Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A five second video shot is what we are missing....

scottlo34

As I rehashed the ridiculous loss yesterday against the Giants, I suddenly realized what this team has been missing ever since Gibbs has returned. I respect Coach Gibbs for all of his accomplishments and everything he has ever done for the Washington Redskins and their fans. For crying out loud, the man is in the Hall of Fame. How can you argue with that? Flash forward to present day and taking into consideration what all the fans are saying and have been saying for the last four years since Gibbs II has arrived, I believe also with those that think there is a problem with the coaching staff. the problem is not technical. The problem is not X's and O's. In order for anybody on this board to see what I am talking about they will need a a copy of the Super Bowl win over Denver back in '87. I know not everyone has a copy of it. However, I do know that are some here that do have a copy along with anything else that is Redskins nostalgia. Anyway, for some reason I remember this scene in my mind from the game with the Broncos, so I went and popped in my tape that I recorded from the game years ago. And there it was. It lasts for only 4-6 seconds. Very quick, but very telling. For those of you who have this footage, fast forward to the scene immediately after the commercial break after the Redskins scored their first touchdown on the pass from Williams to Sanders to make the score 10-7 Denver. What I see for a few very brief moments while he is talking, I take that back, being very direct, to assistant coaches in his headset is a Joe Gibbs who is angry, who is sick and tired of being sick and tired of watching his Redskins get smacked around by the Broncos for an entire first quarter, who is fired up after the touchdown, who is demonstrating his control over his entire coaching staff, (hello Al Saunders), who has determination all over his face that things are about to get real ugly for Denver, who is just about to go rip off someones uniform and go out there himself and take Denver apart. I saw all that in a few bright shining seconds. The result? Redskins 42, Broncos 10 and a second world title in five seasons. What is my point? That coach that was on that sideline possessing that fire, is not who we have on the sidelines today folks. Is it his fault? No. The bottom line is that people change. Players change. Organizations change. Rules change. Life changes. Coaches change. Joe Gibbs has changed through no fault of his own. I think we are so enamored and so obsessed with what Gibbs has done and what we expect him to do, that we have failed to realize that he is not capable of being the coach he once was. He means well. He is trying. I don't even think Gibbs himself knows that what was once there is no longer there. The Gibbs of old demanded Redskins football. The Gibbs of today is being demanded of Redskins football. There is a big difference. Things change. It's a fact of life. Joe Gibbs has changed. Whatever happens this year happens...Coach Gibbs is doing his best.

Sorry but a thread saying that Gibbs has lost his "spark" is not a new issue. There are a tonne of these already, also the paragraphs would have helped plenty.

I liked the way you finished however with a bit of optimism, it goes a long way especially after a loss. The problem on sunday (last) was the players though (and some spotty play calling), I dont think Gibbs was to blame for this one. We brought in some vocal leaders (LB) and have a few already in the locker room (Mr Sellars for one). You could just as easily say that they have lost their fire for this game as you could say it about Coach Gibbs.

The right words at the right time raise a man from mere mortal to deity, some fool jumping up and down on the sidelines lower the man into the court jester caricature.

I like paragraphs too. :D That was very hard to read.

Anyway, what I saw in that game was that Coughlin did the Redskins SB22 2nd Qtr Impression on our team. Sure, his team isn't as good but they ran off 21 unanswered and it looked like there was nothing we could, or even really cared to do on offense or defense until the game was pretty much in the can.

It looked like the Redskins/Indy game from last year. Maybe Peyton told Eli how to do it or something, who knows. The prevent offense and defense need to be replaced.

I posted a reply that basically said the same thing. As we get older, we get more conservative and we are less willing to do the things that make it necessary to win. I also said that the younger coaches today had a better chance of success because they are willing to do ANYTHING (number of hours, innovation, etc) to win while some of the older coaches do not.

Unfortunately, I think Gibbs falls into the category of being more conservative as he gets older. In that Superbowl win over Denver, how many long passes did we see? In the game this past weekend, how many did we see?

I love Gibbs and I love what he's done for the Skins over the years - but I do think time is near where we need to bring in a younger coach who is desperate to win and is willing to do those things to win at almost any cost (Hello Russ Grimm).

