Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Jeremy Shockey the most overrated player in the history of the NFL?

G.Smitty

I will start this off by saying that I think Shockey is one of the top 5 tight ends in the league. His numbers this year were good and he was a major part of the Giants offensive resurgence this year.

But with that being said, I have never seen a player receive so much hype by the media in the history of pro sports.

Today while I was watching Amani Toomer torch the 49ers secondary for 136 yards all I kept hearing was how Jeremy Shockey is so tenacious, and how he is drawing all the coverage away so Toomer can operate in open space. While Tiki Barber was running for 115 yards, all I heard was how Shockey was doing such a great job blocking, and getting into the 49ers head with his fiery attitude. While Kerry Collins was throwing for 342 yards and 4 TD's I kept hearing Shockey's name. So I cheked the stats at the end of game assuming that Shockey had 342 receiving yards and 4 tds. But he didn't. His stats were actually 7 receptions for 68 yards. Not bad, not too shabby at all. But not in the league of 49ers dynamic tight end Eric Johnson who amassed 78 yards on 8 catches. Funny though, I don't remember hearing any stories about Eric Johnson all game. It is almost as if everything that the Giants do offensively should be attributed to the greatness of Jeremy Shockey.

But lo and behold. Jeremy Shockey does make some mistakes, when he dropped the ball in the back of the endzone in the 4th quarter the first comment out of Collinsworth's mouth was "I don't think I've ever seen Shockey drop a ball". Seemingly disregarding the drop that Shockey had earlier in the game when Collinsworth stated "that incompletion is on Shockey, he has to make that catch".

It seems even when he does something moronic like throwing ice into the stands it is welcomed. Oh there goes Shockey causing trouble again. But everyone loves it. When Michael Westbrook was video taped pounding on Stephen Davis he was crucified for it, and rightly so. But when Jeremy Shockey started fighting with a veteran teammate during training camp it was just his fiery attitude that was infecting the team, actually improving the team each time he shoved and swung at his teammates.

My rant against Jeremy Shockey has already gone on for too long. However I would just like to point out one more thing before I end this post.

Here are the numbers of two tight ends in the league. Both are white males, 22 years old. One is revolutionizing the way the game of football is being played, the other is only known by avid football fans.

Tight end 1: 74 receptions for 994 yards (12.1 YPC) and 2 touchdowns.

Tight end 2: 68 receptions for 836 yards (12.3 YPC) and 6 touchdowns.

Quite comparable. Darn near identical. Tight end # 1 is Jeremy Shockey and tight end # 2 is Todd Heap.

Jeremy Shockey is my new enemy in pro football, it looks like Deion is not coming back. The throne had been left vacant for a while, I believe Jeremy Shockey will be there until he retires.

That is all.

I'm more or less with you on this one. There's no doubt that the kid is really, really talented. But we seem to be forgetting that there are other TEs in the league putting up numbers just as good. Hell, two years ago, Tony Gonzalez caugh 93 balls for 1203 yards. Hell, Shannon Sharpe has gone over 1000 yards receiving several times in his career, and even at age 34 caught 61 balls. Certainly Shockey's production is impressive, and all the more so coming from a rookie. But let's not be so quick to call him the next coming just because he has an attitude.

I hate Shockey with a passion, and I think he gets too much hype, but if you are going to talk about most overrated, maybe that award would have to go to his teammate Jason Sehorn.

The ending of the game was eerily similar to a MNF game in 97' where the Eagles played Dallas. Lining up for the game winning 24 yard field goal, the Eagles holder Tommy Hutton botches it. Cowboys win= me breathing into a paper bag for hours.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on this one.

shockey has the kind of raw talent that comes along every once in 3 or four years. He's a rookie. With a year in this system he'll be amazing. If he doesn't pan out I'll look dumb as f#ck, but I can't remember a player looking this good this early.

He has so much versatility, he blocks, he catches, he runs. He runs over people. For all the hatred he stirs in the opposition, he instills a desire for victory in his teammates and that renders him invaluable. Ask his teamates, he's something special.

-DB

Todd Heap had a better performance in the Monday nighter this year vesus the Broncos than I've seen from Shockey all year, however, Shockey is a player with Lavar/Vick type physical tools in the absolutely freakish category. That being said, he also has a knack for coming up with big plays in key situations today's game notwithstanding. Thus, I understand the hype surrounding Shockey and do believe that he is going to be the best tight end in football for a long time, but it is getting a little excessive.

I think his attitude will just rub people in the wrong way, up to the point where everyone in the NFL (except Giants fans, because he's got just the right attitude for them, mainly because he fits that New Yawk moniker) will eventually get pissed with him. He'll be like Bill Lambier (sp?) was with the Detroit Pistons, only w/o the constant hacking, and throwing of elbows. :laugh:

I don't think "overrated" is the right word. I would put him in the top 3 TEs as a weapon and that's pretty impressive for a rookie.

Over-hyped? Definately.

Over-abundant ego? Of course. This guy seems to revel in rubbing people the wrong way, be it teammates or the opposition. He certainly marches to the beat of his own drum. Is it intentional to get press or is he really a wild, crackpot with lots of talent ... who knows?

Originally posted by Eagles_Legendz

I hate Shockey with a passion, and I think he gets too much hype, but if you are going to talk about most overrated, maybe that award would have to go to his teammate Jason Sehorn.

The thing with Sehorn is he was bad enough before he had all those knee injurys, now hes just pathetic, i feel sorry for the guy, hes so slow now, he has no recovery speed. hes probably too slow to play safety nowdays.

his interception was quality though, great hands still! Maybe he should beef up 50lbs and become a pass catching TE, hes too slow for a WR

My take:

Every time I watch Shockey (which, mostly, means against us: I have tunnel vision) my thought is : "Where do we get one of those?"

