Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk X's and O's: Gameplan VS Patriots

SkinSabbath

I'm really anxious to see how our defense measures up against that high powered offense. If our offense can manage to put some points up, I KNOW we can beat the PATs. Win or lose, after this game, the league and everyone that pays attention to it will respect our D. There will not be any 35-45 point games against our D, you can stamp that. Mannn I wish we couldve had this game FedEx.

:laugh: At this thread. I was expecting to see some in depth analysis. Then I get clips to madden. :laugh: . I don't know, I just think its kind of funny. Is it just me?

Hey this thread has NOTHING to do with Madden.

Madden is just the best way by which I can design, test, and SHOW plays... it's way better than ACTUAL X's and O's in MSPAINT.

:laugh: At this thread. I was expecting to see some in depth analysis. Then I get clips to madden. :laugh: . I don't know, I just think its kind of funny. Is it just me?

Madden is just the best way by which I can design, test, and SHOW plays... it's way better than ACTUAL X's and O's in MSPAINT.

I gotcha dude. Im not hating on you. It just caught me off guard. I like your analysis. Its a lot easier to understand with you madden vids. Cool stuff man. :cheers:

I gotcha dude. Im not hating on you. It just caught me off guard. I like your analysis. Its a lot easier to understand with you madden vids. Cool stuff man. :cheers:

It occurs to me that 4-3 cover 3 would create a mismatch and leave Welker and/or Stallworth in man coverage downfield. I don't doubt that it would protect the underneath patterns and minimize damage from screens and dump-off, but Brady can go deep to any of Moss/Stallworth/Welker, and leaving them in single man coverage doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm just starting to learn defensive coverage, but it seems to me that a 4-2-5 nickle package would be a better base defense to run against the Pats.

The Man-to-Man mismatch would only occur in the Cover2, which is why I chose Cover3 defense with Fletcher and Taylor STRONG in the middle...

I looked at the nickel packages, and I agree they would help us match up better against the speed of their offense. But in a run or pass situation i chose to have a few more big guys up front... just in case they run the draw with Maroney.

It occurs to me that 4-3 cover 3 would create a mismatch and leave Welker and/or Stallworth in man coverage downfield. I don't doubt that it would protect the underneath patterns and minimize damage from screens and dump-off, but Brady can go deep to any of Moss/Stallworth/Welker, and leaving them in single man coverage doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm just starting to learn defensive coverage, but it seems to me that a 4-2-5 nickle package would be a better base defense to run against the Pats.

The Man-to-Man mismatch would only occur in the Cover2, which is why I chose Cover3 defense with Fletcher and Taylor STRONG in the middle...

I looked at the nickel packages, and I agree they would help us match up better against the speed of their offense. But in a run or pass situation i chose to have a few more big guys up front... just in case they run the draw with Maroney.

It's all good. I'm just a little sour because last time I made a thread like this it got moved to the MADDEN forum and nobody looked at it. :laugh:

It's all good. I'm just a little sour because last time I made a thread like this it got moved to the MADDEN forum and nobody looked at it. :laugh:

My thoughts are..... Put Sean Taylor and Springs on Randy Moss and shut him down!!!! I remember when Moss was with the Vikings and they shut him completely down in that game and he got so frustrated that he walked off the field before the game was over!!!!

I agree with the posters in this thread who are saying that the blitzes are not going to work against Brady. Man coverage and bump coverage might be our best option because we have the speed on defense to match up with the pats receivers. Make Brady hold on too long and then a late blitz or hopefully a sack from Carter. I have seen some throws from Brady that I think Taylor could pick that other safety's could not.

I think our defense can hold the Pats to three touchdowns.

The skins offense is really what bothers me. No rushing attack and a banged up O-line= not good.

My thoughts are..... Put Sean Taylor and Springs on Randy Moss and shut him down!!!! I remember when Moss was with the Vikings and they shut him completely down in that game and he got so frustrated that he walked off the field before the game was over!!!!

