Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3 best concerts ever!!!

jaydean

Aerosmith leads my list. I saw them with Dokken(insert joke here) and the lead guitarist of Dokken passed out in the 1st song, so Aerosmith came out and played for almost 3 hours.

Followed by

REM- final show of the Monster tour. Jim Courier amonst others came onstage for the encores which went on forever. They played King of the Road and Radio Free Europe as well as the first verse of Superman.

Billy Joel has always put on a great show as well. If he gets off on a tangent he can play about anything. I saw him in Atlanta play Good Times/Bad Times and Voodoo Child.

i have a relatively small sample size since i've seen the same bands numerous times but....

1) blues traveler. it was awesome. they came to our small cow town college just before they hit it big. only about 600 kids went. they played for about 3 hours and went out drinking with us later.

2) phish. gotta like phish/the dead to appreciate the concert.

3) allman brothers. soooo sweet.

as you can see, i'm typically a fan of "jam" bands and not the typical trendy stuff. have also seen U2, ben harper, rusted root (free ticket, not a great concert), dave matthews, and 4 of the lallapolza tours. rage against the machine was amazing at lallapolza, as were the beastie boys, primus, and george clinton and the pfunk allstars...

Phew.. I guess more of a hard edge metal listener. I would have to say number 1 ...deftones incubus and taproot 2....mudvayne nonpoint and hedpe 3..Nothingface and Stuck Mojo..real aggression type music..but i dig all kinds of music especially technical music..phish is awesome!

kilmer, that's why none of my festivals were counted in my top three. i missed the first one because my parents (i was 14 or 15 at the time) were worried about their young precious baby boy going to a day long festival with friends. judging from what happened at the other lollapoluza's, they may have been right to worry.:cool:

once perry ferrell stopped being in charge of the event, it went downhill in a hurry.

The top three I've seen were:

1) Tracy Chapman at woldftrap- surprisingly good live

2) Indigo Girls - another surprise for me

3) Dillan at the concert that accompanied Clintons inaugeration

With the title, I though it was going to be a rating of which concerts you could go see if you could have seen any concert any time. I was expecting to see Hendrix at woodstock and Simon and garfinkle live in Central Park/

1. Radiohead

The Gorge Ampitheater, Washington State, 2001

Beautiful setting. Radiohead IS that good.

2. Eric Clapton, just after his son died :(, Ohio, 1991. EC laid it down that night. I'd seen him twice previously, but he was incredible that night.

3. The Grateful Dead, playing as "The Warlocks", Hampton Virginia, 1989. They played a lot of old favorites, culminating in the first performance of "Dark Star" in more than 20 years. I'm not a big DeadHead, but that was a great show.

1) Marillion in Pittsburgh, 1997. The night Lady Di was killed.

2) Paul MaCartney

3) Fleetwood Mac (before Buckingham left)

Honerable mention:

Scorpions/Bon Jovi - 1984. This was before Bon Jovi was big. The Scorps were rockin' the 80s. Front row ... leaning on the stage. One of the girls in our group got taken backstage and "met" Rudoph Schenker.

Robert Plant - 1991

Eagles

AC/DC

KISS (saw them at age 13 AND at age 33) Same show!

Hmmmmm. Have seen many of the concerts already mentioned...Loved them. (Aerosmith in 97, Kiss in 96 and on farewell tour....great stuff)...However, for the sake of something.........different.......I'll put in a couple of favorites from my bartending days here in Park City when the groups actually played in the club post concert. (Club officially could have 100 or so people in it)

REO Speedwagon: ( Don't laugh). They played for about an hour and a half or more.... sans Kevin. Played a couple of old songs and covers from other groups....and some Blues. Invited band playing at the time to join them later on..great stuff).

Bonnie Raitt: Touring with Steve Miller at the time. Miller didn't show up but just about the rest of the bands did. Again awsome.

Opening band for UB40 and a couple of members of UB40: Reggae anyone? It was a rare night of country western at the club and we were hating hit. Sloooooooow night. Concert lets out, these guys show up, and for about an hour or so we were hopping.

Kenny Loggins : (again, don't laugh) He didn't sing once, just back up. ( some would say cool). His lead guitarist picked up the vocals and covered some old motown and blues...wow.

:cheers:

Springsteen (any concert any tour-although Darkness on the Edge of Town and River tours were incredible...4+ hour show)

Boston (don't laugh) - my first concert at age 16, at the time the #1 band in America and excellent in concert

Joe Jackson - great talent, very underrated artist

Sorry Park City, I'm laughing! :laugh:

Actually, I saw REO Speedwagon with Billy Squire in the 80's. I remember enjoying the show but, y'know ... oh those concerts in the 80s! At least you didn't see Culture Club (did you?).

:laugh:

Egads no! Cripes. Saw enough of them on MTV back then. :silly: concerts in the 80's........lot's of bandannas and colors. :silly:

Seeing those bands in a different setting was fun though...different music and different attitude.....was fun....

Will add KISS in West Palm Beach Auditorium in 86...( yep....80's concert :laugh: ) And Van Halen in 93 at Wolf Mountain, ( now the Canyons resort)....outdoor concert lliterally on the mountain. great show.

:cheers:

It's funny, you guys are making me remember concerts I had forgotten I'd seen. Crosby Still Nash, Van Halen. Jimmy Buffett.

Hell, I even saw Otis Day and the Nights (of "Animal House" fame) at a huge toga party in college.

Stevie Nicks, Pat Benatar, Peter Frampton, Elton John ...

Archived