a game back of us now and since we have the tiebreak they are essentially 2 games back..looking at their schedule i can see them losing the rest of their road games (cincy,seattle and new orleans) the best i can see them finishing is 9-7 (5-2) the rest of the way and that still wouldnt get them in if the skins finish 9-7..Now Detroit is a game ahead but we have the tiebreak..their sched is sooo brutal(nyg,gb,@min,dal,@sd,kc,@gb) i can see them losing at least 4 there and that would put them at 9-7 again losing the tiebreaker to the skins if we can get to 9-7..To me I htink it comes down to NO/Tampa/washington, and 1 of those teams is gonna win hte NFC South.

yea but dont forget we lost 3 conference games.so even though we beat detroit. if dey have more wins in the nfc conference. dey make it.

Hold on, Heidenreich. "Division ties" means tied for the division lead, not tied for a wildcard spot with a divisional rival.

Let's say we are tied for a wildcard spot with NYG and DET, head-to-head goes out the window, because it's a 3-way tie. Head-to-head only matters if it's a 2-way tie. Conference record becomes the first tiebreaker in that case.

Division record is completely irrelevent in terms of wildcard tiebreakers.

Incorrect. It used to be that way, but it changed when the divisions realigned in 2002.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

Three or More Clubs

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Incorrect. It used to be that way, but it changed when the divisions realigned in 2002.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

Three or More Clubs

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Wow, sorry. I didn't realize that. What a mess--I like the old system better. Not just because the old system would probably help us more, but because this just seems 10 times more complicated.

Wow, sorry. I didn't realize that. What a mess--I like the old system better. Not just because the old system would probably help us more, but because this just seems 10 times more complicated.

It is, it really is. Especially when you get to the strength of victory & The stregth of schedule.....

For a quick tutorial on strength of victory.

That is calcualted by the record of the teams you've played.

Taking the Giants. They've beaten:

Washington (5)

Philly (4)

Atlanta (3)

San Fran (2)

New York (1)

Miami (0)

Strength of victory = 14. Otherwise known as not very good.

Washingtons strength of victory:

Miami (0)

Philly (4)

Detroit (6)

Arizona (4)

New York (1)

Strength of victory= 15. And we have one less win than the Giants! :)

Like you said, it's almost needlessly complicated. Hopefully it doesn't get this far......

If you guys are really thinking about this, you might want to root for the Giants this week.

I could never root for them as well as any other divisonal rival. We will beat the gnats at there house and and be even. The gnats will start to implode as always towards the end of the season. If we can beat the cowgirls at there house this week then i will say we can win the divison. If not well then the #6 spot will be ok then too. :point2sky

Here are their current playoff odds for NFC teams (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds.php):

1. Dallas (99.9%)

2. Green Bay (99.8%)

3. Seattle (83.4%)

4. New York (70.1%)

5. Arizona (35%)

6. Detroit (34.1%)

7. Washington (28.2%)

8. New Orleans (20.7%)

I screwed up and overlooked Tampa Bay. According to FO, the situation is a little more discouraging:

1. Dallas (99.9%)

2. Green Bay (99.8%)

3. Tampa Bay (90.3%)

4. Seattle (83.4%)

5. New York (70.1%)

6. Arizona (35%)

7. Detroit (34.1%)

8. Washington (28.2%)

9. New Orleans (20.7%)

10. Philadelphia (13.8%)

:(

what a complete waste of time this post was/is. We have next to ZERO chance of making the playoffs. Once Dallas steamrolls us that fact we be abundantly clear to us...and to you as well sir. Even in the mightily watered down, almost unwatchable NFC we still won't make it. What a sad state of affairs. Draft picks!

Well...I hate to say it,but I think we might have as good a shot at the division than a WC birth..!

If we beat Dallas,then it changes everything...At 6-4 and Dallas at 8-2 would be a good start...

If we could gain some ground on them after that point then we would have a great shot at doing so!

I still say 11-5 and sweeping Dallas could win the division...We still can afford another loss!!

The Lions had -18 rushing yards against AZ. That should tell you how legit they are. They had one of the easiest first half skeds and one of the toughest 2nd hald skeds. They will finish 2-5 and lose the WC birth tiebreaker to the Skins

What one team does versus one oppononet has NO BEARING in any other game.

who cares...we might make the playoffs but Gibbs will blow the game in the 4th quareter...IF we don't get destroyed...and unfortunately it will not be the Dolphins, the Jets, or the Cards :P so there will be no lucky wins out of that.

Seriously! Ok so all of you hoping for the playoffs tell me this. We've beat one team with a winning record all year and I suspect that is due to them being cursed playing here. Why do you think we are a playoff team? If we continue to beat the very bad teams and continue to play like crap against anyone who's any good what do you think it will mean long term for us to make it into the playoffs? We will likely lose the Wildcard game and we will drop in the draft order. We've seen how we play against good teams, were terrible. Only the best make it into the playoffs and were not in that class this year.

