Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Haven't We Resigned Cooley? FFS

UltimateSkins

One thing that popped in my head right away, and I don't think anyone mentioned it yet is because of the good years Cooley has put.

The Skins are well aware of Cooley's abilitites. If they pay him now, they would have to pay him Top Dollar period. If they wait until the endseason two things can happen:

1. Cooley has an off year or gets injured and the Skins can pay him less than what they would've at the start of the season.

or...

2. Cooley has the same good season as he's had in the previous years, and the Skins would give him his money.

I think they definitely want to re-sign Cooley. The Skins are just waiting to save money in case he gets injured, or he has an off year. Nature of the business.

:2cents:

Does anybody think that maybe we're waiting until the roster is finalized to get an idea of how much cap we have to spend?

I think we're around $6 mil now. If we clear some more out after the rest of our cuts, that number may go up. Then you keep a little in reserve just in case you need to sign someone mid-season in case of injury (God forbid) and the rest can go toward his extension.

There's also the possibility the team knows we will be ridding ourselves of a vet or two or more during the next off-season, clearing some room to give him his fat contract.

One thing that popped in my head right away, and I don't think anyone mentioned it yet is because of the good years Cooley has put.

The Skins are well aware of Cooley's abilitites. If they pay him now, they would have to pay him Top Dollar period. If they wait until the endseason two things can happen:

1. Cooley has an off year or gets injured and the Skins can pay him less than what they would've at the start of the season.

or...

2. Cooley has the same good season as he's had in the previous years, and the Skins would give him his money.

I think they definitely want to re-sign Cooley. The Skins are just waiting to save money in case he gets injured, or he has an off year. Nature of the business.

:2cents:

You forgot option 3. They wait until the end of the season and he pulls a Dockery. If February rolls around with no contract, Cooley is going to see what the market provides.

If Cooley has a great year, with the way the NFL salaries have been going, he will probably become the highest paid TE in history... and not with the Skins.

:(

this is what is in my mind as well...see Dockery...can we afford Cooley and Taylor....oh lord this is going ot be interesting???

Archived