Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com Insider - Kretz: 'Skins can stop Pats' trio of WRs

skinsfannyc76

I'm not sure about the glowing comments regarding the cornerbacks. We watched Green Bay's corners decimate the Skins. I think we have good corners, but not great corners.

Did they really? I seem to remember our WRs being open all over the place but dropping balls left and right. Not to mention B Lloyd had a TD if JC puts a little less on that one pass.

"All three have the ability to be shutdown corners and they all have size, speed, quickness and the ability to read a wide receiver's body language."

wow...I love carlos...but those are some HIGHHHHH praises....to call him not only good...but SHUTDOWN (ex. Champ Bailey)....is a BOLD statement..

All have the ABILITY. that doesn't mean they always are. Rogers can be an extremely physical and dominating cornerback. He's shut down torry holt and Steve Smith.

"All three have the ability to be shutdown corners and they all have size, speed, quickness and the ability to read a wide receiver's body language."

wow...I love carlos...but those are some HIGHHHHH praises....to call him not only good...but SHUTDOWN (ex. Champ Bailey)....is a BOLD statement..

All have the ABILITY. that doesn't mean they always are. Rogers can be an extremely physical and dominating cornerback. He's shut down torry holt and Steve Smith.

Did they really? I seem to remember our WRs being open all over the place but dropping balls left and right. Not to mention B Lloyd had a TD if JC puts a little less on that one pass.

I agree. It's called catching the ball, something our receivers just didn't accomplish that game.

I agree. It's called catching the ball, something our receivers just didn't accomplish that game.

You guys are stuck in years gone by. :)

Rogers is having a spectacular year and has yet to let someone get by him deep. He's shaping into one of the league's better CBs. Also, I don't think we'll be seeing very many situations where we are bringing pressure so regardless of who's lined up over him directly, chances are Sean Taylor will be watching him deep, too.

I agree.

Also Carlos always plays the same side of the field, no matter who lines up in front of him. I think NE's recievers will see action against all of our corners.

You guys are stuck in years gone by. :)

Rogers is having a spectacular year and has yet to let someone get by him deep. He's shaping into one of the league's better CBs. Also, I don't think we'll be seeing very many situations where we are bringing pressure so regardless of who's lined up over him directly, chances are Sean Taylor will be watching him deep, too.

I agree.

Also Carlos always plays the same side of the field, no matter who lines up in front of him. I think NE's recievers will see action against all of our corners.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

Coming into the draft, Sean Taylor was touted as a great ballhawking safety. In his first few years, the media claims he is undisciplined, bites on routes, relies on athleticism too much, but is great at punishing hits. Now suddenly, he is a ballhawking safety again who has great route-reading skills who puts a lot of time into film study.

Which one's the real Sean Taylor!?

Coming into the draft, Sean Taylor was touted as a great ballhawking safety. In his first few years, the media claims he is undisciplined, bites on routes, relies on athleticism too much, but is great at punishing hits. Now suddenly, he is a ballhawking safety again who has great route-reading skills who puts a lot of time into film study.

I feel like Carlos can establish himself as one of the elite corners in the NFL this week. IMO he has really stepped it up so far this season and he could quiet a lot of his doubters in a game like this. I hope he's up for the challenge.

I feel like Carlos can establish himself as one of the elite corners in the NFL this week. IMO he has really stepped it up so far this season and he could quiet a lot of his doubters in a game like this. I hope he's up for the challenge.

Like they say, it's never as good or as bad as it seems. Taylor's strongest football attributes are his abilites as a deep field, ballhawking safety.....that's what he's good at. In 06 (and somewhat in 05 as well) Taylor was trying too hard to do to many things. He had to cover for the weak coverage of the players around him. He had to fill for Warrick "push me ten yards back every run play" Holdman in the running game. The lack of quality parts around him contributed heavily to his being out of position. There was just too much that needed to be covered and the opposing offense would take the spot Taylor didn't cover. They still didn't throw at him much.

