Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DT Darrell Russell

Buddha

• 8 months later...

I think it is still questionable whether Russell is a good investment and that is just speaking of what he is going to do ON the football field.

However, with the team at 3-4 and generating no pass rush in 35-13 and 24-7 losses the past two weeks, what does the team have to lose for the balance of the season?

Hopefully the contract offered will reflect the risk we will be assuming :)

I am sure that Dalton's tub of goo status is a large part of why the Skins are interested in Russell.

Dalton was supposed to be a starting caliber player and yet so far hasn't been able to take time away from career backups and guys who have been out of the NFL over the past couple of seasons.

Not to slam people.... but what kind of idiot would defend the notion of bringing the bag of manure to the skins?

If we are that desperate then its time to consider the season a lost cause and use the draft on d linemen only.

I'd rather sign slimetime than this guy.

the team is desperate and trying to find any players that could make a difference, even if that entails risk.

after Spurrier talked about finding guys off the street if necessary and having guys that quit on him the onus is on the organization to shake some things up.

DT is one spot where the talent is definitely thin. As mentioned, Dalton was projected to be a major contributor but he has been a no-show to this point.

I don't disagree with you that the sense of desperation is something we seem to suffer each year around this time, based on whatever festering weakness/hole the team failed to plug the previous offseason.

But that's the way it is.

Is Russell going to solve the problems of a team that can't line up and execute basic plays and stop hitting guys 5 yards out of bounds?

No.

But at least it provides us some fodder for the gristmill :)

At 3-4, what else is there to do?

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Joe Gibbs would have had nothing to do with this creep, even if he could play defensive tackle. The guy obviously hasn't got his head screwed on right. He reminds me of another former Raider DT.... the Toose.... Matusack. :puke:

With comments like this, you'd never thought Joe Gibbs put up with all of Dexter Manley's troubles.

Guys, the charges were dropped.

The tests indicated NO GHB in her system. She lied about the date rape drug being used, as they found nothing. She admitted to a history of DRINKING(which often acts as an absolver-of-sin-in-advance for women, who then wake up regretting and feeling stupid) and multiple sex partners(simultaneously)

They analyzed the tape, combined that with the lack of GHB in her system and dropped the charges.

Odds are he's innocent of the rape.

God, his case is even more open-and-shut than Kobe's and you're going to call him a rapist in spite of no conviction or even CRIMINAL TRIAL in his case.

It just proves that no matter what, once the accusation is made you are marked for life.

Joe Gibbs would have had nothing to do with this creep, even if he could play defensive tackle. The guy obviously hasn't got his head screwed on right.

Actually I think Gibbs would assess the situation and if he thought he could salvage the player, give him a chance. That's the kind of guy Gibbs was/is. Gibbs WOULD give someone a second chance if he thought the player was sincere and there was a chance to make them a responsible person.

I think you have to get all the facts and then make a decision on whether it would help the team. And if you do, make it a contract that does NOT harm the team's cap if he fails to live up to the bargain. there has to be clauses in the contract relating to on and off the field situations.

As a fan, we will never have all the facts and will not be able to know what goes into the decision.

Originally posted by rellim

With comments like this, you'd never thought Joe Gibbs put up with all of Dexter Manley's troubles.

Don't forget Jarvis White and Tony Peters two guys who were convicted of Cocaine Trafficikin and returnened to play for Joe Gibbs.... If Joe sold his Soul to win the Super Bowl then why should Steve be any different?

Originally posted by jimster

I agree with Bulldog-I wouldn't want that image on the team-not to mention he's a repeat offender -he'd been in trouble with drugs a couple times, misses court dates and the rape accusation. I wouldn't want Micheal Irvin either-represents the wrong image.

We shouldn't sign him. It would not only be a bad move for the team, but it sends the wrong message to young people.

Many of you will say that that does not matter, but it is the most important thing.

Young people will think "I can be a bad as anything as long as I am good at my job."

As far as whether or not he has been convicted of anything - the NFL convicted him when they suspended him.

As a fan, we will never have all the facts and will not be able to know what goes into the decision.

so true, yet it doesn't stop many from jumping to conclusions, and state speculations and biasis opinions as facts.

Wheher your post is rah rah or negative bashing, I would be happy if some of the argument points contained a little common sense :rolleyes:

Would you guys sign ray lewis if he were available???

What it comes down to is people can play the morality card all they want, but if the player in question is a good player who can help the team many a blind eye are turned.

I don't hink Russell can help the team, atleast not this yr as I'm sure his conditioning is subpar, but with the ste of our DL, I think we sign him.

Originally posted by RedskinFan in PA

We shouldn't sign him. It would not only be a bad move for the team, but it sends the wrong message to young people.

Many of you will say that that does not matter, but it is the most important thing.

Young people will think "I can be a bad as anything as long as I am good at my job."

As far as whether or not he has been convicted of anything - the NFL convicted him when they suspended him.

Dude, I hope you mess up because then you'll know what it's like to try and get your life back in order. It's not easy. Why can't the guy have the benefit of a doubt? He wasn't convicted? I don't care who are as long as your not a serial killer or mass murderer. Everyone deserves a second chance to get their life back in order. I don't see any problem with signing this guy. And you think it will send a negative impression to the youth? If anything it would have a positive spin. It shows that if you screw up and you work hard enough you can straighten your life out. It's people like you that just don't get it sometimes. Not everyone is a saint. People screw up. Most of your lessons learned come from stupid things that you did when you were young. It's how you learn from your mistakes is what makes you a man. Give the guy a chance. And we will see if this guy is serious about turning his life around.

At this point I don't think the Skins have too much to lose. They can bring him in for pretty cheap and see if he adds some fire and attitude to the DL.

Look at players like Michael Pittmann of the Bucs. He's always in legal trouble but his teammates like him and he plays with an edge. Romo sits to pee was another. Although he wasn't in legal trouble too much..he was considered by many to be a "bad guy" and he was a great defensive player.

This move could backfire of course (if it couldn't he wouldn't be available) but it'd be nice to give it a shot and actually have some more young talent on the DL.

Archived