Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - After Rout, Trying To Hash Things Out

HapHaszard

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/31/AR2007103103014.html

click on the link

The first few days after the blowout were solemn ones for the Redskins. Losing 52-7 has a way of doing that to a team. So there were a few more meetings than usual, more discussions between players and coaches and, as quarterback Jason Campbell said, "a recommitment."

It started Monday with the usual team address Coach Joe Gibbs makes in the auditorium at Redskins Park, when the coach reminded the players that the game was just one of 16 in a long season and that opportunity still lingered. On Tuesday and yesterday, players and coaches spent more time in groups talking about their goals and where things may have gone wrong.

"It's not a big deal, it happens three to four times a year," one veteran, who requested anonymity, said yesterday. "It wasn't any kind of turning-point situation."

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/31/AR2007103103014.html

click on the link

The first few days after the blowout were solemn ones for the Redskins. Losing 52-7 has a way of doing that to a team. So there were a few more meetings than usual, more discussions between players and coaches and, as quarterback Jason Campbell said, "a recommitment."

It started Monday with the usual team address Coach Joe Gibbs makes in the auditorium at Redskins Park, when the coach reminded the players that the game was just one of 16 in a long season and that opportunity still lingered. On Tuesday and yesterday, players and coaches spent more time in groups talking about their goals and where things may have gone wrong.

"It's not a big deal, it happens three to four times a year," one veteran, who requested anonymity, said yesterday. "It wasn't any kind of turning-point situation."

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

I'll tell you what I learned about our football team in the New England drubbing. I learned that, when an offense merely takes what our soft zone gives them, they can take a helluva lot -- and I saw that before Rogers went down for the season.

No, we won't face another offense like the Patriots, but OCs learned that they don't have to get fancy to have success against our zones. Take the underneath stuff. The slot over the middle (Welker) was there all day.

I'll tell you what I learned about our football team in the New England drubbing. I learned that, when an offense merely takes what our soft zone gives them, they can take a helluva lot -- and I saw that before Rogers went down for the season.

No, we won't face another offense like the Patriots, but OCs learned that they don't have to get fancy to have success against our zones. Take the underneath stuff. The slot over the middle (Welker) was there all day.

Well, you also have to have really good protection for your QB.I think only Indy and NE have a combination of QB protection and QB precision that could pick it apart. Honestly, I still don't understand why you wouldn't blitz a safety, cb, or LB every once in a while.

No pressure is important. The disturbing thing is that everyone knows that already, this is no eureka moment. Here is the formula:

Soft Zone+Accurate QB+No QB Pressure=Clock Eating TD's

Well, you also have to have really good protection for your QB.I think only Indy and NE have a combination of QB protection and QB precision that could pick it apart. Honestly, I still don't understand why you wouldn't blitz a safety, cb, or LB every once in a while.

No pressure is important. The disturbing thing is that everyone knows that already, this is no eureka moment. Here is the formula:

Soft Zone+Accurate QB+No QB Pressure=Clock Eating TD's

What I dont understand is why Williams can't mix it up depending on what the offense shows. It seems like its either all blitz, all the time or cover 2 zone all the time. I would like to think that this defense has the personnel to make these calls and adjustments on the fly like other defenses do.

What I dont understand is why Williams can't mix it up depending on what the offense shows. It seems like its either all blitz, all the time or cover 2 zone all the time. I would like to think that this defense has the personnel to make these calls and adjustments on the fly like other defenses do.

I can see why that player requested anonymity. If he doesn't think the NE loss was a big deal and he expects this sort of thing 3-4 times a year, then he doesn't belong on this team.

:(

I can see why that player requested anonymity. If he doesn't think the NE loss was a big deal and he expects this sort of thing 3-4 times a year, then he doesn't belong on this team.

We'll see. I think the players AND the coaches feel they have something to prove.

They certainly do I believe they are not as bad as they look against the Pats but they are not as good as they may think. It's hard to get a real handle on this team . I do think they are decent but certainly have flaws but then again who doesn't in the NFC?.

We'll see. I think the players AND the coaches feel they have something to prove.

They certainly do I believe they are not as bad as they look against the Pats but they are not as good as they may think. It's hard to get a real handle on this team . I do think they are decent but certainly have flaws but then again who doesn't in the NFC?.

More than any other quote in the article, this disturbed the hell out of me. To say "It's not a big deal, it happens three to four times a year," one veteran, who requested anonymity, said yesterday. " It wasn't any kind of turning-point situation." shows how little heart and pride some of the players on this team have.

Just DEPRESSING!:doh:

More than any other quote in the article, this disturbed the hell out of me. To say "It's not a big deal, it happens three to four times a year," one veteran, who requested anonymity, said yesterday. " It wasn't any kind of turning-point situation." shows how little heart and pride some of the players on this team have.

Just DEPRESSING!:doh:

I think he's referring to the players and coaches getting together to discuss things. Not that a 52-7 spanking occurs 3-4 times per year and isnt a big deal.

Archived