Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone ever fly with a garment bag?

Slateman

So, I just got out of Marine Corps Recruit Training. Actually, my boot leave is ending, and I have to fly to NC for further training.

I have to report in to the Officer of the Day in what is known as Service Alphas. Basically, its a suit. But I can't fly in said uniform. I have to keep it in my garment bag (known as a body bag).

Anyway, how would ya'll suggest I fly with said body bag? Check it as luggage? Carry on? (I will already have one carry on bag)

On work travel I take my garment bag on board. Tell the flight attendants greeting you at the door you want to hang it, and they'll hang it in a closet up front for you. No fuss no muss.

What he said. Most are pretty cool about that stuff.

Now go out there and recruit some poor, disadvantaged kids for the Corps :laugh:

On work travel I take my garment bag on board. Tell the flight attendants greeting you at the door you want to hang it, and they'll hang it in a closet up front for you. No fuss no muss.

That works so long as there is room in the upfront closet, but is a gamble if it is full. Airlines (used to) provide cardboard boxes that were made for military garment bags, If you get one of those you can check your bag and should have no preblems.

I fly cross country at least once a month for the past few years and haven't seen one of those recently though. I switched to a semi-rigid garment bag (the type that folds in half) and check it and have had no problems with it. The soft ones the military provides get all mangled up when they are checked (unless in one of the cardboard boxes).

That works so long as there is room in the upfront closet, but is a gamble if it is full.

Agreed. Just wanted to note that while maybe I've just been lucky, in 20 years or so of traveling 2-3 times a year I've never run into that. Still, best to be prepared.

I fly with my uniforms in a garment bag all the time. There's no way to keep them perfect inside there, might as well check them. The airport when you arrive should have a USO if it's in a military town, they would probably be able to help you out with an iron or steamer.

Archived