Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help. (Coaching advice needed)

jrfriedm

I played the game of football for many years, and was decently good at it. I have now been coaching this game at the middle school level for 7 years. During that entire time I have always been the Offensive and Defensive line coach. I have/am very happy about this, for this is the area in which I played (Center/Guard and Defensive Tackle/Nose Guard), and I personally believe that the line is where football games are TRUELY won and lost. As a coach, I have been fortunate enough to win City Championships as well as suffer through a win less season.

This season I think I have some of the best talented running backs I have ever been fortunate to get to work with. They have speed, vision, talent and are just true athletes. However, the line that I've been handed (and these are the guys that I choose to keep from tryouts) is also probably the worst I've ever had. They are very slow off the ball, they stand straight up, they to do not hold their blocks, and they can not remember a snap count that doesn't go on one. Trust me, we have worked on this, all of this, everyday at practice for the past 6 weeks, and in practice it seems that they are doing good. They seem to fire off, make good contact and hold blocks, and they stay low (they still can't remember a damn snap count though). But in every game, they stop doing what they've been told and taught and just go back to being slow off the ball, and standing straight up and....

My question for you is how I can fix this. How do get them to understand that what they are doing is the biggest reason that this team, a team that should be at very least 2-1, and very probably should be 3-0, is 1-2 because of them. I ask you this because, I honestly don't know. I don't know what else to get this drilled into their heads. And I'm about to pull my hair out because of it.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I coach little league football in Fairfax county. Since they are older it`s going to be tougher. I would suggest. Taking that group by themselves. If you have a sled available. USE IT DAILY! Have them walk through there steps often. Firing off half speed and making sure their foot work is correct. Force the basics. Keeping their butts down, knees bent and heads up. It`s a work in progress but if you go over the basics daily, or every practice...it will sink in. Key in on the guys that show improvement and enourage them. It will encourage their peers to try harder. Also, not all lineman are going to be smashmouth run blockers. Some will be better at pass blocking. See what their strengths are and use them to your advantage. They less physical lineman may be better off using their hands and getting under the defensive linemans shoulder pads.

hope that helps phatna

BTW-I played football for 17 years. 10 years in pads (my High School sucked...coach held a grudge and ruined my college career)...the last 7 years I played full contact flag football....Wow. If I knew then what I found out later...I may have played DII or DIII college ball. Oh well...now I`m passing it on to my seeds.

DSC02056.jpg

My oldest son on the right (in the backfield). Last week against Dulles South he had 9 carries for 100 yards and a 72 yard kick return for a td. I coach special teams now (we have 2 KR for TDs on the season so far...haven`t given up any.... record is 4-0). I respect your situation jrfriedm. I want to eventually be a head coach. Good Luck!

Since they seem to be doing the right things in practice but then the wrong things on gameday, maybe a decent approach would be to simulate game conditions with them in practice, down to the very last detail, including wearing their game jerseys, blocking your starting defensive line, bringing a stereo to practice to simulate game noise, etc.

Like a previous poster said, repetition, repetition, repetition, and maybe the introduction of game-day conditions will allow them to get more comfortable when it's time to play for real.

Just a thought. :2cents:

(I should note that I have no football coaching credentials, though I had a similar problem to the one you seem to be having with my own basketball team, which couldn't play zone D to save their lives in a game, but ran it well in practice. My solution there was a little different, as I found that it was intimidation that caused them to forget what they knew, as they were in awe of other team's best scorers. (The same could be true for your squad when they line up against opposing D-lines.) So I brought in a few friends of mine to play as the offense attacking the defense, making sure the kids' positions were correct. Maybe getting them to practice against bigger kids than they'll face would be helpful to you...)

Make them accountable.

I coach 8-11 year olds... and offensive line is the most difficult position to teach. I'm the offensive coordinator.... and I work with both the runningbacks AND the offensive line. I DO have an offensive line coach... but it's a LOT of kids (10) he has to work with and it takes 2 to do the job right and to make sure EVERYBODY is doing everything right.

They need CONSTANT PRAISE.... so any time they do something right... let them know. I make them captains for the games. I let them know they are a unit within a unit... and they need to take a little bit of pride and ownership within themselves.

Every time my runningbacks run for more than 5 years.... I tell them to give the offensive linemen a pat on the back as an appreciation.

Most effectively though... use game tape.

Bring it to practice... take the WHOLE offense and break down every play right in front of them. Point out ALL the mistakes that everyone does. Trust me... once they know that the camera doesn't lie... and coach will eventually see everything.... they'll get embarrassed enough to make sure their teammates don't watch half-ass efforts. Do it every week.

