Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So what if we have the #5 defense.....?

UK Skins

All these stats some of you are so big on don't mean much. Too many variables(field position, offense and ST performance, etc.). The D did not play like a top 10 D when it faced formidable opponents. The D did have some very good games against bad and/or inexperienced QB's. Good qb's had their way with the Skins D. Why? Because it couldn't produce a consistent pass rush. Farve, Garcia, McNabb...those types of guys will always have their way with us if we can't pressure them. We had some sacks, but they were usually against bad teams. What I remember more is opposing QB's having a lot of time to find an open wr. Now, we have an even older Smith to deal with, Big Daddy with a serious injury and maybe not coming back, and we still don't know if Gardener's back will hold up. We do have a couple of young guys like Jackson and Powell that have shown promise, but they're small and we really don't know if they're starter material. There are almost never good DE's available if free agency and when there are they want a zillion $$, so we have to draft a DE in the first and dline depth in the mid to later rounds. If we don't, our D will look terrible against good qb's next year. I don't care if we have a probowler at every position in the back 7(we practically do), if we can't produce a pass rush with the front 4, we'll never shut good offenses down.

Also, I totally agree w/ ASF's statement about ML misusing Lavar. Matching Lavar up against guys 50 or more pounds heavier than him play after play is just stupid and will affect his speed and agility in time. If we had a good DE, that wouldn't be necessary. To answer your first question ASF, to me ML failed considering what he had to work with, and I'll be glad when he's gone and Edwards is hopefully promoted to DC.

I think the lack of a pass-rush should be left to a completely separate thread - that's something else a lot of us have strong feelings about. Personally I think if you put pressure on the opposing QB you force him to throw quicker, which produces more incompletions, creates more turnovers and ends up with us winning more games.

As many of you have put better this is something that we haven't done consistently for (maybe) ten years.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

A true "Top 5" defense would minimize opposition points in these situations, more often than not. The fact that the Redskins D didn't, more often than not, speaks volumes. It just wasn't a shutdown D.

And, how often was the D able to give the offense similar scoring opportunities? I don't recall too many. It works both ways.

Think about it. Without the turnovers and mistakes, and with a little more offensive production, we would be #2 or #3. The D struggled early but came on strong once they got comfortable in the system.

Really, there aren't many true "shutdown Ds". What few there have been are very rare. It's like saying "I want back to back Superbowl wins". We all want it but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If we can field an offense that can sustain drives and put up a bunch of points like Spurrier wants, the D can begin to tee off on opposing offenses. Our D can get some rest and force other teams into a one dimentional passing game. That is why I think Safety, not the more sexy D End position needs the most help on D. A blitz without good coverage is just an invitation for the other team to make a big play.

Originally posted by Mad Mike

That is why I think Safety, not the more sexy D End position needs the most help on D. A blitz without good coverage is just an invitation for the other team to make a big play.

I find both positions to be equal in need. Getting a better defensive end would allow Bruce to rest more and in turn, become a better pass rusher. It would also minimize the amount of times LaVar would have to get down in a three point stance, or rush the passer. Which could free up more opportunities for him to make plays in the open field or help out in coverage aganist TE's(which we still seem to need help with).

Basically, anytime you fill a need on defense it opens up more possibilities in other areas.

GaSkinsFan said:

"Matching Lavar up against guys 50 or more pounds heavier than him play after play is just stupid and will affect his speed and agility in time."

Lawrence Taylor was 6'4 and 240 pounds. Lavar is 6'3" and 247 (according to nfl.com)

LT did OK at his light weight. Ask Joe Jacoby ...

The talk about poor LaVar getting worn out against offensive tackles is bunk.

Besides LT, Derrick Thomas was the same size as LaVar. Kevin Greene, too. Joey Porter might be a good current example. Even full-time defensive ends like Johnny Abraham and Jason Taylor have to deal with the same difference in size all the time. Don't give me the arguement about Abraham's and Taylor's listed weights. I read an article about Taylor this season, and even he admits that his real playing weight is less than 250lbs.

