Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk X's and O's: Gameplan VS Patriots

SkinSabbath

I want to see some X's and O's talk in this thread, so here's my attempt and gameplanning for the PATS this week. How would YOU try and pick apart the Patriots?

HOW TO ATTACK THE PATRIOTS OFFENSE:

Gregg Williams is the master of complex blitzing schemes. The only way we can stop Tom Brady is to drop into creative zones and bring rushers from all positions. Here's an example of how to pressure (and SACK) Brady with SS LaRon Landry:

VIDEO:

4-3 Cover 3 SS Blitz

i1301016_SSblitz.png

HOW TO ATTACK THE PATRIOTS DEFENSE

RUN

The PATS have an incredible linebacker corps. They are smart veterans who pose a huge threat to our running game. In order to counter this, I propose we run the ball out of multiple receiver sets, forcing the PATS to add extra DBs and keep their LBs off the field:

VIDEO:

I-Form 3WR HB Smash

i1301015_RunIform.png

PASS

The play action will open up the middle of the field for us. By using a set of routes which test the middle of the field AND the sidelines, Campbell will be able to read the Safeties and make deep completions:

VIDEO:

Singleback Trips Left PA Slants

i1301014_PAPass.png

I want to see some X's and O's talk in this thread, so here's my attempt and gameplanning for the PATS this week. How would YOU try and pick apart the Patriots?

HOW TO ATTACK THE PATRIOTS OFFENSE:

Gregg Williams is the master of complex blitzing schemes. The only way we can stop Tom Brady is to drop into creative zones and bring rushers from all positions. Here's an example of how to pressure (and SACK) Brady with SS LaRon Landry:

VIDEO:

4-3 Cover 3 SS Blitz

i1301016_SSblitz.png

HOW TO ATTACK THE PATRIOTS DEFENSE

RUN

The PATS have an incredible linebacker corps. They are smart veterans who pose a huge threat to our running game. In order to counter this, I propose we run the ball out of multiple receiver sets, forcing the PATS to add extra DBs and keep their LBs off the field:

VIDEO:

I-Form 3WR HB Smash

i1301015_RunIform.png

PASS

The play action will open up the middle of the field for us. By using a set of routes which test the middle of the field AND the sidelines, Campbell will be able to read the Safeties and make deep completions:

VIDEO:

Singleback Trips Left PA Slants

i1301014_PAPass.png

I think the best way on defense to contain a team with as many weapons as the Pats do is to get preasure on Brady and force him make mistakes. In an ideal situation, the front 4 need to put enough pressure on brady to sit the other DB'd and LB's in coverage. I know everyone on this board wants to live and die by the blitz, however I think that the Pats are too good and have too many weapons for us to go after Brady on a regular basis. Blitzing leaves the the DB's in coverage vulnerable and with Welker/Stallworth/Moss & B. Watson, I think it would be dangerous to go after him often.

Because of the fact we a have super athletic defense that can tackle, it makes matchups favorable. I would like to see zone blitzes with MW or Rocky on occassion but I like the bend don't break Defense we have been playing all year.

My biggest concern for this game is going to be Wes Welker, he is probably the fastest slot receiver in the NFL and due to his size he is very hard to bring to the ground (meaning his is small & elusive). If you have noticed over the past 2-4 weeks, Welker has had HUGE games because teams are doubling Moss which leaves Welker with man on man coverage or soft zones. The one thing that the skins have that other teams in the NFL don't is Sean Taylor. If we win this game, which I think we can, Sean Taylor NEEDS to have a huge game and shut down Moss all day. He has the speed and athleticism to do so as we all witnessed when he played for the Vikings.

GO SKINS!!!

I think the best way on defense to contain a team with as many weapons as the Pats do is to get preasure on Brady and force him make mistakes. In an ideal situation, the front 4 need to put enough pressure on brady to sit the other DB'd and LB's in coverage. I know everyone on this board wants to live and die by the blitz, however I think that the Pats are too good and have too many weapons for us to go after Brady on a regular basis. Blitzing leaves the the DB's in coverage vulnerable and with Welker/Stallworth/Moss & B. Watson, I think it would be dangerous to go after him often.

Because of the fact we a have super athletic defense that can tackle, it makes matchups favorable. I would like to see zone blitzes with MW or Rocky on occassion but I like the bend don't break Defense we have been playing all year.

