Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Key to pressuring brady = LaRon Landry

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

This matchup is interesting to me, because Bill Belichick himself has repeatedly provided the blueprint to slowing down a passing attack such as one like the Patriots have.

Conventional (and unimaginative) wisdom says that if you give a QB all day to throw the ball, he'll pick you apart. But if you can pressure the quarterback, especially up the middle, he'll start to hurry his passes and start to make mistakes. It appears to be sound football strategy. Steve Young spouted off the same strategy on the air this past week in his analysis. But the recent reality has been much different.

The recent trend is offenses designed to get the ball out of the quarterback's hands extremely quickly. Three, sometimes one-step drops are the norm. Couple that with quarterback like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, who are extremely adept at reading defenses, and it doesn't matter if you send nine-guys on the pass rush -- you aren't going to get to the QB very often.

Belichick's blueprint is NOT the cliche about getting in the passers face by blitzing. Twice in Super Bowls (1st as defensive coordinator with the Giants against the Bills, and 2nd against the Rams' Greatest Show on Turf) he has faced torrid passing attacks and executed the same gameplan.

Against the no-huddle Bills, Belichick rushed four and dropped 7 into coverage the entire game. If you watch the America's Game production on the Giants that season, you would hear the players talk about how Belichick told his defenders they were going to LET Thurman Thomas get his 100 yards. They said their pride was hurt, because they didn't want any player to rush for 100 yards. But Belichick told them to trust him, because the key to stopping the Bills was to stymie their passing attack.

Against the Rams, analysts were all saying the same thing: get in Warners face, or they would drop 50 points on the Pats.

So what did Belichick do? He frequently dropped 8 -- sometimes even 9!!! -- into coverage the whole game.

He held the Greatest Show on Turf to 17 points in the Super Bowl because they limited plays down the field, Warner had to dink and dunk his way down the field, which limited their number of possessions, and forced Warner into throwing two interceptions, one of which was returned for a TD.

It didn't matter that the Rams won the time-of-possession. It didn't matter that the Rams outgained the Pats 427-267. It didn't matter that the Pats converted only 2-11 third downs.

What mattered is that the Pats kept the Rams out of the end zone at the incredible rate they were getting there previously.

So don't give me cliches about pass rush pressure. It won't work. Tom Brady currently has a QB rating of 137, but his rating against the blitz is 149.

Be that as it may, there is SOME merit to blitzing Landry, but ONLY in the Red Zone, where the field is compressed and receivers can't get behind the hole left coverage by blitzing Landry.

When the Skins blitz, it will probably be of the zone blitz-type, where a linebacker or safety blitzes, but a D-lineman drops into coverage. That way, you are still rushing four, but you try to cross up the blocking schemes and hope a rusher comes clean.

This matchup is interesting to me, because Bill Belichick himself has repeatedly provided the blueprint to slowing down a passing attack such as one like the Patriots have.

Conventional (and unimaginative) wisdom says that if you give a QB all day to throw the ball, he'll pick you apart. But if you can pressure the quarterback, especially up the middle, he'll start to hurry his passes and start to make mistakes. It appears to be sound football strategy. Steve Young spouted off the same strategy on the air this past week in his analysis. But the recent reality has been much different.

The recent trend is offenses designed to get the ball out of the quarterback's hands extremely quickly. Three, sometimes one-step drops are the norm. Couple that with quarterback like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, who are extremely adept at reading defenses, and it doesn't matter if you send nine-guys on the pass rush -- you aren't going to get to the QB very often.

Belichick's blueprint is NOT the cliche about getting in the passers face by blitzing. Twice in Super Bowls (1st as defensive coordinator with the Giants against the Bills, and 2nd against the Rams' Greatest Show on Turf) he has faced torrid passing attacks and executed the same gameplan.

Against the no-huddle Bills, Belichick rushed four and dropped 7 into coverage the entire game. If you watch the America's Game production on the Giants that season, you would hear the players talk about how Belichick told his defenders they were going to LET Thurman Thomas get his 100 yards. They said their pride was hurt, because they didn't want any player to rush for 100 yards. But Belichick told them to trust him, because the key to stopping the Bills was to stymie their passing attack.

Against the Rams, analysts were all saying the same thing: get in Warners face, or they would drop 50 points on the Pats.

So what did Belichick do? He frequently dropped 8 -- sometimes even 9!!! -- into coverage the whole game.

He held the Greatest Show on Turf to 17 points in the Super Bowl because they limited plays down the field, Warner had to dink and dunk his way down the field, which limited their number of possessions, and forced Warner into throwing two interceptions, one of which was returned for a TD.

It didn't matter that the Rams won the time-of-possession. It didn't matter that the Rams outgained the Pats 427-267. It didn't matter that the Pats converted only 2-11 third downs.

What mattered is that the Pats kept the Rams out of the end zone at the incredible rate they were getting there previously.

