Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rebuilding the Redskins: Step 1 - the OL

GrimReefa

Obviously, the Patriots dominated the Redskins last week in every facet of the game, but to me, the most obvious difference between the two teams was the amount of time Tom Brady got to spend in the pocket vs. the amount of time Campbell got.

It wasn't even close. Every time Campbell took his drop, he immediately had some Patriots' linebacker in his face, trying to knock the ball away. The complaints following the loss about Campbell's performance were ridiculous. If someone comes and hits the ball while it's in your hand, you are going to fumble, no matter who you are. Want proof? Tom Brady did the exact same thing. The difference was, the Redskins only knocked the ball away from Brady once. The Patriots were swatting at the ball in Campbell's hand all game long.

Brady had time to go through his reads every snap, and it made a huge difference. Randy Moss (47 yards) and Dante Stallworth (44) did not have big days. It was the fact that Brady was able to check down to Wes Welker (89 yards) and Kevin Faulk (57) and Jabar Gaffney (39) and Laurence Maroney (37) that kept the Pats moving. The Patriots were moving the ball 10 yards at a time, and they were doing so because the offensive line was keeping any semblance of a pass rush well away from the QB.

So, if you want an offense that can be that dominant, the first step has to be building an offensive line, and this needs to be the Redskins biggest priority the next two offseasons. Entering the season, all 5 O-line starters were 30 or older. Can we really be suprised that injuries have hit the line hard - again? The Jansen and Thomas injuries are becoming an annual event. And guess what...according to this chart on thehogs.net, both of those two players' cap hit more than doubles next season. Restructuring so the team can keep two starters who are no longer able to stay on the field is not the option a championship-caliber franchise makes. They have to be let go, and two day one draft picks must take their place.

I don't say this as somebody with an irrational hatred for Jansen and Thomas. I like those guys as much as anybody. They embody Gibbs' "true Redskins" - guys with pride in the uniform they wear, emotional leaders, and great players when they are on thie field.

Key phrase - "when they are on the field".

The Patriots had a guy like that. A linebacker who won all three rings. An emotional leader, to be sure. Really, the heart of the defense, and a fan favorite to boot. I'd call him the Jon Jansen of the Patriots. His name is Willie McGinest, and he is currently wrapping up his career in Cleveland.

This offseason, the Redskins need to look througout college football and find two fellows who have the traits that would make them "true Redskins". They need to find them, and make them the starters on the right side of the line. Next offseason, they need to do the same thing with the left side - and yes, this includes replacing Samuels. One of those two years, they need to grab a center, as well. The entire starting line should be 25 and under by 2009, if the Redskins want to win a Super Bowl any time soon. Get a solid group of 5 guys together, and have them grow and learn with each other, and you will have a championship caliber line in short order, which is the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in a successful offense. Remember, it was our offensive line that turned Joe Theisman, Mark Rypien, and Doug Williams into championship quarterbacks.

It is no coincidence - NO coincidence - that the two best QBs in football are protected by the two best offensive lines in football.

Next step, the defense.

Obviously, the Patriots dominated the Redskins last week in every facet of the game, but to me, the most obvious difference between the two teams was the amount of time Tom Brady got to spend in the pocket vs. the amount of time Campbell got.

It wasn't even close. Every time Campbell took his drop, he immediately had some Patriots' linebacker in his face, trying to knock the ball away. The complaints following the loss about Campbell's performance were ridiculous. If someone comes and hits the ball while it's in your hand, you are going to fumble, no matter who you are. Want proof? Tom Brady did the exact same thing. The difference was, the Redskins only knocked the ball away from Brady once. The Patriots were swatting at the ball in Campbell's hand all game long.

Brady had time to go through his reads every snap, and it made a huge difference. Randy Moss (47 yards) and Dante Stallworth (44) did not have big days. It was the fact that Brady was able to check down to Wes Welker (89 yards) and Kevin Faulk (57) and Jabar Gaffney (39) and Laurence Maroney (37) that kept the Pats moving. The Patriots were moving the ball 10 yards at a time, and they were doing so because the offensive line was keeping any semblance of a pass rush well away from the QB.

