Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Set the record straight.

Jethrodsp

There are a couple points that I want to address.

1.Jason Campbell

--Campbell is right where he should be in his development. His pace thus far is gonna have him with just about the same amount of interceptions as touchdowns by the end of the year. Of the top 4 quarterbacks in the league (Manning, Brady, Palmer, Favre are my top 4), all four experienced this in their first years as starting quarterbacks. In order to be in the same breath as them one day, Campbell needs to take a major step forward next season but in his first full season as a starting QB his progress is what a rational oberver might expect. For me, people who are suggesting that he cant play in this league or that the Redskins should be QB shopping this offseason are out of line. Its this type of knee-jerk reaction that sunk the Redskins into mediocrity over the last decade or so in the first place.

2.Coach Gibbs

--I do not think Joe Gibbs walks on water. I think that he has struggled to adapt to an NFL the is faster and more intricate than it was when he left in 1993. That being said, I think the job he has done is admirable considering the mess left to him. Fact is though, that the Redskins are not where he would have hoped by the middle of year 4. They could be a playoff team but certainly dont seem close at this point to a super bowl title especially considering the firepower in the AFC. It would be in the best intrests of the Redskins to be seriously evaluating head coaching candidates right now because, barring a storied run to the Super Bowl, it is in the Redskins best intrests for Gibbs to step away from the head coaching position at the end of the season. I think the players are slowly beginning to tune Gibbs out mostly because of his delegation of major in-game operations but partly because of his age and demeanor. That being said, anyone would be hard pressed to find a better role model in the NFL than Joe Jackson Gibbs, and he is still a top 5 coach of all time no matter who you think is #1. Some of the negativity thrown coach's way on this message board may be justified in a sense, but is out of line when you consider that this franchise wouldn't be half of what it is now without Gibbs. You dont have to like the way he coaches games now, I dont most of the time, but you do have to show Gibbs the respect he deserves if you call yourself a Redskins fan.

3.Clinton Portis

--CP had a lot of pressure on his shoulders when he came to Washington. He hasnt lived up to the level that he played at in Denver but really, who does? Fact is, Portis was and still is handicapped in the comparisons to Champ Bailey because even the slightest drop-off in numbers is so much more quantifiable. I like CP because of the way he brings it on Sundays. The man plays hurt all the time (as many RBs do) and still throws his body around like a rag doll. The line isnt what it should be and Portis' numbers are suffering but the effort is there. Perhaps it is time to get Betts back in regular rotation and maybe even give Clint a week off to heal up a bit but at a time when the Redskins offensive line has been decimated by injuries, Portis' blocking has become his most valuable asset.

4.The Team in General

--The Redskins are 4-3. That is how good they are. With a young QB, a beat up offensive line and a very good defense they have a chance to make a playoff run but Im not expecting much more. They are neither as good as their thrashing of the Lions nor as bad as their thrashing by the Patriots. I think there are enough proud veterans on this team to get the collective mindset back where is needs to be to win some more football games but the bottom line is there are players that just need to step up and make plays. Wide recievers need to get seperation. Back up linemen need to win at the line of scrimmage. Coaches need to find a way to generate some sort of second half offense and move the chains. Critical division games loom in the second half of the season and we play in the toughest division in football. Gut check right now. Handle the Jets this week and your half way to 10-6...quite good considering the circumstances if you ask me.

That's my :2cents: .

Hail Skins.

There are a couple points that I want to address.

1.Jason Campbell

--Campbell is right where he should be in his development. His pace thus far is gonna have him with just about the same amount of interceptions as touchdowns by the end of the year. Of the top 4 quarterbacks in the league (Manning, Brady, Palmer, Favre are my top 4), all four experienced this in their first years as starting quarterbacks. In order to be in the same breath as them one day, Campbell needs to take a major step forward next season but in his first full season as a starting QB his progress is what a rational oberver might expect. For me, people who are suggesting that he cant play in this league or that the Redskins should be QB shopping this offseason are out of line. Its this type of knee-jerk reaction that sunk the Redskins into mediocrity over the last decade or so in the first place.

2.Coach Gibbs

--I do not think Joe Gibbs walks on water. I think that he has struggled to adapt to an NFL the is faster and more intricate than it was when he left in 1993. That being said, I think the job he has done is admirable considering the mess left to him. Fact is though, that the Redskins are not where he would have hoped by the middle of year 4. They could be a playoff team but certainly dont seem close at this point to a super bowl title especially considering the firepower in the AFC. It would be in the best intrests of the Redskins to be seriously evaluating head coaching candidates right now because, barring a storied run to the Super Bowl, it is in the Redskins best intrests for Gibbs to step away from the head coaching position at the end of the season. I think the players are slowly beginning to tune Gibbs out mostly because of his delegation of major in-game operations but partly because of his age and demeanor. That being said, anyone would be hard pressed to find a better role model in the NFL than Joe Jackson Gibbs, and he is still a top 5 coach of all time no matter who you think is #1. Some of the negativity thrown coach's way on this message board may be justified in a sense, but is out of line when you consider that this franchise wouldn't be half of what it is now without Gibbs. You dont have to like the way he coaches games now, I dont most of the time, but you do have to show Gibbs the respect he deserves if you call yourself a Redskins fan.

