Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1st half vs 2nd half (O and D)

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

Its killing me watching this team come out and look incredible in the first half, and completely go into a coma in the 2nd half and its been that way in a number of these games.

overall:

1st half

redskins: 72

opponents: 29

weve outscored our opponents by 43 points in the first half. we have lead at halftime in every game accept the miami game. weve had leads of 4, 14, 14, 7, 8 going into halftime. we have lost 2 of those 5 games, and almost lost yesterday.

2nd half

redskins: 50

opponents: 59

the only game we really dominated was the lions game. if you take that huge victory away, it becomes 30 to 56 in the second half. thats ridiculous. how do we go from so good in the first half (and every first half has been solid, good, steady football, no blowouts, just sound competitive football where we have been flatout better than the other team) to so friggin bad in the 2nd half??? i just dont get it and its embarrassing.

everyone can say were banged up on offense and were missing oline, yet every game weve been able to play well in the first half, then for some reason everything just turns to s*** in the second half. its to the point where us having a lead sucks because i KNOW were going to botch it.

are we not adjusting?? are teams adjusting waaaay too much to us? is our playcalling so predictable that teams just know whats coming?

i think its all 3 of those. i found myself yesterday calling out plays when we ran them, and i know 1/100000th of what all these coaches knows. if i can look at our formation and know what play is coming, surely the other team knows 10 billion times more of how to stop it.

something needs to change, we cant just rely on eating the clock all day. we need to get better on offense and i really think it starts with our playcalling/philosophy.

I think the coaches (especially offensive coaches, Gibbs) have this idea that if you are up 2 td's you have to play smart and protect the football. So, they end up shutting it down way too early.

Does anyone think that when were up 21-6, Fitzgerald and Boldin were thinking "Oh, we're out of this game." Hell no, they werent. They were both thinking, "if we just make one play we are back in this game." And they were right!

Gibbs needs to realize that no lead is safe in the NFL going against other paid athletes who know how to make plays too.

even more disturbing offensive tidbits. sans the detroit game, weve put up 10 offensive points in the 4th quarter in 5 other games.

3 in 4th quarter against miami

7 in 4th quarter against philly

0 in 4th quarter against giants

0 in 4th quarter against green bay

0 in 4th quarter against arizona

thats horrendous. downright terrible.

even more disturbing offensive tidbits. sans the detroit game, weve put up 10 offensive points in the 4th quarter in 5 other games.

Ugh!

Its killing me watching this team come out and look incredible in the first half, and completely go into a coma in the 2nd half and its been that way in a number of these games.

something needs to change, we cant just rely on eating the clock all day. we need to get better on offense and i really think it starts with our playcalling/philosophy.

We're able to get leads in the first half because, by and large, we prepare better than the other teams' coaches.

They're able to either close the gap on our leads, or overtake us, because they're trailing and start running much higher-risk offenses.

Given that our OL is awful right now, there really isn't much argument to be made to be more agressive. When you have an OL who are unfamiliar with each other, as ours is right now, the easiest thing for them to do is run-block. Given their relative lack of talent (this is all back-up talent out there, save Samuels) their runblocking skills against a very good young DL like the Cardinals have, is not going to yield much in the way of results.

Now, let's say the second half was littered with 4-receiver sets. With that OL, and Arizona's DL and secondary, that is just *begging* for a pick six, and multiple sacks.

Face it, as frustrating as it is, the philosphy WORKED.

jason campbell doesnt have the right protection. We already saw what happened to him in preseason, do you think the coaching staff wants to expose their franchise QB? why do you guys act like this is madden football when you loose a J Jansen, R Thomas and recently C Rabach theres alot of things a offense will not be able to do, stop acting spoiled and appreciate a coaching staff that has a 4-2 record its retarded to think you can plug anybody in week to week that has no chemistry with anybody around them and expect to just pick up where the last probowler left off

everyone can say were banged up on offense and were missing oline, yet every game weve been able to play well in the first half, then for some reason everything just turns to s*** in the second half. its to the point where us having a lead sucks because i KNOW were going to botch it.

In the Cards game the only long scoring drive the Redskins put together was done in the second half. We really weren't doing much on offense all day long. And yeah, I think it's because we were banged up up front.

We're able to get leads in the first half because, by and large, we prepare better than the other teams' coaches.

They're able to either close the gap on our leads, or overtake us, because they're trailing and start running much higher-risk offenses.

