Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breakdown of 'Skins Starters (postgameheroes.com)

blitzpackage

I just found this website searching for highlights of the Redskins/Steelers game. The breakdowns are pretty in depth including situational information, formations, play results, and minor notes for every play the Redskin's starters ran on offense and defense so far. It's pretty in depth, but it is just one guy's analysis so I wouldn't put to much stock into it. Still, it's a good overview of the games and from what I can tell he'll do this for every 'Skins game this year. Anyway, I thought a few others might get some enjoyment out of seeing this information in a clear and concise way with some humor. Anyway it's called Post Game Heroes. Sorry mods if this site has been mentioned before.

Offense

Defense

Breakdown of Hit on Campbell

That was a great find and I will say it does appear to be much more on Heyer ...but a rookie mistake rather than a fundemental error in his game ...

There was something that did strike me is okay its preseason and different teams are working on different things but the defences seem a little more agressive than in the past ...the Steelers, the Ravens and the Cowboys have all been blitzing like crazy and the Cowboys - Denver game one comment that stuck out was John Lynch - talking about how the Cowboys had broken the spirit of preseason . It can be seen as sour grapes but these games at the end of the day are meaningless.

The only thing I don't agree with is his take on Brandon Lloyd in that game. He acknowledges that Lloyd got hit early but then says he has to make the catch. The DB on that play tried to go over Lloyd and nailed him in the back of the shoulders and head driving him to the ground which is why the ball hit him in the helmet. A millisecond before that the ball was going right into his numbers. No WR makes that catch unless it lodges in their facemask.

One common element that I observed in the breakdown of both preseason games (as well as through watching the games myself), was the presence of Marcus Washington on the defensive line, and the pass rush he was able to get.

I don't think it was a coincidence that Pittsburgh started moving the ball down the field when he left the game with an injury.

We need him back on the field, ASAP.

Like I said you dont know jack ****. The outside LB was showing Blitz. Did Heyer committ to picking him up too early? Only the coaches know.

The OLB was not 7 yards downfield and didn't break into coverage until after the ball snapped.

But I do believe Gibbs has stated that it was Pucillo who was suppose to slide over to pick him up when the OLB is showing blitz.

Only the coaches know what was suppose to happen.

All of this is moot because Campbell had plenty of time to release the ball. The hit on him was uncalled for.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=257

The breakdown of the hit on Jason is pretty terrific. True' date=' we don't know the play, but I doubt there is any play where the left tackle is supposed to block nobody. Heyer sets up in a stance to block the OLB, but the OLB is seven yards away from him in pass coverage.[/quote']

Horsehockey. At the snap of the ball the LB is a yard and a half away from Heyer. In fact when the guy states that Harrison backs out he is still only a yard and a half away from Heyer. Keisel is lined up directly over Pucillo. Pucillo takes a step back and for some unknown reason decides to break off and help out on the guy who had the least penetration of all the lineman and was easily being handled by Rabach. Heyer should have recognized that the LB wasn't coming earlier on and helped out Pucillo and he was probably a little flat-footed but it's not even close to what the guy describes.

Like I said you dont know jack ****. The outside LB was showing Blitz. Did Heyer committ to picking him up too early? Only the coaches know.

The OLB was not 7 yards downfield and didn't break into coverage until after the ball snapped.

But I do believe Gibbs has stated that it was Pucillo who was suppose to slide over to pick him up when the OLB is showing blitz.

Only the coaches know what was suppose to happen.

All of this is moot because Campbell had plenty of time to release the ball. The hit on him was uncalled for.

You're right that only the coaches know what SHOULD have happened. But, Pucillo doubled the NT with Rabach, leaving Heyer with two men to block. The fact that he set up to take the outside blitzer left him vulnerable to the inside move by Keizel. Since there was no way to know before the snap whether or not the blitzer was going to come or drop back, there was actually the potential on the play for Heyer to have been blocking both the blitzing LBer and Keizel. I think that Gibbs' comment cements the fact that Pucillo should have looked to the outside for a man to block before doubling down on the the NT.

You're right that only the coaches know what SHOULD have happened. But, Pucillo doubled the NT with Rabach, leaving Heyer with two men to block. The fact that he set up to take the outside blitzer left him vulnerable to the inside move by Keizel. Since there was no way to know before the snap whether or not the blitzer was going to come or drop back, there was actually the potential on the play for Heyer to have been blocking both the blitzing LBer and Keizel. I think that Gibbs' comment cements the fact that Pucillo should have looked to the outside for a man to block before doubling down on the the NT.

Maybe. Or maybe he read the play correctly that only Keisel was coming, which meant that it was the tackle's responsibility. Against a 3-4, you are almost always going to double-team the NT, especially a really good NT like Hampton. You always block inside out.

Anyway, the Steeler's front seven gives everyone fits - including the Colts - so there is no shame in being fooled by them.

Archived