Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

British Army tests James Bond style tank that is 'invisible'

JMS

DisappearTankLL_468x182.jpg

Army tests James Bond style tank that is 'invisible'

New technology that can make tanks invisible has been unveiled by the Ministry of Defence.

In secret trials last week, the Army said it had made a vehicle completely disappear and predicted that an invisible tank would be ready for service by 2012.

The new technology uses cameras and projectors to beam images of the surrounding landscape onto a tank.

The result is that anyone looking in the direction of the vehicle only sees what is beyond it and not the tank itself.

A soldier, who was at the trials, said: "This technology is incredible. If I hadn't been present I wouldn't have believed it. I looked across the fields and just saw grass and trees - but in reality I was staring down the barrel of a tank gun."

How the technology works in a combat situation is very sensitive, but the MoD is believed to be testing a military jacket that works on the same principles.

It is the type of innovation normally associated with James Bond, and the brains behind the latest technology is the MoD's very own "Q" - Professor Sir John Pendry, of Imperial College London.

He said the only drawback was the reliability of the cameras and projectors. But he added: "The next stage is to make the tank invisible without them - which is intricate and complicated, but possible."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=490669&in_page_id=1811

DisappearTankLL_468x182.jpg

Army tests James Bond style tank that is 'invisible'

New technology that can make tanks invisible has been unveiled by the Ministry of Defence.

In secret trials last week, the Army said it had made a vehicle completely disappear and predicted that an invisible tank would be ready for service by 2012.

The new technology uses cameras and projectors to beam images of the surrounding landscape onto a tank.

The result is that anyone looking in the direction of the vehicle only sees what is beyond it and not the tank itself.

A soldier, who was at the trials, said: "This technology is incredible. If I hadn't been present I wouldn't have believed it. I looked across the fields and just saw grass and trees - but in reality I was staring down the barrel of a tank gun."

How the technology works in a combat situation is very sensitive, but the MoD is believed to be testing a military jacket that works on the same principles.

It is the type of innovation normally associated with James Bond, and the brains behind the latest technology is the MoD's very own "Q" - Professor Sir John Pendry, of Imperial College London.

He said the only drawback was the reliability of the cameras and projectors. But he added: "The next stage is to make the tank invisible without them - which is intricate and complicated, but possible."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=490669&in_page_id=1811

That sounds really cool -- I shouldn't be surprised. New things every day.

I wonder if they've come up with something to deal with the thermal signature as well?

Still, that'd significantly reduce a tank's sillouette -- especially in the defense (where you can mitigate the thermal signature a bit better with hull and turrent down positions).

Good find, JMS.

I wonder if they've come up with something to deal with the thermal signature as well?

Still, that'd significantly reduce a tank's sillouette -- especially in the defense (where you can mitigate the thermal signature a bit better with hull and turrent down positions).

Good find, JMS.

Exactly. Nor the rumble of a couple of diesel engines large enough to move a vehicle that size.

Cool technology, but certainly not infalable for lots of reasons.

So no heat signature either ?

**** the tank - did you not read that they are working on a jacket? You can probably hide the heat signature of a person if you can make him invisible.

Exactly. Nor the rumble of a couple of diesel engines large enough to move a vehicle that size.

Cool technology, but certainly not infalable for lots of reasons.

So no heat signature either ?

**** the tank - did you not read that they are working on a jacket? You can probably hide the heat signature of a person if you can make him invisible.

Good find, JMS.

Says in the article the Brits are testing uniforms for foot soldiers too. How long will it be until we figure out a way to put those projectors on a Raptor.... invisible to radar and you can't see it eather.

I remember a few years back reading the Japanese had a cloth made out of a material which could project images and make the wearer invisible. Solid state.

Invisibility cloak.... It gets alot scarier... Check this out...

A professor at the University of Tokyo has developed an optical camouflage system that makes a special reflective material seemingly disappear, including the wearer! The picture on the coat is made by a viewfinder which puts together the moving images behind the wearer. It's hoped the technology will be useful for surgeons to be able to see through their hands and tools and also for pilots so the ****pit floor will be transparent for landings.

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2004/05/japanese-scientist-invents-invisibility-cloak.php

Good find, JMS.

Says in the article the Brits are testing uniforms for foot soldiers too. How long will it be until we figure out a way to put those projectors on a Raptor.... invisible to radar and you can't see it eather.

I remember a few years back reading the Japanese had a cloth made out of a material which could project images and make the wearer invisible. Solid state.

Invisibility cloak.... It gets alot scarier... Check this out...

A professor at the University of Tokyo has developed an optical camouflage system that makes a special reflective material seemingly disappear, including the wearer! The picture on the coat is made by a viewfinder which puts together the moving images behind the wearer. It's hoped the technology will be useful for surgeons to be able to see through their hands and tools and also for pilots so the ****pit floor will be transparent for landings.

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2004/05/japanese-scientist-invents-invisibility-cloak.php

And of course, every little bit helps :)

I'd be really interested to see where this technology is (if it is not presently gimicky), in another decade or so. If they can start doing this without cameras and projectors -- wow.

This could become really interesting with the FCS and FCS-like network-centric light vehicles our Army is currently designing. They've been talking for years about -- if we could just reduce the overall signature -- we don't need 70 tons of armor to keep the crew safe, yadda yadda. The way we collaborated with the Brits on Chobham, I wouldn't be surprised to see similar technology in the FCS vehicles (if that is still on track).

And of course, every little bit helps :)

I'd be really interested to see where this technology is (if it is not presently gimicky), in another decade or so. If they can start doing this without cameras and projectors -- wow.

This could become really interesting with the FCS and FCS-like network-centric light vehicles our Army is currently designing. They've been talking for years about -- if we could just reduce the overall signature -- we don't need 70 tons of armor to keep the crew safe, yadda yadda. The way we collaborated with the Brits on Chobham, I wouldn't be surprised to see similar technology in the FCS vehicles (if that is still on track).

I saw that in Predator. All he needed was some mud. :laugh:

Not to mention WE will end up paying another 50 Billion to get this even started, and there are still starving children in the U.S.

I saw that in Predator. All he needed was some mud. :laugh:

Not to mention WE will end up paying another 50 Billion to get this even started, and there are still starving children in the U.S.

I remember reading an article some years ago that the U.S. government is working on the same sort of technology for some vehicles. My recollection is that it used an intricate set of mirrors. I don't think there were cameras or projectors involved in our case.

Nevertheless, it sounds as though the Brits are nearing being able to actually implement this. Cool indeed.

I remember reading an article some years ago that the U.S. government is working on the same sort of technology for some vehicles. My recollection is that it used an intricate set of mirrors. I don't think there were cameras or projectors involved in our case.

Nevertheless, it sounds as though the Brits are nearing being able to actually implement this. Cool indeed.

Did you check out that YouTube video of the japaneese technology... comercially availible.. solid state...

If you can't see my link... google.. on japanese invisibility cloak... go to the youtube link..

look at the guys hands. Look at the guys tie. the images aren't projected onto the material but are reflected from the material in real time.

Did you check out that YouTube video of the japaneese technology... comercially availible.. solid state...

If you can't see my link... google.. on japanese invisibility cloak... go to the youtube link..

look at the guys hands. Look at the guys tie. the images aren't projected onto the material but are reflected from the material in real time.

Archived