And if necessary... bench kids. It's your responsibility to the team. You can't have kids halfassing it. Even at the expense of winning... you have to put your foot down. Put a lesser kid in there... to make a point.

It's a tough decision to make.... but it'll pay dividends down the road.

Here's a drill or 2 to get them to explode out of their stance.

#1. Tennis ball drill

One player at a time. Have the player down in his stance.... coach stands a yard or 2 away holding a tennis ball. Coach calls cadence.... and on the correct snap drops the ball. The offensive lineman has to explode of out his stance to catch the ball. If the balls touches the ground.... the offensive lineman does X pushups.

You can also do the same drill using a blocking shield... which will ensure the players keep the hands out wide (simulating getting their arms under the shoulder pads). Coach drops the shield and the lineman has to catch it and keep it from dropping or down pushups.

#2. Sumo Drills

Have the offensive linemen in a circle... put 2 guys in the centre. On cadence, they have to explode into each other (just like a normal block) and push each other out of the ring (face-to-face).... they can't block in the back, bear hug, pull, flip, etc. If they fall down... they get up and restart. It'll teach them to block correctly, explode out of their blocks, to sustain blocks for an extended period of time. Have the kids outside of the circle cheering them on.

This is a drill about heart. Believe it or not... my best blocker on my offensive line is a small kid about 65 pounds. He doesn't take crap from anybody.

#3. Tug-of-War

Get a rope (6') and tape the ends and middle (enough to grasp). Get 3 cones.... and make a triangle about 8 yards apart. Make 3 lines (teams) behind each cone. The first person each line grasps an end (and one person in the middle). On "GO"... they play tug-of-war... and the goal is to touch your own pilon WHILE still maintaining possession of the rope -- the game isn't over until one person accomplishes the goal. The 2 losers , and their respective teams, have to do 10 pushups. You'll see who your strongest players are.... you'll see who will fight until the bitter end until they're exhausted.... and it builds teamwork and pride. Not to mention... great conditioning :)

Never tell the kids they are the reason you're not where you should be. As you know, kid's psyche's are fragile. You can let them know without directly telling them. Say something like "We all know that games are won and lost in the trenches!" But say it to the whole team. The RBs usually take exception to it and step their game up even more as well.

Second, make sure the offense is based off the O-Lines strengths. At that level, you can't always run the scheme you want. Let the player's abilities dictate what scheme you run. Be flexible.

Die Hard gave you some drills that I personally use with my teams (whether it was these mod guys I'm with now, or the JV/Varsity guys I've been with previously).

DH was dead on with the praise comment. I really don't have much more to add other than what's already been said.

I played the game of football for many years, and was decently good at it. I have now been coaching this game at the middle school level for 7 years. During that entire time I have always been the Offensive and Defensive line coach. I have/am very happy about this, for this is the area in which I played (Center/Guard and Defensive Tackle/Nose Guard), and I personally believe that the line is where football games are TRUELY won and lost. As a coach, I have been fortunate enough to win City Championships as well as suffer through a win less season.

This season I think I have some of the best talented running backs I have ever been fortunate to get to work with. They have speed, vision, talent and are just true athletes. However, the line that I've been handed (and these are the guys that I choose to keep from tryouts) is also probably the worst I've ever had. They are very slow off the ball, they stand straight up, they to do not hold their blocks, and they can not remember a snap count that doesn't go on one. Trust me, we have worked on this, all of this, everyday at practice for the past 6 weeks, and in practice it seems that they are doing good. They seem to fire off, make good contact and hold blocks, and they stay low (they still can't remember a damn snap count though). But in every game, they stop doing what they've been told and taught and just go back to being slow off the ball, and standing straight up and....

My question for you is how I can fix this. How do get them to understand that what they are doing is the biggest reason that this team, a team that should be at very least 2-1, and very probably should be 3-0, is 1-2 because of them. I ask you this because, I honestly don't know. I don't know what else to get this drilled into their heads. And I'm about to pull my hair out because of it.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I coach girls basketball at the same grade level as you and my experience has been, they either get it or they don't. Some girls will eventually have a brainfart and it all becomes clear while others never understand it. I think it is just that age.

What I do, is I just keep plugging away, teaching the fundamentals and how to do it and hope that those who aren't getting it will at some time soon.

Normally what happens is the girls who get it and have talent, step up and play a better game to cover up for those not getting it.

Punishment works too. If they don't do something in practice I run them, they eventually get tired of the ard physical punishment and get it, some don't.

We have the same problem here this year.

I have an Oline of Juniors with one senior and during practice, based on the consistent play vs the scout team, they seem to click.

Problem is during games, they seem to freeze and then they play as if some of them were not at practice all week.