So don't give me cliches about pass rush pressure. It won't work. Tom Brady currently has a QB rating of 137, but his rating against the blitz is 149.

Be that as it may, there is SOME merit to blitzing Landry, but ONLY in the Red Zone, where the field is compressed and receivers can't get behind the hole left coverage by blitzing Landry.

When the Skins blitz, it will probably be of the zone blitz-type, where a linebacker or safety blitzes, but a D-lineman drops into coverage. That way, you are still rushing four, but you try to cross up the blocking schemes and hope a rusher comes clean.

i like this too, although i think smoot would be in this package before PP would.

I thought you might like it. I used PP because he plays saftey and Landry could be the extra backer with enough speed to get back in coverage.

Smoot is striclty a corner, so i would hope landry would drop back or its just ST back there.

But with no Mwash, there is really no reason to have 3 Lbs out there. Might as well encourage the run and tell ST dont even think about biting on the playfake.

Make them beat us with the run, give it to them.

i like this too, although i think smoot would be in this package before PP would.

I thought you might like it. I used PP because he plays saftey and Landry could be the extra backer with enough speed to get back in coverage.

Smoot is striclty a corner, so i would hope landry would drop back or its just ST back there.

But with no Mwash, there is really no reason to have 3 Lbs out there. Might as well encourage the run and tell ST dont even think about biting on the playfake.

Make them beat us with the run, give it to them.

Overall Defense

I think we can come to a safe conclusion which is that we need to play a combination of Cover 2, disguised zone blitzes and some corner blitzes. The Pats love spreading the ball and we can’t let them figure out our game plan. This is the time of year where offensive coordinators have stock piled enough game plan footage to really test defenses. I really think we should show them different packages and defensive formations. I also think we will have a harder time covering the tough Wesley Welker, and the tight end than Randy Moss. Keep in mind, Moss is no spring chicken and a couple of physical tackles and hits from 21 and company should be enough to fluster Moss’s concentration and desire to make those sacrifice jump ball catches. Also, the under credited Pat’s O-line is keeping Brady’s back off the dirt and they are very good at picking up blitzes. However, I dont think that necessarily means we shouldnt blitz. It seems like we got away a bit from using Laron’s strengths in his timing and gap shooting abilities to force pressure throws and sacks. Overall, I really like the way our defense matches up. However, there is only so much pressure our D can take before it snaps, so key to this game is our offense. The O really needs to play better in ball control, and limiting turnovers.

Overall Defense

I think we can come to a safe conclusion which is that we need to play a combination of Cover 2, disguised zone blitzes and some corner blitzes. The Pats love spreading the ball and we can’t let them figure out our game plan. This is the time of year where offensive coordinators have stock piled enough game plan footage to really test defenses. I really think we should show them different packages and defensive formations. I also think we will have a harder time covering the tough Wesley Welker, and the tight end than Randy Moss. Keep in mind, Moss is no spring chicken and a couple of physical tackles and hits from 21 and company should be enough to fluster Moss’s concentration and desire to make those sacrifice jump ball catches. Also, the under credited Pat’s O-line is keeping Brady’s back off the dirt and they are very good at picking up blitzes. However, I dont think that necessarily means we shouldnt blitz. It seems like we got away a bit from using Laron’s strengths in his timing and gap shooting abilities to force pressure throws and sacks. Overall, I really like the way our defense matches up. However, there is only so much pressure our D can take before it snaps, so key to this game is our offense. The O really needs to play better in ball control, and limiting turnovers.

The Skins will need an amazing day out of the D-line for the SKins to have a successful day. When I say an amazing day, I don't neccessarily mean sacks but more so, QB pressures and changing Brady's comfortability in the pocket. The whole blitzing Landry idea, I do not concur with (maybe just 2-3 times). Good teams with good personell and a future Hall of Fame QB will eat up a team who tries to blitz them. Defenses blitz young QB's to force mistakes, not veteran Hall of Fame QB's. The Skins need to stick with the same game plan and hope the D-line (the same D-line the Front Office felt did not need improvement this year) can step up and have a great day. I do believe and hope Gegg switches and gives many different looks (zones, man, occassional blitzes and lots of jamming at the line).

This all will not matter if the OFFENSE comes out plays poorly.

The Skins will need an amazing day out of the D-line for the SKins to have a successful day. When I say an amazing day, I don't neccessarily mean sacks but more so, QB pressures and changing Brady's comfortability in the pocket. The whole blitzing Landry idea, I do not concur with (maybe just 2-3 times). Good teams with good personell and a future Hall of Fame QB will eat up a team who tries to blitz them. Defenses blitz young QB's to force mistakes, not veteran Hall of Fame QB's. The Skins need to stick with the same game plan and hope the D-line (the same D-line the Front Office felt did not need improvement this year) can step up and have a great day. I do believe and hope Gegg switches and gives many different looks (zones, man, occassional blitzes and lots of jamming at the line).

This all will not matter if the OFFENSE comes out plays poorly.

Archived