My biggest concern for this game is going to be Wes Welker, he is probably the fastest slot receiver in the NFL and due to his size he is very hard to bring to the ground (meaning his is small & elusive). If you have noticed over the past 2-4 weeks, Welker has had HUGE games because teams are doubling Moss which leaves Welker with man on man coverage or soft zones. The one thing that the skins have that other teams in the NFL don't is Sean Taylor. If we win this game, which I think we can, Sean Taylor NEEDS to have a huge game and shut down Moss all day. He has the speed and athleticism to do so as we all witnessed when he played for the Vikings.

GO SKINS!!!

It occurs to me that 4-3 cover 3 would create a mismatch and leave Welker and/or Stallworth in man coverage downfield. I don't doubt that it would protect the underneath patterns and minimize damage from screens and dump-off, but Brady can go deep to any of Moss/Stallworth/Welker, and leaving them in single man coverage doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm just starting to learn defensive coverage, but it seems to me that a 4-2-5 nickle package would be a better base defense to run against the Pats.

It occurs to me that 4-3 cover 3 would create a mismatch and leave Welker and/or Stallworth in man coverage downfield. I don't doubt that it would protect the underneath patterns and minimize damage from screens and dump-off, but Brady can go deep to any of Moss/Stallworth/Welker, and leaving them in single man coverage doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm just starting to learn defensive coverage, but it seems to me that a 4-2-5 nickle package would be a better base defense to run against the Pats.

We shouldn't be blitzing on any key downs. I wouldn't be against a blitz on first down here and there, but definitely not on 2nd or 3rd and short. They're a tough team to match up against, so I think we're going to have to rely on strong coverage and the linebackers keeping any dumpoffs and screens close to the LOS.

GO SKINS!!!

Since Taylor will be playing deep coverage all day, I expect that Landry and Prioleau will be getting assigned to Welker for most of the game. Thankfully they're both pretty good tacklers.

I agree about Moss, but what I hope will happen is that Taylor and/or Landry get a couple of good shots in on Moss early in the game. If you can knock Randy Moss off his game with some strong hits to the body it levels the playing field across the secondary.. and we need it.

We shouldn't be blitzing on any key downs. I wouldn't be against a blitz on first down here and there, but definitely not on 2nd or 3rd and short. They're a tough team to match up against, so I think we're going to have to rely on strong coverage and the linebackers keeping any dumpoffs and screens close to the LOS.

GO SKINS!!!

Since Taylor will be playing deep coverage all day, I expect that Landry and Prioleau will be getting assigned to Welker for most of the game. Thankfully they're both pretty good tacklers.

I agree about Moss, but what I hope will happen is that Taylor and/or Landry get a couple of good shots in on Moss early in the game. If you can knock Randy Moss off his game with some strong hits to the body it levels the playing field across the secondary.. and we need it.

That SS blitz play is one of my all time favorites in Madden. :laugh:

I don't think we'll see much blitzing this weekend, maybe a little. Primarily, we're going to play that Cover 2, force them to make the short throw and then gang tackle. All these 5 yard passes Welker keeps taking for 25 yards scores....that **** ain't happening against us.

Also, expect us to play 8 man coverages quite a bit, too, with Springs manned up with Welker in the slot and DLman dropping back to fill his spot in the Cover 2 zone.

That SS blitz play is one of my all time favorites in Madden. :laugh:

I don't think we'll see much blitzing this weekend, maybe a little. Primarily, we're going to play that Cover 2, force them to make the short throw and then gang tackle. All these 5 yard passes Welker keeps taking for 25 yards scores....that **** ain't happening against us.

Also, expect us to play 8 man coverages quite a bit, too, with Springs manned up with Welker in the slot and DLman dropping back to fill his spot in the Cover 2 zone.

I saw what that OL did to Jason Taylor. They kept tossing him around like a beach ball. ITs very simple, depending on how many WRs the pats put out, that's how many the skins will rush. Gregg williams will not give up any long plays. Look for the pats to run the ball more in this game and use play action. The skins will not blitz in this game.

I saw what that OL did to Jason Taylor. They kept tossing him around like a beach ball. ITs very simple, depending on how many WRs the pats put out, that's how many the skins will rush. Gregg williams will not give up any long plays. Look for the pats to run the ball more in this game and use play action. The skins will not blitz in this game.

I'm really anxious to see how our defense measures up against that high powered offense. If our offense can manage to put some points up, I KNOW we can beat the PATs. Win or lose, after this game, the league and everyone that pays attention to it will respect our D. There will not be any 35-45 point games against our D, you can stamp that. Mannn I wish we couldve had this game FedEx.

Archived