Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is gibbs philosophy holding the offense back???

UnKle RUku$

It's me again, your boy Rucku$ coming to stir it up again. I would like to hear all the responses possible I want to answer everyone that responds negatively or positively...Here we go!

With the way Gibbs coaches and has coached in years past with the hogs and bugel and smash-mouth football. Do you think this is holding the offense back?

Here is where I stand on this issue...

It's as simple as this, with Gibbs philosophy of bringing in glorified lineman in a 3 TE set, on 3rd and 4 on our own 42 yard line is crazy! When will we see what we have in Jason Campbell and run 3 wide and give him 2 plays based on what he sees with the defense AND LET HIM PLAY!

If we are going with a philosphy of smashmouth why did we bring the mad-scientist Al Saunders to run this offense? Ask yourself, Have you ever seen 3 Te's on the field at the same time in Al Saunders run offenses in the past when he was with St. Louis or Kansas city? Not unless they were in goalline.

All we have been seeing are these 8-12 yard plays and if covered your only option is to check down to the RB or throw it away. This is the same offense we have been seeing the last 3 some odd years since Gibbs took over the team. There is no doubt in my mind that Gibbs and Breaux continue to run this offense and until they hand it over to the person we are paying a million dollars to coach the offense we will indeed continue to have close games and not putting teams away.

Al Saunders is a pass first, and uses the air attack to open the run. Gibbs is a run first to open the pass. This is where our offense is and now with Portis rushing for 190 against the Jets without there starting Middle linebacker now we are this running machine. He was supposedly given his job to call plays but with any coaching staff the head coach has the final say. However, i gaurantee you this, when they brung in Saunders, do you really think that Saunders handed the playbook to Gibbs and said this is what we are running! No, he said here are my plays and Gibbs said " well here are my plays and i want my team to have the philosophy of running the football.

Lastly, I'm not sold on that against any of our NFC foes. Especially the Eggles who we see this Sunday at Fedex. The Eggles have a depleted secondary which means we can probably air it but knowing Gibbs he feels that we have established this identity of running and we will not abandon it until we are down 14 points laste in the third when the Eagles will most likely bring out the Dime or Quarters package with 5 to 7 DB's.

I will drop this last tidbit about this Gibbs and pounding the rock...The eggles front 7 are healthy meaning all of there front 4 lineman and Lb's are healthy and will be ready for the 3 TE's on Sunday!

I hate to say it, but I will love to see you ride into the sunset after this season Gibbs! Make sure you take Don Breaux with you. Leave me Williams, saunders, and dont forget Buges! We gotta have Buges!

Most of the established top tier franchises in the NFL right now are air attack based. With the rule changes for defense and the limitations placed on what can and can't happen the rules favor the air attack. To consistently win and beat good teams in the NFL today you must be able to strike fear with your air attack and establish the run based on that respect. We lack any type of fear this year. We need big time receivers.

Yes agreed, Gibbs is too set in his way and for me I don't think he went to Al Saunders on his own, I would be willing to say it was Snyder that saw how KC crushed us the year before last and told Gibbs I want this style of offense, Gibbs went to get him and the end result is this disgusting offense that is outdated for today's NFL. Many people on here swear by Gibbs because of what he DID! and us getting to the playoffs in 2005 was nothing more than luck, we all should remember even a broken clock is right twice a day. Gibbs needs to handle all autonomy over to Saunders or let him go. Gibbs I think still swears he is back when power football worked, in today's NFL IT DOESN'T how can it when you have 300 pound defensive lineman running 4'5 40's? It also doesn't make sense to want to be a power smash mouth football team when you have a little back like Portis running the ball. We all can see that Portis excels with zone blocking schemes and allowing him to pick his holes to run through, however Gibbs still is too stuck on past glory to adjust his thinking and come into today's NFL. I bet you if we loose this weekend it will be a direct result of Gibbs still trying to put circle shaped objects into square shaped holes. Jason Campbell needs to do say to heck with this toned down run the ball crap and throw deep! I would rather take my chances on a pass interference call than depending on a injury riddled offensive line to run block a team like the Eagles. But hey as long as I play my Madden MY REDSKINS play correctly.

PLEASE can we get just one more thread on this topic??!!

Seriously, I see at least three threads on this EXACT SAME

TOPIC EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! Stop it already!!!! The horse is dead!!! :sucks:

so speak on it. I want to know what you think? this is a forum of people who are on this site to talk about a team that we spend way to much time talking about. It's ridiculous!