Until the Skins acquire someone else, Arrington is the best pass rusher the Skins have. Period. How could Lewis not use him in that role? Is LaVar more comfortable playing more of a pure linebacker role? Sure. But Lewis asked him to take one for the team. I don't think that's out of line. It's not something that LaVar isn't cabable of.

A good defense usually has at least 2 premier defensive linemen. The Skins currently have one, assuming they re-sign Gardener. (The '91 Skins were an exception. They had Charles Mann and a bunch of role players. But they had unusual depth which is unlikely to be duplicated in this age of free agency.) The Skins need to re-sign Gardener and find themselves a real good pass rusher, most likely in the draft.

But it might not be as dire as some indicate. The Skins did rank #9 in sacks, surprisingly enough. They seemed to get a lot more heat on passers in the second half of the season as players became more comfortable with the defense and each other.

The Skins need better special teams and more playmaking on offense to give the defense some help. That's the priority, in my opinion. But the Skins still might end up drafting a defensive lineman in the first round because that's what the talent available could dictate. But they must improve on offense and special teams.

lavar's longevity? you're kidding right? he plays in the most violent sport imaginable and you're concerned whether he will be around in 10 years? who cares? the players know this - that's why they negotiate for guaranteed bonuses, etc. the objective is and has been to win in a very narrow time frame; saving for tomorrow doesn't make much sense. lavar was forced to play a different role to compensate for weaknesses elsewhere. once he learned his responsibilities and adopted a team concept vice the pretty for television big hit, he had his best season ever. but...you're right....ML totally misused him....that's why he's going to the pro-bowl with his most sacks ever.

as I recall.....last year when he was used "more intelligently" didn't he miss a game or two due to leg injuries? he didn't miss any games this season. in a sport like football arguiing about injuries flowing from player positioning is crazy.....by all appearances they happen at any time, from any angle, without much predictability. it would appear that the facts aren't there to support the claim. while on the subject....how was lavar's productivity last year so much better than this years? no one has really made the case yet.....

Yank said: "Lawrence Taylor was 6'4 and 240 pounds. Lavar is 6'3" and 247 (according to nfl.com)

LT did OK at his light weight. Ask Joe Jacoby ..."

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but didn't LT make his sacks blitzing from the LB position, something by the way I think lavar could be good at. I don't remember LT ever lining up in a 3 point stance across from Jacoby. Maybe Tom or someone could verify this.

Look, I'm not saying Lavar sucked this year, but I do think he would have made a lot more plays if someone else was rushing the passer, and he was doing what he does best, flying around in open space making hits, intercepting passes, and causing fumbles. Isn't that what Ray Lewis did in ML's system? What I remember of Lavar this year is lining up against opposing OT's and then running right into them, becoming engulfed and removed from the play. Once every game or 2 he would get around them and get a sack. That's not what we need from the guy who's supposed to be our biggest playmaker on D. Yeah he made the probowl b/c of his sacks, but I don't think he was as big of an impact player for us as he was last year. Someone said he took one for the team b/c they didn't have anyone else to rush the QB. Well that makes sense, but it doesn't make sense to do it again next year instead of picking up a legit pass rusher.

LT rushed the passer like 99% of the time in passing situations. You are correct, however, that LT rarely, if ever, rushed from a 3-point stance. But it was a completely difference defensive scheme.

Again, LaVar is currently the best pass rusher on the team. If you want to make comparisons to the Ravens' defense, I think you have to realize that LaVar wasn't playing Ray Lewis' role. He was playing Peter Boulware's role. Boulware played strongside linebacker on running downs, and lined up in a 3-point stance on passing downs. He also had double figure sacks nearly every year.

It's certainly debatable, but Lewis belief was that you can get better leverage and a quicker start from a 3-point stance than standing up. It took LaVar a few games to get used to it. He also got better and better as the season went on.

If the Skins had two demon passers already at defensive end, I'm sure LaVar would have been able to concentrate on more pure linebacker duties. That wasn't the case, however.

Archived