As I rehashed the ridiculous loss yesterday against the Giants, I suddenly realized what this team has been missing ever since Gibbs has returned. I respect Coach Gibbs for all of his accomplishments and everything he has ever done for the Washington Redskins and their fans. For crying out loud, the man is in the Hall of Fame. How can you argue with that? Flash forward to present day and taking into consideration what all the fans are saying and have been saying for the last four years since Gibbs II has arrived, I believe also with those that think there is a problem with the coaching staff. the problem is not technical. The problem is not X's and O's. In order for anybody on this board to see what I am talking about they will need a a copy of the Super Bowl win over Denver back in '87. I know not everyone has a copy of it. However, I do know that are some here that do have a copy along with anything else that is Redskins nostalgia. Anyway, for some reason I remember this scene in my mind from the game with the Broncos, so I went and popped in my tape that I recorded from the game years ago. And there it was. It lasts for only 4-6 seconds. Very quick, but very telling. For those of you who have this footage, fast forward to the scene immediately after the commercial break after the Redskins scored their first touchdown on the pass from Williams to Sanders to make the score 10-7 Denver. What I see for a few very brief moments while he is talking, I take that back, being very direct, to assistant coaches in his headset is a Joe Gibbs who is angry, who is sick and tired of being sick and tired of watching his Redskins get smacked around by the Broncos for an entire first quarter, who is fired up after the touchdown, who is demonstrating his control over his entire coaching staff, (hello Al Saunders), who has determination all over his face that things are about to get real ugly for Denver, who is just about to go rip off someones uniform and go out there himself and take Denver apart. I saw all that in a few bright shining seconds. The result? Redskins 42, Broncos 10 and a second world title in five seasons. What is my point? That coach that was on that sideline possessing that fire, is not who we have on the sidelines today folks. Is it his fault? No. The bottom line is that people change. Players change. Organizations change. Rules change. Life changes. Coaches change. Joe Gibbs has changed through no fault of his own. I think we are so enamored and so obsessed with what Gibbs has done and what we expect him to do, that we have failed to realize that he is not capable of being the coach he once was. He means well. He is trying. I don't even think Gibbs himself knows that what was once there is no longer there. The Gibbs of old demanded Redskins football. The Gibbs of today is being demanded of Redskins football. There is a big difference. Things change. It's a fact of life. Joe Gibbs has changed. Whatever happens this year happens...Coach Gibbs is doing his best.

Good read, but wayyyy too much clumped together. I do agree with what you are saying though, but it just seems like Gibbs will never be the same as he was in the 80's, and teams back then don't have the schemes and the players they do today, so things are going to be run differently.....

I posted a reply that basically said the same thing. As we get older, we get more conservative and we are less willing to do the things that make it necessary to win. I also said that the younger coaches today had a better chance of success because they are willing to do ANYTHING (number of hours, innovation, etc) to win while some of the older coaches do not.

Unfortunately, I think Gibbs falls into the category of being more conservative as he gets older. In that Superbowl win over Denver, how many long passes did we see? In the game this past weekend, how many did we see?

I love Gibbs and I love what he's done for the Skins over the years - but I do think time is near where we need to bring in a younger coach who is desperate to win and is willing to do those things to win at almost any cost (Hello Russ Grimm).

You are right. Gibbs is trying to defend his legacy. He's scared to do anything. I wish he would just watch some of the old Redskins video. It's night and day. :doh:

Gibbs right now is the definition of playing not to lose. It makes me sick watching this team in the 2nd half. Back then I used to look forward to it, even losing by 10 points. We'd come back and the other team couldn't do anything about it.

Speaking of the Broncos/Redskins Super Bowl's infamous second quarter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orG2I0WOzfc

HELLO SPORTSFANS!!!!

Man, I remember that like it was yesterday. My best bud was a Broncos fan and he was giving me hell for weeks, he wouldn't shut his trap during the first quarter. Needless to say, he left and stopped watching the game soon after that play. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Paragraphs are you friend. :D

I agree though. We need JG to be more emotional. Right now he may be taking his age into account and sticking around for his grandkids but damn it, we need some emotion. I need to know that he is not okay with that second half performance. And I don't mean just literally saying, "That second half performance was unacceptable." I mean I he will yell when necessary and challenge his players. He is a HOFer and if he gets in their face then they will respond because the have no choice. If the listened to London they will listen to JG much much more.

No Redskin fan is comfortable watching this JG-led team with a lead in the second half because we have yet to see the killer instinct. Yes, we have scored 30+ points in games over the years but that was more the opposing defense playing bad than us imposing our will on the opponent. We need to start taking it to people. I love JG but I'm just praying that he is holding his players accountable. Ladell Betts missed an opportunity on 3rd down (while running CP's touchdown play) and I hope somebody will let him know that he has to do better. I hope somebody lets the D know that 7 consecutive 3rd down conversions are not acceptable. I don't believe in just leaving it to the position and associate head coaches to inspire this team. JG, I hope, will hold his team accountable himself.

That was a Gibbs who was 47 and not 67.

I had an interesting conversation with my dad a few weeks ago. He is 61 and was recently presented with a really really interesting work opportunity. I asked him if he was going to take it and he said, "No. Ten years ago, I would have immediately said yes. But I just don't think I have the energy for it now."

Like so many who thought Gibbs was meek found out the hard way.. our best bet is too never sleep on Gibbs.. Not Gibbs I or Gibbs II(which is a bunch of BS). He is Joe Gibbs 3 time SB Champ. I have seen more fire from him this season than the last 3 seasons combined.

He knows when he has a team that is something special.

I honestly believe this team is better than the 87 SB team.

Archived