The best answer is that they do not have the necessary knowledge to adapt during a game vs the various defensive fronts we face or the player they are playing against is just killing them.

If they appear sluggish, unagressive or appear to be running around with their head cut off, it is a confidence issue on what they are required to do on a given play.

I would solve that problem first by drilling them through paper work and on field discussion about the various things you feel the opponent may throw at you.

For instance, I found one of our problems during our counter plays was that in the down block of the playside linemen, they would turn their shoulders and attempt to man block the ultimate zone blocking play. Backers would shoot through the tilted lanes and would stop our pulling linemen and blow the play up. Once I was able to properly teach them how to stay square to the LOS and control their gaps, then we have had success ever since. Especially when teams started to blitz into our playside gaps.

Always remember to ask yourself with any kids who are not performing, is it a training problem or an attitude problem. This will quickly cut out alot of the speculation that generally comes with these issues.

i agree w/ the game film idea...

show them how crap they play and they'll see it and then they want to get better so that they won't be called out..

your guys might be visual people, so they have to see it in order to do it right.., i say film them in practice and games, then have them sit down and show them the comparisons...

good luck

do you film your games? it's really eye opening for kids to see themselves on film.

I have tried to use game tape to show them what is happening, but it always seems that they get distracted by other things that are going on (running backs, hits, tackles....). I think that it may just be the age, and their inability to concentrate in a chaotic environment.

I've found game film is hard with that level. One thing I've suggested (that we haven't yet been able to do) is to have two different video cameras, one filming the lines, one filming everyone else, and maintaining focus there. Then split the team into skills and line and have them watch film in different areas...

I just haven't been able to pull that off yet... :/

I've found game film is hard with that level. One thing I've suggested (that we haven't yet been able to do) is to have two different video cameras, one filming the lines, one filming everyone else, and maintaining focus there. Then split the team into skills and line and have them watch film in different areas...

I just haven't been able to pull that off yet... :/

Good luck finding that many volunteers to pull that off :) It's hard enough finding coaches here.... and most parents just want to watch their kids play (not through a 2" LCD screen). And even if they DO do it.... chances are... they'll do a poor job of it because they don't really know or care to focus on what you're looking for.

This year... I'm only taping teams we'll possibly play in the playoffs. I need to make sure my teams are prepared for what they see.... because relying on the players accounts you'll think there are 42 defensive players on the field all blitzing.

I would've have liked to film ALL the games.... and put together a highlight video... but I just don't have the parents that will step up this year and do much beyond getting their kids to practice - even that is a 50/50 proposition with some of the kids :(

BTW, my kids (ages 8-11) LOVE video.... it's been the best instrument to correct errors. They all want to watch tape UNTIL they see all the errors they make... and then they aren't so giddy and smiling as they were before the tape rolled :laugh: But the video will show them if they held their blocks until the whistle... if they picked up the right guy... if they blocked correctly (technique)... and effort.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to critique and offensive line WITHOUT video... there's just no way you can focus on everything that's going on with so many people in a small congested area.

I have tried to use game tape to show them what is happening, but it always seems that they get distracted by other things that are going on (running backs, hits, tackles....). I think that it may just be the age, and their inability to concentrate in a chaotic environment.

i coached middle school for 4 years, and am in my 3rd year at the freshman level. i use game film, and i know what you're talking about.

what it takes is for you to watch the game film before showing it to them. pinpoint 8 to 10 plays that exemplify what you're trying to get across to them. when you go over the film with your kids, watch each play numerous times, concentrating each time on an individual (what was right, what was wrong).

film sessions have to be run in a manner that doesn't allow it to become just "watching football" like a fan. it's tough, but they can do it.

I have coached lacrosse for seven years, but played HS football as well as the FC flag, up until I tore up my knee.

As was previously said, basics and repetition. Teaching the proper technique is key.

It seems that your boys are prcticing wel, but it goes out the window in games. I have always been a preacher of the mantra "You play how you practice!!!!" If they are practicing well, maybe it's nerves on game day. They MUST trust in their abilities and trust in each other. :2cents:

Gamefilm is fantastic. I have the luxury of having an endzone cam, sideline cam and a wide cam.

Again, the problem rests when a kid lines up and looks across the LOS at his opponents, what is going through his mind. You need to find out what they are thinking.

Do they understand the situation:down, distance and where on the field you are. Do they have an idea of what the defense may throw at them in that situation to help anticipate the play.

Its not much, but I found my kids thinking too much on basic plays such as a down block. Aggressive play comes from knowing what your responsibility is on a giving play. Even the untalented can make things happen when they go in one direction.

Archived