Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The New Police State

carlsbadd

Yeah, this is law enforcement running amok. I wouldn't mind if they waited in parking lots to see which people staggered to their cars before acting, or even targeted bars with repeat problems with fights, etc, but giving sobriety tests to ordinary bar patrons is stupid and intrusive.

What's next, going to hospitals and citing medicated patients for public intoxication? What do you expect to find in bars, sober people?

Its the problem with this new notion of pre-emptive law eforcement. Its impossible to prove its effectiveness and it abuses the relationship between government and citizens. Whoever thought this stunt up should be demoted if not fired.

Uh, Jack, Fairfax is liberal, not conservative. It's Democratic, not Republican. But, I'm sure you know that. To be honest, I don't generally have a problem with this type of policing tactic myself. My problem is there's nothing wrong with drinking and the cops need to shut the hell up and let the party go a little :).

Blame the perpetrators, not the police. Alcohol is involved in 50% of all auto accidents in Virginia.

When your daughter or wife is killed by a drunk driver, you may feel differently.

Lives are more important than fun.

I'm glad to see the cops cracking down on alcohol. It's one of the biggest murderers in the U.S.

Yes, I believe the policy goes overboard a little bit, but at least it means well.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Yes, I believe the policy goes overboard a little bit, but at least it means well.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I detest drunk drivers as much as you do. They're not targeting drunk drivers but rather bar patrons, and not even "drunk" ones in the traditional sense. Some of my favorite bars in my life have been walking distance from where I lived. WTF is with ticketing people who may have walked or cabbed to the bar, or who may have done another right thing in arranging for a designated driver?

The problem with this type of enforcement is that it is very easy to abuse. I have first-hand (actually, second hand as I witnessed such an event) knowledge of abuse of such tactics by Faifax County Police Officers (who, as I understand it, are considered among the finest when it comes to issues like these)

while I'm not enthused about this either....if you go back and reread the article you will see that the impact fell on 4 establishments with a track record for altercations and (...by implication) excessive pubic intoxication. patrons were not targeted at the other (what 17?) watering holes where there wasn't a demonstrated propensity for violence. the exercise of the principle may be farfetched...but it doesn't appear that this was done in a haphazard, thoughtless manner.

Archived