So, if you want an offense that can be that dominant, the first step has to be building an offensive line, and this needs to be the Redskins biggest priority the next two offseasons. Entering the season, all 5 O-line starters were 30 or older. Can we really be suprised that injuries have hit the line hard - again? The Jansen and Thomas injuries are becoming an annual event. And guess what...according to this chart on thehogs.net, both of those two players' cap hit more than doubles next season. Restructuring so the team can keep two starters who are no longer able to stay on the field is not the option a championship-caliber franchise makes. They have to be let go, and two day one draft picks must take their place.

I don't say this as somebody with an irrational hatred for Jansen and Thomas. I like those guys as much as anybody. They embody Gibbs' "true Redskins" - guys with pride in the uniform they wear, emotional leaders, and great players when they are on thie field.

Key phrase - "when they are on the field".

The Patriots had a guy like that. A linebacker who won all three rings. An emotional leader, to be sure. Really, the heart of the defense, and a fan favorite to boot. I'd call him the Jon Jansen of the Patriots. His name is Willie McGinest, and he is currently wrapping up his career in Cleveland.

This offseason, the Redskins need to look througout college football and find two fellows who have the traits that would make them "true Redskins". They need to find them, and make them the starters on the right side of the line. Next offseason, they need to do the same thing with the left side - and yes, this includes replacing Samuels. One of those two years, they need to grab a center, as well. The entire starting line should be 25 and under by 2009, if the Redskins want to win a Super Bowl any time soon. Get a solid group of 5 guys together, and have them grow and learn with each other, and you will have a championship caliber line in short order, which is the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in a successful offense. Remember, it was our offensive line that turned Joe Theisman, Mark Rypien, and Doug Williams into championship quarterbacks.

It is no coincidence - NO coincidence - that the two best QBs in football are protected by the two best offensive lines in football.

Next step, the defense.

What is hurting this team is what was predicted could kill their season and that is the OL depth. Trying to convert career tackles into guards is not a wise move and the lack of players behind the starters is showing badly.

By the way, I never understood a youth movement. Everybody under 25 by 09? Kind of crazy IMO. I would trade for production over potential 9 out of 10 times.

What is hurting this team is what was predicted could kill their season and that is the OL depth. Trying to convert career tackles into guards is not a wise move and the lack of players behind the starters is showing badly.

By the way, I never understood a youth movement. Everybody under 25 by 09? Kind of crazy IMO. I would trade for production over potential 9 out of 10 times.

You have just described everything that has been wrong about this organization for the last 8 years.

You have just described everything that has been wrong about this organization for the last 8 years.

No, actually they never even picked up production. By the time they had got their hands on some of these players they were coming off of continous declining years. You can argue that they never really picked up anybody coming off of a career year.

No, actually they never even picked up production. By the time they had got their hands on some of these players they were coming off of continous declining years. You can argue that they never really picked up anybody coming off of a career year.

I agree we need to revamp the OL, but i don't think eevryone under 25 by 09' will work. We need do have a nice trasition.

Samuels is only 30 and has another 4-5 years so he shoudl be here the longest.

Jansen should be the first one out the door.

Thomas, Is getting up their and age and his injury is a concern. Will he be the same. But I think we could get another year or two out of him.

We should be thinking RT and C first.

Then Maybe RG, then LG

I agree we need to revamp the OL, but i don't think eevryone under 25 by 09' will work. We need do have a nice trasition.

Samuels is only 30 and has another 4-5 years so he shoudl be here the longest.

Jansen should be the first one out the door.

Thomas, Is getting up their and age and his injury is a concern. Will he be the same. But I think we could get another year or two out of him.

We should be thinking RT and C first.

Then Maybe RG, then LG

What a gay response

What a gay response

trading for production is what got the skins into this mess in the first place

trading for production is what got the skins into this mess in the first place

the more time an o line has to play together, the better they get. An o line of above average athletes who have played together for 3-5 years is going to be better than an o line made of the best of the best who haven't played a season together. I think that would be the drive to get the younger players in there. But then, the front office would also have to remember they need to keep them there.

the more time an o line has to play together, the better they get. An o line of above average athletes who have played together for 3-5 years is going to be better than an o line made of the best of the best who haven't played a season together. I think that would be the drive to get the younger players in there. But then, the front office would also have to remember they need to keep them there.

:applause:

I agree just look at those Denver Broncos OL's . Outside of nalen no one else ever got any PUb. They just gelled together. We need to replace teh older guys, but not everyone all at once within two years. It should be a steady process.

But defanately start at RT.

Archived