Given that our OL is awful right now, there really isn't much argument to be made to be more agressive. When you have an OL who are unfamiliar with each other, as ours is right now, the easiest thing for them to do is run-block. Given their relative lack of talent (this is all back-up talent out there, save Samuels) their runblocking skills against a very good young DL like the Cardinals have, is not going to yield much in the way of results.

Now, let's say the second half was littered with 4-receiver sets. With that OL, and Arizona's DL and secondary, that is just *begging* for a pick six, and multiple sacks.

Amen, we can all twist anyway you want it about us being conservative, and i myself even was preaching that weeks ago. That coaching staff can only use the horses they have, and to be quite honest the offensive line we have right now isnt very good. Its tough to be ultra aggressive with that type of line in the game.

I think the coaches (especially offensive coaches, Gibbs) have this idea that if you are up 2 td's you have to play smart and protect the football. So, they end up shutting it down way too early.

Does anyone think that when were up 21-6, Fitzgerald and Boldin were thinking "Oh, we're out of this game." Hell no, they werent. They were both thinking, "if we just make one play we are back in this game." And they were right!

Gibbs needs to realize that no lead is safe in the NFL going against other paid athletes who know how to make plays too.

It was funny listening to the sound bites from the Patriots post game press conference. Belichick had replaced Brady with the backup QB in the second half (score was 42-7). When Miami narrowed the gap to 42-21 in the 4th quarter, Belicheck put Brady back in. When asked about that move, Belicheck stated that in the NFL, a 21 point lead isn't safe until the final whistle... Any question why the Patriots are more successful then the other teams? It stinks that Gibbs doesn't seem to realize that NFL offenses can score in a hurry... Ask the Eagles or Titans about that.

It was funny listening to the sound bites from the Patriots post game press conference. Belichick had replaced Brady with the backup QB in the second half (score was 42-7). When Miami narrowed the gap to 42-21 in the 4th quarter, Belicheck put Brady back in. When asked about that move, Belicheck stated that in the NFL, a 21 point lead isn't safe until the final whistle... Any question why the Patriots are more successful then the other teams?

They have Brady? :)

I'm not sure what we can do to correct the problem either. Second half scoring can be many things. Play Calling, Players Execution, Opponnets adjustments, etc.

We should structure our practices where we reward the offense for producing more in second half scenarios. We've got to do something to be able to close games out on offense.

It was funny listening to the sound bites from the Patriots post game press conference. Belichick had replaced Brady with the backup QB in the second half (score was 42-7). When Miami narrowed the gap to 42-21 in the 4th quarter, Belicheck put Brady back in. When asked about that move, Belicheck stated that in the NFL, a 21 point lead isn't safe until the final whistle... Any question why the Patriots are more successful then the other teams? It stinks that Gibbs doesn't seem to realize that NFL offenses can score in a hurry... Ask the Eagles or Titans about that.

Wow, that guy is probably one of three when it comes to all time great coaches. Exactly for that reason.

I honestly don't think it's as much playcalling as it is lack of cohesion and people either making mistakes, missing assignments, or just plain getting overpowered and outplayed in 1 on 1 matchups.

If you look at our offensive possessions, in the first quarter we start with a 3 and out, are able to go 25 yards mostly on the ground after ST's INT setting us up with great field position for our first TD. Honestly, we only got that from a dumb penalty on the Cards to extend our drive otherwise we only get a FG attempt.

In the 2nd quarter, we have a 3 and out, then Cooley drops an easy first down that could have lead to a FG or more. The next drive the first play is an INT.

The 3rd quarter, we get a great kickoff return, and get sacked on 3rd down setting up a longer FG that was missed. We put together a nice drive after that with a big play from El and a nice run by Betts to allow CP to dive in for the TD.

The 4th quarter was 3 consecutive 3 and outs and the kneel down to end it. Not counting the kneel, 4 out of the 9 plays were passes.

As far as scoring goes, the only thing the 2nd half lacked that the first half had were the 2 INTs with Fletch's going in for the score. We really couldn't muster up anything against the Cards. Not truly a first half vs. second half thing here offensively, just a we cannot stop the front four from running right into our backfield as soon as we snap.

so if other teams are willing to run much higher risk offenses, why is gibbs completely terrified of risk? i never see us run anything that even closely resembles a risky play. that shows a lack of confidence in all of our playmakers.

and fine, our oline is banged up. even when we kept in a bunch of extra guys, we still couldnt protect campbell. we should have gone to 4/5 WR, and run short routes into the hands of our speedy receivers. you send 5 capable WRs out there on quick routes, someones gonna get open quickly. we need to adjust our scheme becuase the current personel just cannot hack it. we cant just keep running the same ineffective offense because we will lose.

imagine if we had pulled that business against the pats last week. we better see a ton of spread offense next week. anymore max protect garbage and im gonna throw up.