3.Clinton Portis

--CP had a lot of pressure on his shoulders when he came to Washington. He hasnt lived up to the level that he played at in Denver but really, who does? Fact is, Portis was and still is handicapped in the comparisons to Champ Bailey because even the slightest drop-off in numbers is so much more quantifiable. I like CP because of the way he brings it on Sundays. The man plays hurt all the time (as many RBs do) and still throws his body around like a rag doll. The line isnt what it should be and Portis' numbers are suffering but the effort is there. Perhaps it is time to get Betts back in regular rotation and maybe even give Clint a week off to heal up a bit but at a time when the Redskins offensive line has been decimated by injuries, Portis' blocking has become his most valuable asset.

4.The Team in General

--The Redskins are 4-3. That is how good they are. With a young QB, a beat up offensive line and a very good defense they have a chance to make a playoff run but Im not expecting much more. They are neither as good as their thrashing of the Lions nor as bad as their thrashing by the Patriots. I think there are enough proud veterans on this team to get the collective mindset back where is needs to be to win some more football games but the bottom line is there are players that just need to step up and make plays. Wide recievers need to get seperation. Back up linemen need to win at the line of scrimmage. Coaches need to find a way to generate some sort of second half offense and move the chains. Critical division games loom in the second half of the season and we play in the toughest division in football. Gut check right now. Handle the Jets this week and your half way to 10-6...quite good considering the circumstances if you ask me.

That's my :2cents: .

Hail Skins.

I think the biggest mistake Gibbs made was panicking and thinking he needed to bring in Saunders. He was setting a good course and suddenly changed direction. Like Vince said, football is just blocking and tackling.

I have a hard time believing bringing in Al Saunders was totally a Gibbs move, no matter what he says publically.

I think the biggest mistake Gibbs made was panicking and thinking he needed to bring in Saunders. He was setting a good course and suddenly changed direction. Like Vince said, football is just blocking and tackling.

I have a hard time believing bringing in Al Saunders was totally a Gibbs move, no matter what he says publically.

You made some good points...

I did think that bringing in Saunders did set Gibbs back. Gibbs playcalling took him to the playoffs and was only stalled when folks started keyed in on Moss. All he had to do was bring in some solid 2nd and 3rd WRs (which he did) and keep it moving. But now I think Saunders offense is what this team needs for the future. If Gibbs did retire, it would set up nicely to crown GW as head coach....then he could just handle the defense and just tell Saunders to just GO!!!

I did think that bringing in Saunders did set Gibbs back. Gibbs playcalling took him to the playoffs and was only stalled when folks started keyed in on Moss. All he had to do was bring in some solid 2nd and 3rd WRs (which he did) and keep it moving. But now I think Saunders offense is what this team needs for the future. If Gibbs did retire, it would set up nicely to crown GW as head coach....then he could just handle the defense and just tell Saunders to just GO!!!

Despite their horrible showings in the middle of 2005 and the playoffs, I blamed it on the players rather than the coaching. In fact, the five game stretch where they committed to the run and pulled off a miraculous streak was something I truly appreciated.

In my mind, the only thing the Redskins needed in their starting lineups was a #2 receiver and a pass-rushing defensive end.

But with the horrible defense we had last year, it's probably better we have Saunders to blame, haha.

Despite their horrible showings in the middle of 2005 and the playoffs, I blamed it on the players rather than the coaching. In fact, the five game stretch where they committed to the run and pulled off a miraculous streak was something I truly appreciated.

In my mind, the only thing the Redskins needed in their starting lineups was a #2 receiver and a pass-rushing defensive end.

But with the horrible defense we had last year, it's probably better we have Saunders to blame, haha.

Very good post. I must admit, I'm disappointed in what we got in Gibbs since the expectations were so high, but he's been better then anyone else we've had the past 15 years and he's turned a mess of a team into a possible contender.

As for Campbell, I agree for the most part. The only thing that worries me is that this is Campbell's third year. He's young obviously, and is still learning considering gametime experience is something you can only get by repetitions. But I think that since this is his third official year in the league, I'd hope to see more numbers. Ultimately though, you're right. To be honest, I've been impressed with Campbell except for the Patriot game.

Very good post. I must admit, I'm disappointed in what we got in Gibbs since the expectations were so high, but he's been better then anyone else we've had the past 15 years and he's turned a mess of a team into a possible contender.

As for Campbell, I agree for the most part. The only thing that worries me is that this is Campbell's third year. He's young obviously, and is still learning considering gametime experience is something you can only get by repetitions. But I think that since this is his third official year in the league, I'd hope to see more numbers. Ultimately though, you're right. To be honest, I've been impressed with Campbell except for the Patriot game.

Spot on, I agree completely with the entire post, especially the part about Gibbs. It's not so much that I want to run him out of town. It's that I realize it almost certainly ain't gonna happen in the time he's got left, not with the amount of work still to be done. Excellent post, I appreciated it very much.

Archived