Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comedian's Show Halted In Doral Over N-Word (Eddie Griffin Cut Off Over Profanities)

#98QBKiller

Good for them. People for a long time have asked the Black Community to stand up and stop using the word themselves if it is so offensive.

Now they are, and people are calling them out for it. Weird.

I don't agree with many things that groups like the NAACP do, but making a conscious effort to end the use of the word between back people is a great move.

Good job.

Its a different word with a different spelling. Not the same word.

Its a different word with a different spelling. Not the same word.

Clearly it is not, because if I used the word as a white person (even if I spelled it different) I would probably get my butt kicked. If it is a different word with a different spelling then why does it matter who uses it.

"Biatch" is still "b*tch" even though the spelling is different.

All I am saying is that white people have said for years "if the 'N word' is so bad why do black people use it all the time." Parts of the black community seem to be taking a stand and deciding they will not accept the word to be used by anyone, black as well. Good for them.

Clearly it is not, because if I used the word as a white person (even if I spelled it different) I would probably get my butt kicked. If it is a different word with a different spelling then why does it matter who uses it.

"Biatch" is still "b*tch" even though the spelling is different.

All I am saying is that white people have said for years "if the 'N word' is so bad why do black people use it all the time." Parts of the black community seem to be taking a stand and deciding they will not accept the word to be used by anyone, black as well. Good for them.

Well the reason you would get beat up is because of selected hearing. Read what I wrote earlier in the thread about the word niggardly. The black community has far bigger problems it should address than a slang word that carries a different meaning than the derogatory term. Personally I don't use it, but then again I don't use much slang either. However it doesn't bother me as many of my friends say it.

Think about it, what is going to change if you stop everyone from using the word? Nothing. What happens if you make a significant dent in teen pregnacy, the deteriation of the family unit, improve education, teach people the value of money?

Well the reason you would get beat up is because of selected hearing. Read what I wrote earlier in the thread about the word niggardly. The black community has far bigger problems it should address than a slang word that carries a different meaning than the derogatory term. Personally I don't use it, but then again I don't use much slang either. However it doesn't bother me as many of my friends say it.

Think about it, what is going to change if you stop everyone from using the word? Nothing. What happens if you make a significant dent in teen pregnacy, the deteriation of the family unit, improve education, teach people the value of money?

I was not talking about the word niggardly – I was talking about the N-word. The article did not say which one he used, I figured it was the N-word. Maybe not.

I agree with you on the point that there are bigger problems in the black community than a single word and those things need to be addressed.

But what does that have to do with people in the black community deciding that they find the N-word extremely offensive and don’t want it to be used? Why can’t they stand up for this as well as work on issues? Should they have said, “Man, I find that word really offensive and I wish people would stop saying it, but I won’t say anything because teen pregnancy is really a bigger problem.” No – you kick the guy off stage like they did. Good for them.

I think the movement to end the use of the N-word is not really about that one word. It is a bigger idea. It is a conscious effort by members of the black community to stop the self degradation in the black community and replace it with positive self images for young African Americans.

But I agree with you – there are bigger problems.

Before he became ill, Pryor had an epiphany and stopped using the n-word in his acts. I just can't understand the use of that word by blacks.

Richard Pryor on the N-word (NSFW language)

As far as my stance on the N-word, I lived in a predominately hispanic and black neighborhood for a lot of my youth and beyond. I was taught, not by my parents but by the old heads in the neighborhood (both black and hispanic) on the idea that the N-word symbolizes the struggle of black America and that they, and only they, have earned the right to use that word, through their trials and tribulations. I still believe that and I dislike any other minority using the word. And don't even get me started on my fellow young white kids using it.

It's one of those things that just is what it is. You might not like it but it's best to just ignore it and move on to more pressing issues then whether a black guy should use the word. Now if you're black it's a different story as this affects your community.

Now I'm sure all sorts of people are going to come in and say, "it affects all us. We are all Americans." That's nice and everything but that's not true and I don't think that should be true. Throughout history race has defined us. To lose sight of your race is to lose sight of your heritage and where you came from. Thus, I don't believe in a color-blind society. I do think we need to realize that while race seperates us on some things in the end, we are all humans first and must look out for each other, regardless of race.

I'm sure this will make sense to someone. The rest of you will probably just ignore it or post a little one-liner in an attempt to make me look stupid. It's whatever.

I was not talking about the word niggardly – I was talking about the N-word. The article did not say which one he used, I figured it was the N-word. Maybe not.

I agree with you on the point that there are bigger problems in the black community than a single word and those things need to be addressed.

But what does that have to do with people in the black community deciding that they find the N-word extremely offensive and don’t want it to be used? Why can’t they stand up for this as well as work on issues? Should they have said, “Man, I find that word really offensive and I wish people would stop saying it, but I won’t say anything because teen pregnancy is really a bigger problem.” No – you kick the guy off stage like they did. Good for them.

I think the movement to end the use of the N-word is not really about that one word. It is a bigger idea. It is a conscious effort by members of the black community to stop the self degradation in the black community and replace it with positive self images for young African Americans.

But I agree with you – there are bigger problems.

The point I was trying to make with the word niggardly is that it to has caused problems, just because is sounds like a derogatory word. The fact is the N word with a A has is spelled differently and carries a entirly different meaning than the n word with a er. But just because they sound a like, people are up in arms about it. If people want to try and ban it, to me it is stupid, but he this is America and everyone has the right to be stupid,including me since some will agree with me and some will disagree. It doesn't affect me since I don't use it.

But back to the original topic, EG was basically used to make a point. I honestly feel he was purposly chosen and then later embarresed because this group wanted to make a statement and get publicity. The little "speech" given after he was "pulled" off stage was a little to well prepared. In my opinion, the crabs in a bucket syndrome strikes again.

I hate to admit it, but there are no national black leaders anymore. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton will never speak for me. Hell the NAACP got rid of Kwasi Mafume as soon as they started making money again. Probably because he wanted full accounting on every dime spent. Thankfully my mentor is someone I can look up to, respect, and ask for advice. But it would be nice to see someone who is not a complete idiot come to the national stage and not have some crazy ass agenda and focus on real issues the African Americans face and how to confront them and turn them around. Talk to me about how to lower the teen prgnancy rate, get the idea of family back in peoples minds, raise education and teach people the real value of money such as why buying a house is much more important than riding a late model car on 24's. That would be a leader I would want to hear from.

So if you're black, why don't YOU become that person? What's to stop you?

Archived