Yes agreed, Gibbs is too set in his way and for me I don't think he went to Al Saunders on his own, I would be willing to say it was Snyder that saw how KC crushed us the year before last and told Gibbs I want this style of offense, Gibbs went to get him and the end result is this disgusting offense that is outdated for today's NFL. Many people on here swear by Gibbs because of what he DID! and us getting to the playoffs in 2005 was nothing more than luck, we all should remember even a broken clock is right twice a day. Gibbs needs to handle all autonomy over to Saunders or let him go. Gibbs I think still swears he is back when power football worked, in today's NFL IT DOESN'T how can it when you have 300 pound defensive lineman running 4'5 40's? It also doesn't make sense to want to be a power smash mouth football team when you have a little back like Portis running the ball. We all can see that Portis excels with zone blocking schemes and allowing him to pick his holes to run through, however Gibbs still is too stuck on past glory to adjust his thinking and come into today's NFL. I bet you if we loose this weekend it will be a direct result of Gibbs still trying to put circle shaped objects into square shaped holes. Jason Campbell needs to do say to heck with this toned down run the ball crap and throw deep! I would rather take my chances on a pass interference call than depending on a injury riddled offensive line to run block a team like the Eagles. But hey as long as I play my Madden MY REDSKINS play correctly.

Well said:applause:

my skins on Madden play correctly too. Especially when i bring landry into the box.

No one said you had to open this thread up, or even post in it. If you've already seen a thread like this, skip it, and go on to the next one.

so speak on it. I want to know what you think? this is a forum of people who are on this site to talk about a team that we spend way to much time talking about. It's ridiculous!

My point is that there's nothing I could say that hasn't been said in the other 500 threads on this same subject. No big deal though, as someone said below, I should just skip the thread and go on to the next one.

If the horse is dead why do we keep seeing the same thing week in week out? Its because its Gibbs beating the dead horse of 1980's-90s smashmouth football and we have quite a few games left. This team would be so much better if not for its weak offense which is quite mediocre because of philosophy/play calling.

I bet you if we loose this weekend it will be a direct result of Gibbs still trying to put circle shaped objects into square shaped holes.

Never give up the fight.

loose /lus/ adjective, loos·er, loos·est, adverb, verb loosed, loos·ing.

–adjective

1. free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.

2. free from anything that binds or restrains; unfettered: loose cats prowling around in alleyways at night.

lose /luz/ verb, lost, los·ing. –verb (used with object)

1. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery: I'm sure I've merely misplaced my hat, not lost it.

2. to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered: I just lost a dime under this sofa.

3. to suffer the deprivation of: to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

4. to be bereaved of by death: to lose a sister.

5. to fail to keep, preserve, or maintain: to lose one's balance; to lose one's figure.

6. (of a clock or watch) to run slower by: The watch loses three minutes a day.

7. to give up; forfeit the possession of: to lose a fortune at the gaming table.

Never give up the fight.

loose /lus/ adjective, loos·er, loos·est, adverb, verb loosed, loos·ing.

–adjective

1. free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.

2. free from anything that binds or restrains; unfettered: loose cats prowling around in alleyways at night.

lose /luz/ verb, lost, los·ing. –verb (used with object)

1. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery: I'm sure I've merely misplaced my hat, not lost it.

2. to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered: I just lost a dime under this sofa.

3. to suffer the deprivation of: to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

4. to be bereaved of by death: to lose a sister.

5. to fail to keep, preserve, or maintain: to lose one's balance; to lose one's figure.

6. (of a clock or watch) to run slower by: The watch loses three minutes a day.

7. to give up; forfeit the possession of: to lose a fortune at the gaming table.

Sorry for the misspelling that message board tough guy. Please excuse me for trying to add input and also write code on my job....:doh:

The play calling this year in my opinion has been atrocious. In the Jets game there was a total of one well-called series: the touchdown drive. This was the only drive the passing game got established at all.

That drive looked like Al Saunders offense. The rest of our drives fizzled at the 25 yard line, where you need to have a defense fear a pass to the end zone. There is no respect for the long throw, leaving defenses with 7 and 8 in the box every play. There is no way you can expect to run through this type defense getting close to the red zone and inside it.

Sorry for the misspelling that message board tough guy. Please excuse me for trying to add input and also write code on my job....:doh:

It's the most common spelling mistake in sports internet messageboard history, as many times as I see it those who type loose instead of lose are probably in the majority.

As far as adding input, another majority opinion that baffles me to no end is those who compare Madden and real life. It can't and shouldn't be done.

get this straight people, WE ARE A RUNNING TEAM. it has nothing to do with what gibbs wants or what saunders wants. the fact of the matter is that our o-line wants to run the ball, portis wants to run the ball, and the rest of the offense knows that we are not as good of a passing team to do anything but be a running team.

if we come out 3 or 4 wide every play, we will lose. moss can't break a rolled coverage this year because of his injuries, randel el has had benefited from being the player that defenses have decided not to pay attention to. and our 3rd wide out right now is thrash...he's not that great of a wide receiver.

this team wants to pound the ball and attack with the play action. it's that simple. live with it.

Not so much his philosophy as it is a fear of the QB turning the ball over. It's time to step back and let someone who isn't afraid make the calls do so. And being a "run first" team doesn't mean that this team has to be predictable and one dimentional. We were able to get away with it this week in part because the Jets run D is horrendous.

It's the most common spelling mistake in sports internet messageboard history, as many times as I see it those who type loose instead of lose are probably in the majority.

As far as adding input, another majority opinion that baffles me to no end is those who compare Madden and real life. It can't and shouldn't be done.

The Madden comparison was a joke :silly:

Archived