I agree with the posters in this thread who are saying that the blitzes are not going to work against Brady. Man coverage and bump coverage might be our best option because we have the speed on defense to match up with the pats receivers. Make Brady hold on too long and then a late blitz or hopefully a sack from Carter. I have seen some throws from Brady that I think Taylor could pick that other safety's could not.

I think our defense can hold the Pats to three touchdowns.

The skins offense is really what bothers me. No rushing attack and a banged up O-line= not good.

the best defense is a offense that can run the ball, if we can keep the ball away from brady than they cant run up the score or wear down the defense. Greg Williams will shut down that passing attack forcing them to run the ball and Al Saunders will run the ball keeping the clock moving taking shots downfield, we need to convert 3rd downs and make big plays down the field

the best defense is a offense that can run the ball, if we can keep the ball away from brady than they cant run up the score or wear down the defense. Greg Williams will shut down that passing attack forcing them to run the ball and Al Saunders will run the ball keeping the clock moving taking shots downfield, we need to convert 3rd downs and make big plays down the field

Finally a thread on this board that actually is willing to talk about football. Here is my take on how to stop the Pats..not that I think it would work ;)

I think the first thing is you CANNOT do any one thing. I think you have to constantly mix up your coverages if you have any chance to slow down this offense, and I mean every play.

1. Among the coverages I would use is one the Pats used very successfully against the Colts in 2003-4. The Pats throw the ball short quite a bit. I would play my CBs in tight man to man coverage...in the short zones, then they would pass the WRs over to the Ss over the top. After about 12 yds they can pass them over and then fall off to look for screens and balls to the RBs. It would also allow them to play physically against the WRs.

The weakness of this type of defense is the deep middle, however the Pats TE Ben Watson isn't playing this week so this threat becomes diminished.

2. Playing a tough cover 2 zone with the CB very physical on the WRs and trying to funnell everything into the middle of the field and then getting big hits on the receivers. The Pats did this very successfully against the Rams in 2001, concentrating on the slants and incuts that the Rams were very successful at.

3. DO NOT BLITZ - you have to create pressure on Brady with your front 4, though you will have to commit a 5th guy every now an again, expecially when the Pats spread you out. If done judiciously (10-20% of the time), it could be effective. Using anything more than that would prove disasterous

4. Contrary to some of the post here, you DO NOT want Sean Taylor going one on one with ANYONE. He is a SAFETY, not a CB, he would get eaten up going one of one with most NFL WRs let alone the ones the Pats have. You want Taylor and Landry playing center field. You want them hitting receivers, protecting CBs, and jumping routes over the middle for potentially big plays.

5. You aren't going to stop this offense, but you must try and slow it down, especially in the red zone. You must try and force FGs where they have usually been making TDs.

On the other side of the ball.

For years, the slashing style of Portis has been much more effective against the Pats run defense than the so called big power runners like Bettis and Lewis. The Pats defense normally very strong on the DL, but without Seymour its been slightly more vunerable to runs on the edges. You want to stretch the defense by running paralell then, by design, make cut backs just outside the OTs between the Pats DE and OLB.

BTW the Pats have been a lot better at defending the run than the Redskins for instance. AND a lot of the rushing yardage that HAS been gained against them have come in garbage time when they are in prevent defenses. HOWEVER if I had to develop a running attack that is where I would start.

As to the Passing attack, I would use a lot of playaction. I would throw short control passes inorder to move the chains and keep the Pats offense off the field. I would throw a deep route about once a quarter to keep the Pats honest, but if were Joe Gibbs with a young QB facing a BB defense, I would be looking at how the Pats used Tom Brady back in 2001-2. You have 2 small quick WR just like the Pats did in those years with Brown and Patten, and then Branch, Brown and Patten in 2002-3. Used properly they can be very effective in controlling the ball and the clock.

All that being said however, I see the Pats slowly breaking down the Skins defense over the course of the game and their defense will force a minimum of 2 TOs on Campbell. (which doesn't thrill me since I might have to use him on one of my FF teams this week. ;) ). Landry was one of my top 2 players in the draft and nothing I've seen makes believe that he's still one of the top players in the draft. However, he hasn't seen a offense like the Pats possess this year, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him fooled a few times.