Why do you get to arbitrarily remove facts that don't support your conclusion?

In total, the Redskins have been outscored 33-28 in the fourth quarter. They've had *two* bad fourth quarters out of six. One against the Giants, and one against Arizona. The other four games they've given up a total of six points in the fourth quarter.

Objectively speaking, those results do not indicate a systemic failure.

so if other teams are willing to run much higher risk offenses, why is gibbs completely terrified of risk? i never see us run anything that even closely resembles a risky play. that shows a lack of confidence in all of our playmakers.

and fine, our oline is banged up. even when we kept in a bunch of extra guys, we still couldnt protect campbell. we should have gone to 4/5 WR, and run short routes into the hands of our speedy receivers. you send 5 capable WRs out there on quick routes, someones gonna get open quickly. we need to adjust our scheme becuase the current personel just cannot hack it. we cant just keep running the same ineffective offense because we will lose.

imagine if we had pulled that business against the pats last week. we better see a ton of spread offense next week. anymore max protect garbage and im gonna throw up.

The opponents are willing to run higher-risk offenses in the second half because they're trailing. In particular, the only two bad fourth quarters we've had (vs. NY, and ARI) were both games where the opponent was down by a full two TDs in the third quarter. No coincidence that they became much more aggressive.

The Miami, Philly, and Green Bay games were all close, so there was no need for any of them to do risky things.

We've never been down by multiple scores so we have no idea what Gibbs / Saunders would do (though we'll find out in New England).

As for your demand that we go to 4/5 wr sets. Uh-huh. Won't work. The Cards were all over those short passes yesterday. Tried two of them to Moss (who has taken them to the house several times) and he ended up with 6 yards receiving. The Cards were playing press coverage all day. You give that front four of theirs minimum pass protection and you're looking at multiple sacks and many opportunities for INTs or fumbles.

Our best game occurred against Detroit, which came after a bye in which the Skins had a full week off from practice. They were well rested and fresh for the game, which might be why they played so well the entire game. Perhaps the coaching staff needs to rethink their weekly practice schedule to prevent the players from getting run down, might also be the cause of all of our muscle strains.

it's clear that we get wayyyyy too conservative in the 2nd half thus resulting in more points given up b/c our D is on the field longer due to the offensive ineptitude in the 2nd half. Why can't we play hard for the whole game and not be forced to almost have a heart attack every single week?

In total, the Redskins have been outscored 33-28 in the fourth quarter. They've had *two* bad fourth quarters out of six. One against the Giants, and one against Arizona. The other four games they've given up a total of six points in the fourth quarter.

are you trying to say that we played good in the 4th quarter vs. the packers? make it 3 out of 6 with no points. I also dont think scoring 3 points in a quarter against miami is good.

so really, it's 4 out of 6

i left out the 18 we put up on detroit in the 4th quarter because judging the 6 games, thats the inconsistent one. every other games 4th quarter has been relatively similar. 7 points, 3 points, or 0 points. awful numbers. we got one good 4th quarter in 6 games.

and 7 of those points were from our defense, so that drops it to 11. so we put up 11 offensive points in the 4th quarter against the lions.

i would say weve had 3 bad 4th quarters, and 2 pretty average 4th quarters. putting up 0 points in a quarter isnt good. its bad. mustering one score when your offense should be going full tilt isnt good.

i really hope you dont think were playing well in the second half.

As for your demand that we go to 4/5 wr sets. Uh-huh. Won't work. The Cards were all over those short passes yesterday. Tried two of them to Moss (who has taken them to the house several times) and he ended up with 6 yards receiving. The Cards were playing press coverage all day. You give that front four of theirs minimum pass protection and you're looking at multiple sacks and many opportunities for INTs or fumbles.

disagree, we should have been throwing slants, and quick over the middle stuff. they were bringing their LBs all day, or we should have been throwing quick outs to the flats and have our receivers blocking. hell, line sellers and cooley up wide, and throw to portis and let him take it.

we didnt adjust, we just ran the same bad offense we'd been running all day that didnt work. our 160 yards on the ground is proof that our offense didnt work.

Archived