Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TB Fans

Eagles_Legendz

Originally posted by gridironmike

Tampa is at least equal to Philly offensively.

If that's the case, then I guess the Eagles actually have the best defense in the league because the Philly O can score against the Bucs, but the Bucs O can't score against the Eagles.

WR - Eagles receivers have more speed and are deep threats. TB has possession receivers that the Eagles secondary specializes in covering.

RB - Pittman is an average back with a little speed and Alstott is too slow to get away from the Eagles front 7. Staley is a bruiser with a bit of speed. Levens is in the same mold. Westbrook is a speed back. All can catch the ball.

OL - no comparison. The Bucs O-line has been weak in the pass, highly susceptible to the Eagles blitz. Eagles O-line has worn down the Bucs repeatedly, allowing McNabb and the running backs to gain yardage. They have also blocked well on screen passes.

QB - Johnson is accurate given time. The Eagles blitz will not give him time primarily because of the weak O-Line and the little respect the Eagles give the Bucs running game. Play action will not succeed. McNabb will not have a lot of time in the pocket, as the Bucs will pressure him. He will be able to make plays on the run and run with the ball.

While the Eagles don't have the offensive weapons that a team liek the Raiders have, they are a more complete offense than TB.

GridironMike,

The Eagles offense is anything but a juggernaut. EVERYONE knows that. Listen: The Bucs have scored ZERO offensive TD's in 3 games against the Birds. ZERO!

- The Bucs defense (make that TEAM) thrives on turnovers and short fields for the offense. McNabb throws very few INT's (though he will fumble) and Duce Staley and Dorsey Levens hardly ever put the ball on the ground.

- The Bucs D-Line is made up of quick, shoot through the gap guys. The Eagles big, physical (yet athletic) line has abused them as of late (SF averaged 4.76 YPC).

- The Bucs have three serviceable big, strong WR's in Me-Shawn, McCardell and Jurevicious. While the Eagles sometimes struggle w/ speed guys (Harrison or J Smith) they usually DOMINATE big, physical WR's.

- Bad backs don't magically heal in three weeks. Look for Johnson to get hit early and often.

- McNabb is a winner. Period. No matter what Theisman and Steve Young try to sell you.

As long as the Eagles don't hand the Bucs two scores w/ turnovers, the home team should win.

The big problem for the Bucs is that they have nothing offensively with which to scare Philly.

The best way to attack the Philly D is to pound the ball at them, and then attack downfield. Tampa does neither of these well.

Philly will eat up their short, ball-control passing game. The only way for Tampa to pull it off is to manufacture points in other areas, i.e., defense or special teams. But, besides defense, the best thing the Eagles have going for them is they don't make the killer mistakes that lose ballgames. They make the other team EARN it.

I don't think Tampa can. And I think the Philly defense and/or special teams will give the Philly O enough to eke out 14-20 points, which should be sufficient.

Short of a McNabb injury (maybe), I don't see the Bucs having much of a chance, particularly in Philly. There are certain matchups that, for whatever reason, are totally one-sided. We've seen that just recently with the Jets-Raiders, with the Raiders holding a 4-0 advantage in matchups just in the last 13 or so months. Bucs-Eagles is such a matchup.

Eagles 27- Bucs 13.

and there's another reason to think Eagles over Bucs, namely that the Super Bowl may feature a better matchup :)

The Bucs to me don't have anything that is going to scare the Raiders and that game could result in Rod Woodson getting the MVP award for 2 interceptions of Brad Johnson :laugh:

I like Jeff Fisher and the Titans grit, but they are just a tad short on talent to beat the Raiders on the road this time around.

the offensive line is not what it was with the losses of Bruce Matthews and Jon Runyan from their last push to a Super Bowl in 1999.

Eddie George is averaging 3.2 yards per carry this season and hasn't shown much big play ability.

On defense the Titans are weak vs. the pass and that is a killer vs. Oakland. Samari Rolle had a real hard time with the Steelers receivers this past week and the Raiders have 3 excellent receivers as well, plus the added dimension of a running back that can turn the corner on a defense in Garner.

No, the Eagles are the best matchup for the Raiders because they have 3 good cover corners, a good pass rush to flush Gannon and an offense with McNabb that is unpredictable enough to keep the Raiders off balance.

What bulldog said. Philly-Oakland in the Super Bowl would be off the hook! Too bad the game couldn't be hosted at either team's stadium, or else at a neutral (disposable) site with the tix split 50-50 to all their normal fans.

This is what one row would look like:

:alcoholic :asta: :hammer: :evil: :high: :stick: :cheers:

Originally posted by redman

What bulldog said. Philly-Oakland in the Super Bowl would be off the hook! Too bad the game couldn't be hosted at either team's stadium, or else at a neutral (disposable) site with the tix split 50-50 to all their normal fans.

This is what one row would look like:

:alcoholic :asta: :hammer: :evil: :high: :stick: :cheers:

It would be hilarious to see the Black Hole vs the 700 level. Half and half in the stadium. Birdman vs Darth Vadar.

What do the Eagles have to scare the Bucs D (what did the Pats have to scare the Rams last year)? McNabb??? They handled Vick just fine, TWICE (not to mention Garcia). Staley. Nope. You don't think the Bucs D can get them the ball at the opponent's twenty. Anyhow, why aren't you Eagles and Bucs fans discussing this on your boards?

What do the Eagles have to scare the Bucs D (what did the Pats have to scare the Rams last year)? McNabb??? They handled Vick just fine, TWICE (not to mention Garcia). Staley. Nope. You don't think the Bucs D can get them the ball at the opponent's twenty. Anyhow, why aren't you Eagles and Bucs fans discussing this on your boards?

Why do you care? It's not like I'm bothering anyone here. Besides, I've been here too long now, I'm SURE everyone will miss me if I leave. ;) gridiron, if all you say is true, then why did the Eagles score 21, 31, and 20 points in their last three meaningful games against the Bucs? I don't expect many full field drives by either team, but I expect the Eagles D to completely dominate TB, enabling the Eagles O to have short fields to work with much of the game.

The Eagles don't have an offense to light the Bucs D up. That is clear.

The thing the Eagles offense does best, though, is protect the ball and not make mistakes, thereby not putting its D in bad position. Reid runs a pretty conservative attack. They can do this because they rarely fall behind by enough for the offense to have to take chances. They can just grind away, make a few plays, and watch their D take it from there.

It's not the stuff of brilliance, but there is no denying its efficacy.

I will be totally suprised if the Eagles don't lay a serious spanking on the Bucs. The only way I see the Bucs pulling off the upset is if they get 2 td's on defense and/or special teams. It will start off close but Philly's lines will beat up on Tampa'a lines. McNabb is confident that he's 100% healed and he's had another week to practice. Brad Johnson, on the other hand, will be lucky to see the third quarter. Besides, They are calling for daytime highs of like 30 with lower wind chills, and it's the last game at the vet. The Bucs need a miracle.

Archived