I'm not impressed with his showboating. But, I like the fact that he's willing to fight for the ball. (And the fact that he usually wins the fight).

That's the same thing that impressed me about Brian Mitchell.

As to the media reaction: I don't know how much of the G-men's success was due to SF concentrating on Shockey. That's the kind of thing that doesn't show on TV. (Similar effect: If Darrell (or some other, more famous, cover corner) is shutting down his man, you won't see it on TV, because TV only shows the guy who gets thrown at.)

Yeah, now that I read some of the replies I agree that over-hyped is probably the right term. He is overrated, but the hype surrounding him is what bothers me the most.

shockey has the kind of raw talent that comes along every once in 3 or four years.

I do find that statement kind of ridiculous though. A guy with Shockey's talent comes along every three or four years? please. From this years draft Julius Peppers has more raw talent than Shockey. Last year both Vick and Tomlinson came along with that rare ability. Lots of people say the same thing about Arrington. I think if this guy wasn't a loud mouth playing in the largest market in the league he would be as well known as Todd Heap.

As far as Sehorn goes, he was the most overrated/over hyped player in the league for a while but now I notice announcers taking little pot shots at him. They obviously blame it on the injuries, but they don't think he's the god of all DB's anymore.

Are you guys kidding me? He is only a rookie. He is only going to get better with more experience. What other tight end could make a catch like the one he made for 20 yards while at the same time getting drilled? Hey, of course he makes mistakes and drops passes. Everyone does no matter how good they are. I've seen Jerry Rice drop a few but he is no less great. I am not comparing him to Rice but Shockey is that d@mn good. He has a passion for football and that is where his attitude comes out. People hate him because he is so competitive. I am sure if he was on the Redskins, you guys would be loving it. If he was on the 49er's, their fans would be loving him. And you know what? I am sooooooo happy that he is going to be a Giant for at least the next four years and hopefully, a lot longer than that.

As far as Sehorn, give the guy a break. There are about five if that CB's that can cover Owens one on one. You are judging his performance on how he played against the best WR in the league? Honestly, Sehorn should not be a corner any longer. He should be a FS. But saying Sehorn is bad based on him covering Owens is a bit unfair. That being said, Sehorn definitely has lost a lot. But, I want him on the Giants still because he can still do one thing very well and that is intercept the ball. Whenever it is within his reach, he makes the pick. I just hope he goes to safety quietly. Plus a pay cut.

Whats the difference between what Shockey says and what Sharpe says? its one and the same to me. Add to that the fact that Shockey enjoys running over people, and thats going to distinguish him from guys like Gonzales and Sharpe. I think this guy was a real find for the Giants. Congrats to them.

And guys, that interception by sehorn in the game was amazing. Champ bailey has not made a play like that all year. Smoot has one interception that was close.

The guy can still play.

Vick did not have the immediate impact that shockey is having. Granted vick is playing QB, but he got into a few games. As a rookie, shockey is quickly asserting himself as one of the top TE's in the league. And there is no way he knows the whole playbook right now. It's scary how good he is. That just doesn't happen.

When you add onto the athleticsim that attitude, he's going to be priceless to the giants organization. Shockey is an arrogant fool, but he is no prima donna. I don't think the difference is lost on his teamates. The guy wants to win, and seems to be a team player. As he grows up and begins to channell that attitude into a leadership role withing the organization, he'll be a real force on and off the field.

-DB

Jeremy Shockey is the biggest JA in the NFL. He talent doesn't support his act. I remember sitting at FedEx Field this year next to a Giants fan when Shockey made a catch over the middle for 6 yards on first down. He jumped up and danced like he just won the Super Bowl. The Giants fans started screaming, "oh what a catch"!

I told them I've seen Zeron Flemister make that play so give me a break on that great catch crap.

I hope someone breaks his leg. (on a legal hit of course, because of that players desire to be competitive) The NFL doesn't need that kind of crap.

Jeremy ****y get out of here!

Is Shockey overrated... NO. Overhyped... I say NO. Like Tom said, the guy is a ROOKIE and just might be better than Tony Gonzalez right now, with no other piers. (Though I like Todd Heap a lot, he's not in their class)

He's a complete jerk. He's fun to hate. But his talent undeniable.

Sehorn is a guy who has lost a lot of his physical ability. You're right, Tom, he should move to FS. He has a knack for the game enough to play there for a few years. And he can definately still catch the ball.

But as long as he's lining up at CB he's going to be a liability as often as not.

JackC,

I would just like to say to you that you are a complete jerk. To wish an injury, legit or not on anyone is absolutely pathetic.

Brave,

I agree, Sehorn should not be a CB any longer. That I totally agree on. And from what I've read, there is a good chance that Sehorn is no longer a Giant before June 1st unless he takes a pay cut which I don't think he will do.

Shockey is a jacka$$ from the same mold as T. Owens and Moss, but he is a stud to be... I can't stand him, but if he could act right, I'd love him on my team.

The TRUE most overhyped player is Michael Vick....

He is going to be great, maybe.

But everyone is chirping up how he singlehandedly beat the packers and so on... I guess he played defense and caused 5 turnovers??? He had a crappy passing day, sure he can move like no one else in the pocket and on the run for a qb, but he is not singlehandedly beating teams... the Falcons have a pretty good defense at times and have played a big part in their success, but you would never know that listening to the media and the average joe.

Archived