Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Close to $20 million on two players! WTF!?

Taco John

Hey fellas...

I was surfing around and I ran across this news, where the 'Skins are in cap hell with Samuels and Arrington... So what's going to go down here? Surely you're not going to pay them...

Redskins | Samuels Hits A Higher Number Too - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

5:41 PT: The Washington Times reports Washington Redskins LT Chris Samuels, also has boosted his 2003 cap figure to enormous levels — between $7.2 and $7.4 million. His number is about 10 percent of the team's 2003 cap allocation.

Redskins | Arrington Hits Big Pay Day - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

5:39 PT: The Washington Times reports Washington Redskins LB LaVar Arrington met a significant trigger in his contract this season that escalates his 2003 salary cap figure to $9.7 million plus a $3 million incentive. The incentive counts against the team's cap. Arrington accounts for about 17 percent of the team's 2003 cap.

Just what the hell is this thing: :jerkoff:

Oh... It's what I thought it was...

Anyway... Samuels must not be everything he was cracked up to be huh? I see some people on this board looking at other LTs (Steinbach). What's the good word on Samuels?

TJ,

Steinbach is a guard, not a tackle. We're set at tackle. Samuels injured is a problem. Samuels healthy is breathtaking. We saw both players this year.

And the story on the guy is he's been in the league three years and he's been in the Pro Bowl twice. That's a nice story.

you are really going to blame Mendes for those contracts? :laugh:

the fact remains that the reason these deals had to be done this way is because the Skins wanted to squeeze every dime out of the cap in 2000 so they could afford Deion, Bruce and Jeff George.

we just seem to keep paying for these mistakes don't we? :)

well, don't worry. the Redskins are the most profitable team in the NFL and Snyder will just have to restructure these deals and give both players more bonus money to stretch them out.

hopefully neither will get a career ending injury that will end up forcing us to blow up half the team :)

RT,

I doubt the report in the Times has a great deal of truth to it. But, whether it does or it does not is less important than remembering what Mendes was doing in 2000. He was a functionary at that time. He designed contracts based upon the team's plan at that time. At that time we were in a very aggressive spending mode. We were signing big bonus contracts and timing them for cap hits at specific times. I suspect Mendes probably did precisely what he needed to do at the time and I suspect he's doing something entirely different at THIS time when he's actually the one making and administering the plan rather than the functionary who's told to do something he may not agree with, and when he's finished, he quits from being exhausted :).

When you pick two guys in the top 3 of a draft, this happens. While the situation was probably aggravated by a desire to fit extra free agents in the budget, there can be no doubting that these guys have been major parts of our team over the last few years. Thier contracts are reflecting the fact that both of them turned into exactly the players we wanted them to be. We can work around this.

-DB

Archived