This year, we're healthy and deep at CB. Carter and the youngins at DT "as well as Wilson and Evans at the ends) and Griffin are all playing well and getting pressure. Fletcher is getting everyone in position and tipping them as to what's coming. McIntosh is a HUGE, HUGE upgrade over Warrick Holdman......HUGE. We have so much more speed, smarts and athleticism in around him that he's able to just concentrate on his responsibility and make plays. Now, he still does occasionally get out of position and gets caught spying the short stuff or spying the play fake, relying on his overwhelming athleticism but to date, they haven't been able to make us pay for it.....primarily because of good pressure from the front 4. Now that there's adequate talent around him, just like in 04, we're seeing how good he can truly be.

Like they say, it's never as good or as bad as it seems. Taylor's strongest football attributes are his abilites as a deep field, ballhawking safety.....that's what he's good at. In 06 (and somewhat in 05 as well) Taylor was trying too hard to do to many things. He had to cover for the weak coverage of the players around him. He had to fill for Warrick "push me ten yards back every run play" Holdman in the running game. The lack of quality parts around him contributed heavily to his being out of position. There was just too much that needed to be covered and the opposing offense would take the spot Taylor didn't cover. They still didn't throw at him much.

This year, we're healthy and deep at CB. Carter and the youngins at DT "as well as Wilson and Evans at the ends) and Griffin are all playing well and getting pressure. Fletcher is getting everyone in position and tipping them as to what's coming. McIntosh is a HUGE, HUGE upgrade over Warrick Holdman......HUGE. We have so much more speed, smarts and athleticism in around him that he's able to just concentrate on his responsibility and make plays. Now, he still does occasionally get out of position and gets caught spying the short stuff or spying the play fake, relying on his overwhelming athleticism but to date, they haven't been able to make us pay for it.....primarily because of good pressure from the front 4. Now that there's adequate talent around him, just like in 04, we're seeing how good he can truly be.

If Rogers covers Moss it won't matter if Taylor covers over the top. Rogers will give Moss his 10 yard cusion and he'll just rack up YAC. Springs could do a better job at jamming Moss at the line.
First of all, Williams tells him to play off, it's not his decision, he said so in a presser last year.

Second, I think Carlos is much better at pressing that Springs. Springs is a better cover guy, perfect for Welker or Stallworth, but Randy needs our most physical corner in his face all day, and if when he gets by him, ST needs to light his ass up!

Third, I think the only way Carlos Rogers becomes an elite corner by everyone's standards (most notably his own), is by covering elite receivers. Look at our schedule. Aside from TO, Plax and (maybe) Coles, he won't the opportunity to cover another Pro-Bowl caliber receiver until the playoffs.

I think Carlos Rogers against Randy Moss is a perfect analogy of the Redskins vs. Patriots. One is decent, one is mighty. One has shown flashes of brillance but is largely inconsistent, the other has played a virtually flawless season. One is struggling to finally live up to expectation, the other is redefining it.

They say adversity introduces a man to himself. I believe that. And I believe that regardless of what the scoreboard says in Foxboro at 7:30 Sunday night, both the Washington Redskins and Carlos Rogers will have both faced their toughest challenge of the year, and will both come home much stronger because of it.

If Rogers covers Moss it won't matter if Taylor covers over the top. Rogers will give Moss his 10 yard cusion and he'll just rack up YAC. Springs could do a better job at jamming Moss at the line.
First of all, Williams tells him to play off, it's not his decision, he said so in a presser last year.

Second, I think Carlos is much better at pressing that Springs. Springs is a better cover guy, perfect for Welker or Stallworth, but Randy needs our most physical corner in his face all day, and if when he gets by him, ST needs to light his ass up!

Third, I think the only way Carlos Rogers becomes an elite corner by everyone's standards (most notably his own), is by covering elite receivers. Look at our schedule. Aside from TO, Plax and (maybe) Coles, he won't the opportunity to cover another Pro-Bowl caliber receiver until the playoffs.

I think Carlos Rogers against Randy Moss is a perfect analogy of the Redskins vs. Patriots. One is decent, one is mighty. One has shown flashes of brillance but is largely inconsistent, the other has played a virtually flawless season. One is struggling to finally live up to expectation, the other is redefining it.

They say adversity introduces a man to himself. I believe that. And I believe that regardless of what the scoreboard says in Foxboro at 7:30 Sunday night, both the Washington Redskins and Carlos Rogers will have both faced their toughest challenge of the year, and will both come home much stronger because of it.

Archived