Who was the Player of the Game?  

285 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the Player of the Game?

• Randle El
    • Rocky McIntosh
    • Clinton Portis/Ladell Betts
    • Sean Suisham
    • Other

After attending the stadium on a few occasions, I'm able to decipher the sound coming from the 'Stomp Zone'...sounds deafening ... You'll also notice how the game cameras shake when the crowd is really into it... I absolutely love what I saw & heard today. Can't wait for home game #2 so the fans are wanting more...The best thing was the drive coming out of 2nd half going for the TD...It is typical to see FedEx looking sparse after halftime but I'm sure the patrons rushed back to their seats as they heard the noise increase...

It was OK out there today. Loud, but not as loud as opening day usually is. If this is any indication, it is a down year for noise level as the openers are usually the loudest. I know I did my part, the rest of you prove me wrong.....please.

I thought that we did a damn good job today. At times, the sound was incredibly loud. I know that I did my part by screaming, clapping, stomping, harassing Dolphins fans ....

It was OK out there today. Loud, but not as loud as opening day usually is. If this is any indication, it is a down year for noise level as the openers are usually the loudest. I know I did my part, the rest of you prove me wrong.....please.

I was representing in Section 226 ... I lost my voice so I know I did my job

I'm guessing the lines at consessions and bathrooms were quite long at halftime because the television coverage showed a stadium around half full AT BEST at the 2nd-half kickoff.

Its always like that acually

A few rows behind me there were people sitting on their hands on 3rd downs, not makina a peep, iturned aroud and looked em all in the face and yelled "at least clap to make some noise" they made noise

Then this guy about 6 rows in front of us, late in the game, everyone was quiet, he stand up and turns around "come on offense , clap clap clap clap clap" so i yell

"were supposed to be QUIET on offense ******* " lol some people r idiots

12th Man is b a c k....................; however, I did see a few fans not yelling down by the field on TV..............hum.............why is that? Area 51 and all of the 400 seats, I heard you outside of my house!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to represent!!!!!!!

Keep it up, the "D" needs the 12th man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was pretty loud up in the club level where I was. One thing that bothered me though was the amount of noise when we were on offense. There was way too much.

Its because of the jerkoffs like the guy 6 rows in front of me (see my last post in this thread"

I may get flamed for saying this, but I wouldn't say it if it were not something I have observed at a game at FedEx. The last game I went to was vs. Atlanta Falcons (12/03/2006). My wife and I were sitting in the stratosphere (400 row) in the next to last row and I heard something a little off and that I thought was against NFL rules. If it's not, please accept my apologies. And please keep in mind that I LOVE the Redskins and have loved the team since I was 7 in 1982.

What I heard was ARTIFICAL CROWD NOISE being fed through the speakers. I work in broadcasting and have a pretty good knowledge of how audio works, having produced commercials, with the all bells and whistles, for the last decade. The sound was not coming at me from all angles, it was coming at me from directly behind. The speakers were right above and behind me and the sound of crowd noise was quite noticeably not coming from my fellow fans. And despite the fact there were probably 87,000 people at the game on this particular day, the Db (decibels: a measurement of audio), as I said, was too loud.

Sound moves in waves, as most of you know. Think of it like throwing a pebble in a pond. The impact point of the rock onto the water will create a lot of ripples close together. And as the ripples travel out, the distance between each grows until they eventually fizzle out. Sound is a lot like that, as evidenced by the fact that the closer one is to a source of audio, the louder it is. Conversely, the farther away, it is either less audible or not audible at all.

Now why did I tell you that? To explain to you why I heard crowd noise pumped through the public address system at FedEx. If the sound I had heard was from the crowd, it would've been like many rocks hitting the "pond" at once, creating, for the lack of a better word, a stereophonic effect where the sound was coming at you from many directions.

Now granted, it wasn't like there was no noise from the crowd at all, but it was dramatically drowned out by speakers, much like being at home when dad and son are watching TV with the volume way up, while mom or daughter are on the phone. If the TV is at 95vu (volume unit) and mom is talking on the phone at 40vu, what source of audio do you think will be easier to hear? You will still be able to hear mom, but it will pushed in the background, which is what happened to me at FedEx Field.

Additionally, Washington started off with an early 14 point lead, but ended up losing the game due to some poor play on both sides of the ball in the second half. I remember that the sound of the crowd noise never wavered, despite the fact that a large faction was also sending out some emotional boos. While not completely impossible, it still seems unlikely that the crowd, which was quite disgusted (me included) over the quality of play, would still be cheering with the same level of verbosity as the beginning. All of these things lead me to believe it was fake.

Why do I bring this up? For a couple of reasons. I watched about 3 quarters of the game today at a local sports pub, before I had to go to work. I counted about 15 Skins fans there. I was kind of sad to see that most of them, save but me and this other guy, weren't cheering with a lot of emotion and seemed to be there only out of obligation or some other reason. I don't want to call another person's loyalty to their team into question, but when I see a large group of Steelers fans on the side of the bar cheering and screaming and high-fiving, and we're just kind of there, maybe Danny-Boy is right to pump in noise. Now I know the most of the people here are "hardcore" burgundy and gold. They paint their houses with team colours, have 20 jerseys dating back to Billy Kilmer, Art Monk, Mark Rypien and even Heath Shuler and have the Redskins Marching Band play at their wedding receptions. Most of y'all have been fans for 20, 30, 40...hell, 50 or 60 years.

What I see happening, though, is that a lot of people who go to a game these days want to go with the luxury boxes, loge seats or club seats. You're not going to see some guy wearing a tie to the game sitting in section 434, seat 17, row 29. And yeah, there were those types back in the day at RFK, but even the "fanciest" sections at RFK would not have anything on FedEx Field's glitz and comfort. So instead of a stadium where 52 or 53 thousand were hardcore fans, and the other 2 or 3 thousand were there not to see, but to be seen, you've got a LOT of people who meet the second criteria I just stated.

Oh yeah, FedEx is big and cool to see on TV, but for one thing, the fact that it is so big, kind of hurts its ambience. RFK was like a deep cavern. The rollercoaster canopy at the top of the stadium, the stands being so close to the field and just the overall size of the stadium, made it one of the loudest, if not THE LOUDEST in the NFL. Think of it like playing football in a bathroom. The walls and people are so close together in a small setting, the sound acts like the analogy I used about the pebble thrown into the pond, except instead of just one, it's many pebbles, where the ripples overlap each other. The noise just keeps bouncing from one side of the stadium to the other side. RFK was a huge homefield advantage which was lost forever.

And as I said, I don't mean to start something here. I would never say this just to cause trouble. I love my Redskins, I do. It's just a bit disturbing to me that FedEx Field uses artifical noises to raise the sound level. Heck, I even heard one of those cans with the compressed air (bullhorn?) in the speakers. Next time you go to a game and sit in the nosebleed sections (especially in the last four of five rows), listen very hard and see if you can't make it out.

HTTR

J Thomas, I don't know whether it was the Falcons game, but I do recall a game last season where there was definitely artificial noise.....there was a thread about it and others noticed it. I didn't hear any artificial noise today, but from time to time I would see these random messages on the videotron like "The Redskins fans are the best in the NFL" and "Its good to get loud." Then toward the end of the game after one of CP's jaunts they'd show a FedEx ad with the phrase "Nice run." Just very nonsensical to me.

Archived