Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smashmouth football is not the answer

Hooper

We are serious pretenders right now. We can't play this way against the New Englands and Dallases of the NFL and expect to come out with the "W." This team is seriously flawed and, unless we learn how to make adjustments (wow, I've got some deja vu, here), we're going to be sitting at home again in January.

STWASM.....we have what we have......plug along...get some nice wins....no more blowouts one hopes...and end up with a respectable season. In my mind...we will always be locked into this cycle until...

1) we competently draft big, fast, athletic talent along the lines. we haven't done that in years.

until we do....we will always be reaching...but never grasping....

I'm just having a hard time complaining when the teams we've lost to have a combined record of 22-3. The reason people feel the Jets are a bad team is because of their atrocious record. If a bad record means a team is bad, then shouldn't a good record mean that a team is good? 5-3 isn't too shabby.

No. There is a difference between being a good 5-3 team and a lucky 5-3 team. There were times when it seemed like the Redskins were fighting and the ball never bounced our way. We, the fans, felt we were better than our record indicated. Right now I can't say that we are as good as our record indicates based on the games played, not the score of the games or the record.

There are countless positives but GOOD NFL teams are going to take advantage of the mishaps and the poor coaching decisions. Some of you guys need to stop drinking that koolaid.

In the game yesterday, i did notice that they sent Campbell back on 5 step drops yesterday, but he seemed like he got happy feet and looked to his checkdown recievers. I dont think Campbell has confidence in his ability to make the deep ball work yet, a lot doing with the Green Bay game. On more then one occasion, Campbell hit his reciever in stride down the field and the ball was dropped. That can stick in the back of your mind for a WHILE

Campbell only attempted 3 passes over 15 yards. 3!!!! Something is seriously wrong

Campbell only attempted 3 passes over 15 yards. 3!!!! Something is seriously wrong

that's my point. the plays were in place but Campbell didnt pull the trigger. when Campbell was rolling left on the 3rd down and he threw the ball away, if he had another second and looked across the field, Sellars was pretty well wide open and could have scored.

and what did we do when JC was barely ever touched and the OLine was run-blocking their asses off? We put up 30 points on Detroit. Not saying that is the end all be all, just sayin ... we have done it before, we can do it again.

Put Brady behind our OLine right now and think about how "great" his numbers would be. They are already where they want to be, we are still a team in transition.

Both the Jets and the Lions have one of the worse DLs in football. The jets are not ranked 29th against the run for nothing.

Both the Jets and the Lions have one of the worse DLs in football. The jets are not ranked 29th against the run for nothing.

I see your point, but for me, rankings don't really mean much. Teams play better from week to week and vice-versa, depending on who is injured, where the game is played, if weather is an issue and so on. Lot's of variables go into how a team plays from week to week. The good ones find a way to win regardless of those obstacles.

BTW -Did you see the Lions defensive line dominate the Broncos? They manhandled them. The Lions have a good defensive line and unit for the most part. So I'm not buying any of the Lions and Jets have bad defenses, well maybe the Jets defense isn't very good (and the Broncos aren't elite, but still a formidable team)... the Lions are 6-2, and IMO a good team, glad we beat them since the Packers are going to take the North.

And we are a 5-3 team ... just above average, almost in the "good" category. We need to try not to imitate the Pats; and do what we do best ... we can't just lob up 50 yard bombs and have Randy Moss jump ball catch every one, likewise we don't have a slot receiver that can make the tough catches like Welker, and an O-Line that does not give up any sacks or pressures.

We have 2 good RB's and average WR's ... a patched O-Line, and a good (not great) defense. We are what we are, 5-3. I'm not making any excuses for anyone or anything, I just think trying to replicate other teams success is not the way to find our own winning formula.

There's a difference between knowing what this team needs to do to win, but wanting them to win in a different fashion. The ultimate goal should be to win, regardless of either. I hear what you are saying though.

Where you could really see that the smash mouth approach is not going to work was the last drive we had in regulation. We ran six straight run plays. The first three I was okay with b/c we started inside our own 10 yard line....but after the first down!!! Come On!!!!! Every one and there brother was screaming for a pass play......we could have put the game away right there but instead we run the stupid ball when we could have had an easy pass play!!!

You nailed it on the head. When they absolutely HAD to get a first down, they couldn't. It nearly cost them the game. That's one big difference between this team and the old 80's teams.

:applause: I feel ya brother! If we get to 6-3 next week, I don't care how we win, as long as we win!

We would have blown the Jets out if we didn't allow that opening kickoff TD. I'm not worried. Our D allowed 10 points. We shold shut down Philly next week, barring any stupid penalties (althoough the Landry penalty was AWESOME!!!!, and special teams TD's)

Surely you're joking about Landry's penalty being "AWESOME"? It was brainless and will probably draw a fine. It kept a drive alive on 3rd down and eventually led to a field goal. Awesome. Yeah. That's exactly the kind of awesome play that has kept this team down for 15 years.

Wake up ... the Skins are the worst 5-3 team in the NFL ... the soft part of schedule is done ... I do not see them winning any more games this year. I would love to eat crow, but I don't think I will have to.

Of course you won't. It's like Sean Salisbury walking naked to Boston comment. When we win you'll just fade into the background and pretend it never happened.

Archived