I'm not suggesting that we try and lose the remainder of the season but winning games this year when we had such a soft schedule after losing so many games the previous year isn't going to help us long term. In 08 we will have a harder schedule with about the same team and middle of the road draft picks because we beat up on the worst of the league. Maybe if we were able to beat some of the good or decent teams I would have a brighter outlook on the idea of playoffs but right now I feel as if we are nothing more then pretenders talking about this.

Seriously! Ok so all of you hoping for the playoffs tell me this. We've beat one team with a winning record all year and I suspect that is due to them being cursed playing here. Why do you think we are a playoff team? If we continue to beat the very bad teams and continue to play like crap against anyone who's any good what do you think it will mean long term for us to make it into the playoffs? We will likely lose the Wildcard game and we will drop in the draft order. We've seen how we play against good teams, were terrible. Only the best make it into the playoffs and were not in that class this year.

I'm not suggesting that we try and lose the remainder of the season but winning games this year when we had such a soft schedule after losing so many games the previous year isn't going to help us long term. In 08 we will have a harder schedule with about the same team and middle of the road draft picks because we beat up on the worst of the league. Maybe if we were able to beat some of the good or decent teams I would have a brighter outlook on the idea of playoffs but right now I feel as if we are nothing more then pretenders talking about this.

There's no such thing as a "last place" schedule anymore.

You already know 14 of the skins opponents next year.

Home games- Phil, dallas, NYG, Arizona, St louis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland

Away games- Phil, dallas, NYG, Seattle, San Fran, Baltimore, Cincy

There's only 2 games that are different. Finishing Third likely makes those teams Carolina & Chicago. 4th Makes them Atlanta & Minnesota.....

And, to add. The giants have only beaten one team with a winning record too. But everyone is scared of them (for some reason). Dallas has only beaten one (well 2, the giants twice).

The whole point of being a fan is hoping your team makes the playoffs & wins a championship.

Why does everyone feel like they need to rain on our parade?????

There's no such thing as a "last place" schedule anymore.

You already know 14 of the skins opponents next year.

Home games- Phil, dallas, NYG, Arizona, St louis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland

Away games- Phil, dallas, NYG, Seattle, San Fran, Baltimore, Cincy

There's only 2 games that are different. Finishing Third likely makes those teams Carolina & Chicago. 4th Makes them Atlanta & Minnesota.....

You just proved there is! How can you say there isn't an advantage over playing terrible teams like Atlanta and Minnesota vs playing better teams like Chicago and Carolina? Any fan of the team would rather play those two teams then play Chicago and Carolina, COME ON!!

Two wins any year can make the difference between 1st and 2nd, or playoffs or not. Thanks for proving there is an advantage over a last place schedule even though you think there isn't, :doh:

And, to add. The giants have only beaten one team with a winning record too. But everyone is scared of them (for some reason). Dallas has only beaten one (well 2, the giants twice).

And the Giants beat us. And that matters alot. And the giants have probably the best Defensive Line in football and should be feared where as we don't come close to that. We've had chances to beat 4 winning record teams and we've beaten 1 (Giants, Patriots, Detroit, Packers). We've had chances to beat good teams and failed. The Cowgirls have had three chances and won two of those games and almost beat the Pat's. If a team isn't given the chance to play the best then its not there fault.

The whole point of being a fan is hoping your team makes the playoffs & wins a championship.

Why does everyone feel like they need to rain on our parade?????

The whole point of a fan is to watch your team do the right thing and realize when its your year and when its not. We've got too many injuries to make any noise this year. We've been able to beat no one who's any good and you want us to get into the playoffs which would hurt us long term to see we lose another game to a good team. Why? What advantage does it give us other then the false feeling that we aren't that bad of a team? Reality is that we took the 1-8 Jets and the 0-9 Dolphins into overtime, not the makings of a good team by any stretch of the imagination. Thats the reality of our team. I want them to do well but seriously there are consequences of playing for today and saying screw tomorrow and thats what your asking us to do and I think all signs are pointing to this not being our year and you still want to push for it like it is. Delussional dreams are not what the team needs right now, it needs a reality check from the owner on down.

I was thinking about this the other day.

For some reason i have a feeling that we will make it as the 2nd wildcard as a 9-7 team. And we would play TB yet again in TB. They would be the 4th division winner as they lost the game vs. Sea so Seattle would be the #3 division winner. That is what I have come to predict happens.

Basically we root for the Giants to beat Detroit this week and concede that they will be the other wildcard.

I see us as having 3 more L's left in us and am hopeing for 4 more wins (Buf, Min, Chi and either Dal at home due to them resting their starters or at TB next week).

I was thinking about this the other day.

For some reason i have a feeling that we will make it as the 2nd wildcard as a 9-7 team. And we would play TB yet again in TB. They would be the 4th division winner as they lost the game vs. Sea so Seattle would be the #3 division winner. That is what I have come to predict happens.

If we were #6, we would play # 3. So it would be a trip to Seattle under your scenario.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with getting in the playoffs this year. There are TWO (count them ) TWO good teams in the NFC. Green Bay (who we played tough & should have beat), and Dallas.

As a wild card, you'll have to go to either Seattle, New Orleans, or Tampa Bay. Any of those teams are beatable.

Then you roll the dice in round 2.

Such is life when you're an optimist, I guess......

Archived