While Brady Moss, Stallworth and Welker have been the names everyone has been talking about, after this game the name every one will be talking about is going to be Lawrence Moroney. The Skins have been proven to be weak against the run, and given the adjustments that have to be made to contain our passing attack, the OL and Moroney will gash the pass rushing Skins DL.

I can see the game being fairly close for 2-3 quarters, however like the Dallas game, in the end the Pats will cover the spread and end up this game with kneel downs deep in Washington territory.

Finally a thread on this board that actually is willing to talk about football. Here is my take on how to stop the Pats..not that I think it would work ;)

I think the first thing is you CANNOT do any one thing. I think you have to constantly mix up your coverages if you have any chance to slow down this offense, and I mean every play.

1. Among the coverages I would use is one the Pats used very successfully against the Colts in 2003-4. The Pats throw the ball short quite a bit. I would play my CBs in tight man to man coverage...in the short zones, then they would pass the WRs over to the Ss over the top. After about 12 yds they can pass them over and then fall off to look for screens and balls to the RBs. It would also allow them to play physically against the WRs.

The weakness of this type of defense is the deep middle, however the Pats TE Ben Watson isn't playing this week so this threat becomes diminished.

2. Playing a tough cover 2 zone with the CB very physical on the WRs and trying to funnell everything into the middle of the field and then getting big hits on the receivers. The Pats did this very successfully against the Rams in 2001, concentrating on the slants and incuts that the Rams were very successful at.

3. DO NOT BLITZ - you have to create pressure on Brady with your front 4, though you will have to commit a 5th guy every now an again, expecially when the Pats spread you out. If done judiciously (10-20% of the time), it could be effective. Using anything more than that would prove disasterous

4. Contrary to some of the post here, you DO NOT want Sean Taylor going one on one with ANYONE. He is a SAFETY, not a CB, he would get eaten up going one of one with most NFL WRs let alone the ones the Pats have. You want Taylor and Landry playing center field. You want them hitting receivers, protecting CBs, and jumping routes over the middle for potentially big plays.

5. You aren't going to stop this offense, but you must try and slow it down, especially in the red zone. You must try and force FGs where they have usually been making TDs.

On the other side of the ball.

For years, the slashing style of Portis has been much more effective against the Pats run defense than the so called big power runners like Bettis and Lewis. The Pats defense normally very strong on the DL, but without Seymour its been slightly more vunerable to runs on the edges. You want to stretch the defense by running paralell then, by design, make cut backs just outside the OTs between the Pats DE and OLB.

BTW the Pats have been a lot better at defending the run than the Redskins for instance. AND a lot of the rushing yardage that HAS been gained against them have come in garbage time when they are in prevent defenses. HOWEVER if I had to develop a running attack that is where I would start.

As to the Passing attack, I would use a lot of playaction. I would throw short control passes inorder to move the chains and keep the Pats offense off the field. I would throw a deep route about once a quarter to keep the Pats honest, but if were Joe Gibbs with a young QB facing a BB defense, I would be looking at how the Pats used Tom Brady back in 2001-2. You have 2 small quick WR just like the Pats did in those years with Brown and Patten, and then Branch, Brown and Patten in 2002-3. Used properly they can be very effective in controlling the ball and the clock.

All that being said however, I see the Pats slowly breaking down the Skins defense over the course of the game and their defense will force a minimum of 2 TOs on Campbell. (which doesn't thrill me since I might have to use him on one of my FF teams this week. ;) ). Landry was one of my top 2 players in the draft and nothing I've seen makes believe that he's still one of the top players in the draft. However, he hasn't seen a offense like the Pats possess this year, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him fooled a few times.

While Brady Moss, Stallworth and Welker have been the names everyone has been talking about, after this game the name every one will be talking about is going to be Lawrence Moroney. The Skins have been proven to be weak against the run, and given the adjustments that have to be made to contain our passing attack, the OL and Moroney will gash the pass rushing Skins DL.

I can see the game being fairly close for 2-3 quarters, however like the Dallas game, in the end the Pats will cover the spread and end up this game with kneel downs deep in Washington territory.

Archived