Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk X's and O's: Gameplan VS Patriots

SkinSabbath

The Pats throw the ball short quite a bit. I would play my CBs in tight man to man coverage...in the short zones, then they would pass the WRs over to the Ss over the top. After about 12 yds they can pass them over and then fall off to look for screens and balls to the RBs. It would also allow them to play physically against the WRs.

The weakness of this type of defense is the deep middle, however the Pats TE Ben Watson isn't playing this week so this threat becomes diminished.

Have to DISAGREE with you here... Our corners are not BIG or PHYSICAL. Any attempt to jam and then release the WRs into the secondary will only result in HUGE gains (as Brady will pick apart the Cover2 easily). I think our corners will need to run with Moss and Stallworth (as best as they can) and leave the quick, versatile LBs in charge of the screen watch.

Besides, if you let the WRs behind the CBs then Sean Taylor would have to cover a WR one-on-one, which you advise against in THIS quote:

4. Contrary to some of the post here, you DO NOT want Sean Taylor going one on one with ANYONE. He is a SAFETY, not a CB, he would get eaten up going one of one with most NFL WRs let alone the ones the Pats have. You want Taylor and Landry playing center field. You want them hitting receivers, protecting CBs, and jumping routes over the middle for potentially big plays.

I DO AGREE with you on this one. Taylor can really change the game if he can find an INT or force some fumbles... That's why I chose the Cover 3 so he can play centerfield (where he dominates).

The Pats throw the ball short quite a bit. I would play my CBs in tight man to man coverage...in the short zones, then they would pass the WRs over to the Ss over the top. After about 12 yds they can pass them over and then fall off to look for screens and balls to the RBs. It would also allow them to play physically against the WRs.

The weakness of this type of defense is the deep middle, however the Pats TE Ben Watson isn't playing this week so this threat becomes diminished.

Have to DISAGREE with you here... Our corners are not BIG or PHYSICAL. Any attempt to jam and then release the WRs into the secondary will only result in HUGE gains (as Brady will pick apart the Cover2 easily). I think our corners will need to run with Moss and Stallworth (as best as they can) and leave the quick, versatile LBs in charge of the screen watch.

Besides, if you let the WRs behind the CBs then Sean Taylor would have to cover a WR one-on-one, which you advise against in THIS quote:

4. Contrary to some of the post here, you DO NOT want Sean Taylor going one on one with ANYONE. He is a SAFETY, not a CB, he would get eaten up going one of one with most NFL WRs let alone the ones the Pats have. You want Taylor and Landry playing center field. You want them hitting receivers, protecting CBs, and jumping routes over the middle for potentially big plays.

I DO AGREE with you on this one. Taylor can really change the game if he can find an INT or force some fumbles... That's why I chose the Cover 3 so he can play centerfield (where he dominates).

I agree that ball control is critical. But ball control can be done with the passing game. I'd like to see us run a west-coast passing game: our O-line will likely be ineffective at giving our RBs running lanes, and likely won't give Campbell a whole lot of time. A west-coast offense will have quick passes, perhas even as a substitute for a running game. Run some slants, outs, screens, etc. I think a style similar to that of the Houston game last year would work pretty well. An effective passing game set up the run. It could do the same here. We need to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers with some room to work. A west coast offense can do this.

I agree that ball control is critical. But ball control can be done with the passing game. I'd like to see us run a west-coast passing game: our O-line will likely be ineffective at giving our RBs running lanes, and likely won't give Campbell a whole lot of time. A west-coast offense will have quick passes, perhas even as a substitute for a running game. Run some slants, outs, screens, etc. I think a style similar to that of the Houston game last year would work pretty well. An effective passing game set up the run. It could do the same here. We need to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers with some room to work. A west coast offense can do this.

You're going to see a deep center-field pass D to take away the big play as much as possible. We've done that relatively successfully against the past 2 #1 passing attacks we've faced, though I am aware this O is much better. I expect the pats to throw underneath and over the middle to draw up the deep coverage and exploit the LBs in coverage. They will also try to run more, IMO--they are not the Lions and will adapt much more effectively to our pass D. That's ok, because they've been feasting on the long ball--make them drive it. They will be able to, but that gives us a better shot. The front 4 must control the run and get SOME pressure, or we'll have trouble no matter what we do with our safeties.

On offense, we need to establish the run, which will be very tough, given that we don't have Thomas or Jansen, and they will be keying on the run early. Screens, slants, and Cooley will help--kind of as run-style plays, all to get the safeties up. If we can get some run stuff working, we must hit some play-action. Finally, we must convert on 3rd and shorts to keep our D and their O off the field as much as possible.

Gibbs system is good against high-powered O's when it works. For all of you complaining about ball control, there is something to be said for keeping the leagues best passer off the field, and keeping our D fresh.

It will be very tough, because our O has yet to show it can sustain drives throughout games, and the run game has been lacking. But we've shown some signs. As always, a quick score on the road will help, and TOs, if we can get them, could make the difference. (And with us as 17 point dogs, and Indy coming next week, lets hope they don't come out with their usual zing. Could happen.)

You're going to see a deep center-field pass D to take away the big play as much as possible. We've done that relatively successfully against the past 2 #1 passing attacks we've faced, though I am aware this O is much better. I expect the pats to throw underneath and over the middle to draw up the deep coverage and exploit the LBs in coverage. They will also try to run more, IMO--they are not the Lions and will adapt much more effectively to our pass D. That's ok, because they've been feasting on the long ball--make them drive it. They will be able to, but that gives us a better shot. The front 4 must control the run and get SOME pressure, or we'll have trouble no matter what we do with our safeties.

On offense, we need to establish the run, which will be very tough, given that we don't have Thomas or Jansen, and they will be keying on the run early. Screens, slants, and Cooley will help--kind of as run-style plays, all to get the safeties up. If we can get some run stuff working, we must hit some play-action. Finally, we must convert on 3rd and shorts to keep our D and their O off the field as much as possible.

Gibbs system is good against high-powered O's when it works. For all of you complaining about ball control, there is something to be said for keeping the leagues best passer off the field, and keeping our D fresh.

It will be very tough, because our O has yet to show it can sustain drives throughout games, and the run game has been lacking. But we've shown some signs. As always, a quick score on the road will help, and TOs, if we can get them, could make the difference. (And with us as 17 point dogs, and Indy coming next week, lets hope they don't come out with their usual zing. Could happen.)

Archived